Talk

Advanced search

Peggy?

(31 Posts)
Otterpop Wed 31-Oct-12 21:41:30

I'm not due til May so have loads of time to decide, but Peggy is one of our favourites for if we have a girl at the moment, what do you reckon?Never met or heard of anyone having a little Peggy, is it too different? We'd probably use Rose, May or Anne as a middle name. Thanks!

StrawWars Wed 31-Oct-12 21:42:46

It's a nn for Margaret.

WiseKneeHair Wed 31-Oct-12 21:43:44

I've got an Auntie Peg. She's about 85! grin

zillyzilly Wed 31-Oct-12 21:43:52

I think it's time for a revival. It's a lovely name.

youonlysingwhenyourewinning Wed 31-Oct-12 21:44:39

As a nn for Margeret, it's quite cute. I prefer Maggie though.

I could never call a child Peggy though, as it's the name we use for teeth grin

Harebell Wed 31-Oct-12 21:45:54

Peggy is a lovely name. but then I have a Rose and a May as well. I'm reminded of Peggy Blackett (and her sister Nancy, another lovely name) from Swallows and Amazons, Peggy has always been a favourite of mine

missmakesstuff Wed 31-Oct-12 21:47:29

I have a MIL Peggy...she is 60. I don't like it, sorry. However, I do have a Margaret - which it is a nickname for (I have not a clue why!) and we call her Maggie, Mags, Maggie-moo, Meg - if she decided she wanted to be called Peg or Peggy I wouldn't mind, but wouldn't call her a nickname officially I don't think.

Other nicknames for Margaret are Pearl, Meg, Mags, etc...it's quite versatile!

Otterpop Wed 31-Oct-12 21:51:25

Ooh that was quick, thanks everyone! I like Maggie too (and Meg) but not Margaret unfortunately, it'd be great if I did so we could have a choice of ace nicknames for the full version!

weegiemum Wed 31-Oct-12 21:51:47

My first doll was Peggy! I taught one, she must have left school by now! She was from the far north of Scotland and spelt it Peigi.

Otterpop Wed 31-Oct-12 21:55:41

Pearl is also gorgeous, didn't realise that was also a nickname for Margaret!

DottieRose Wed 31-Oct-12 21:58:55

My moms best friend is called Peggy.....nn for Margaret! I think it's great and would be an for a little girl....Peggy Rose would be divine!

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 31-Oct-12 22:20:44

People are quite likely to make the Eastenders connection. Peggy Mitchell.

edinfirst Wed 31-Oct-12 22:35:19

I really like it, it's cute but also a nice name as she gets older. I hadn't thought of Peggy Mitchell til I read it there

VerySmallSqueak Wed 31-Oct-12 22:39:18

Love it!

I like the flow of Peggie Anne.

Dramajustfollowsme Wed 31-Oct-12 22:39:59

My gran was a Peigi. We are from the highlands. It was a nn for Margaret. I wanted to name my dd after both my grans called Margaret so went for Megan. Peigi and Pearl don't suit our surname.

emalushka Wed 31-Oct-12 22:44:24

A fantastic name. Love it. I have one smile

gussiegrips Wed 31-Oct-12 22:45:33

My 91 year old Grandma is Margaret, known as Peggy.

Daisy is also a nn for Margaret (because of marguerite daisies, rather than what you were drinking when you conceived)

I'd have used it for a name, but settled for middle name. It's a lovely name, proper grown up graceful with lots of nn options.

And, if she turns out like my grandma - watch yourself, she's a handful...

TheDeathAndGories Wed 31-Oct-12 22:46:30

Could you get away with margot with Peggy as a nickname? Though margot is a diminutive of Margaret it seems to be considered a name in its own right

iklboo Wed 31-Oct-12 23:06:08

I know a Peggy. She's as bonkers as a buttered badger in a bandana eating a banana barmcake in Bradford eccentric. She's fab. grin

gussiegrips Wed 31-Oct-12 23:13:13

iklboo - do you know my grandma?

iklboo Wed 31-Oct-12 23:15:30

gussie grin

Otterpop Thu 01-Nov-12 08:59:41

The Peggy Mitchell thing did occur to me, is she still in Eastenders? I haven't watched it for years now! It was Buddy Holly's song Peggy Sue which inspired our train of thought rather than her! Margot is really pretty, I'm adding that to the ever increasing list. Maybe I'll come round to Margaret though, it has so many shortened versions I love after all!

Ham69 Thu 01-Nov-12 10:10:55

James Nesbitt has 2 daughters called Peggy and Mary. Though I wouldn't chose it myself, I can imagine it really suiting a little girl and adult.

birdofthenorth Thu 01-Nov-12 10:53:45

Do it. I know an extremely cute baby Peggy. I think it is one of the best names ever. Wish I'd been brave enough!

birdofthenorth Thu 01-Nov-12 10:55:04

PS the little Peggy I know is just Peggy, not Margeret.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now