Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to be posh to get away with Raphael?

(35 Posts)
MJandherdog Wed 31-Oct-12 14:35:50

I'm due to give birth in Feb but unlike with my dd's name, with this pregnancy I cannot 'make peace' with myself over my ds's name.

I really like Raphael but fear it might fall into the 'too posh' bracket.

I also like Felix (not bothered by the cat connotations- there are far worse things to be compared to!).

I don't really like the idea of a really popular name and don't want anything that's too faddy/ pretentious.

Grateful for your thoughts...I'm a big girl and can handle the truth!

squoosh Wed 31-Oct-12 14:37:33

I don't think it's too posh, but I do think it's gorgeous! And he'll grow up to be very handsome, Raphaels are always handsome.

I'm not a fan of Felix, it's a bit wet for my taste.

MJandherdog Wed 31-Oct-12 14:38:56

Ooh I like the sound of him being handsome! Sold!

OneMoreChap Wed 31-Oct-12 14:40:49

I think Raphael is a fine name.

What do you think of Leonardo, Michelangelo and Donatello? Sorry smile

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Wed 31-Oct-12 14:41:43

Sounds a bit wet to me I'm afraid. Think hairdresser or dancer!

Casmama Wed 31-Oct-12 14:42:35

I too was going to say its appropriate if you are posh or a teenaged mutant ninja turtle blush

Chandon Wed 31-Oct-12 14:45:23

I know a Raphael of 10, mostly called Raf (Raph), which is nice, I think.

It is an angel's name, like Michael and Gabriel.

Is posh bad, anyway?!

MJandherdog Wed 31-Oct-12 14:46:32

I loved the Turtles!

I am concerned about the posh connotations...I always think if you go for a posh name and you're just 'normal' (whatever that means?) that it just appears a bit pretentious.

This is sooooo hard!

squoosh Wed 31-Oct-12 14:52:52

British people are far too aware of not wanting to be seen getting above their station in life.

The only name I think is 'too posh' is Peregrine. To me that is a comedy posh.

Raphael belongs to the people. Raffie is cute on a toddler and Raf works excellently on a teen.

scarevola Wed 31-Oct-12 14:56:24

I think it's a lovely name. I would expect the family either to have Italian connexions or to be observant Christians.

MolotovBomb Wed 31-Oct-12 14:57:11

No - I love Raphael. Although be warned: I adore 'flouncy' boys names - Gabriel, Reuben, Sebastian, Elijah, Amadeo, Ezra.

Chandon Wed 31-Oct-12 15:08:48

It is a common name in catholic countries, and amongst Jewish people. It is only unusual or " posh" in Britain.

This whole being posh and ideas above your station annoy me, may have to start a thread about that!!!!

MJandherdog Wed 31-Oct-12 15:34:10

Good Catholic girl reporting for duty!

Chandon I'd be interested to see what responses you get from your new thread! There are definite names for me that sit in the too posh for me bracket, such as:

Tarquin
St John
Hugo
Rupert

PickledFanjoCat Wed 31-Oct-12 15:35:57

Love raf and raffa..

Reminds me of nadal. Mmmmmm.

Takver Wed 31-Oct-12 15:41:27

I like it a lot - though prefer it spelt Rafael as in Spain (we lived there when dd was born, had she been a ds it would have def. been on my list).

LizLem0n Wed 31-Oct-12 15:43:14

I love it. I wouldn't like Sebastian as I'd see it as being a cliche posh name, like Ptolomy, so I do see your concerns.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 31-Oct-12 15:44:38

Hugo is not posh any more there is at least 5 hugos in dc school and more hughs.

I love the name I almost called my son it, my nans dog is raffa after nadel. Yes it's posh but it's also piratey!

aquavit Wed 31-Oct-12 15:53:06

I love it, my ds is Raphael usually Raf. But his middle name is Sebastian, make of that what you will...
Think there are quite a few Raphaels/Rafaels these days.

MJandherdog Wed 31-Oct-12 15:57:25

I love Sebastian too Aquavit...I've obviously got good taste :-)

I think I'm sold...now I just have to persuade DH...

ISeeThreadPeople Wed 31-Oct-12 15:57:27

My Raphael is called Raph or Rafa or Rafe or RifRaf. We're not posh at all. His middle name is Erasmus though!

We try to tell people he's named after the angel but dd's the biggest ninja turtles fan in the world and she insisted he was called Raphael and it stuck.

I started a thread whilst pregnant with him in 2011 and every single reply was overwhelmingly positive.

Slightly annoyingly 2 other women had Raphaels within months of his birth and they'll be in his school year. Oddly, I taught them at a parentcraft session towards the end of their pregnancies. I showed them how to change nappies and bath the baby. They clearly approved of his name...

MJandherdog Wed 31-Oct-12 16:03:41

Thanks for that ThreadPeople! If I remember correctly:

Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines,
Raphael is cool but crude ("give me a break") (said in annoying US accent)
Michelangelo is a party dude ("part-t-t-t-a-a-y") (Said in equally annoying voice)

It's annoying when it's quite clear that people have been influenced by your choice of names. Within 4 months of my dd being born, two men that I work with, who both commented on what a nice name it was, subsequently called their dds the same name! Herrumph!

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 31-Oct-12 16:13:20

I have a Raphael too, nn Rafe and of course think it's a lovely name! He is 3 in February and I haven't come across any others

flossy101 Wed 31-Oct-12 16:15:07

I love it. Love Raffa for short. Wanted it for my DS but DH is a big bore grin and vetoed it.

MrsHBaby3 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:13:33

I dont think its posh, and so what if it is?
Does Giles fall into the posh catergory?

MJandherdog Wed 31-Oct-12 18:13:37

No but Giles is in MY unusable list along with Nigel, Gordon and Colin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now