Talk

Advanced search

Deciding on the name before the baby is born?

(25 Posts)
Lovelylace Wed 31-Oct-12 09:56:32

I am having a boy in feb, and we have decided on the name Tristan Charles Oscar... have anyone decided on a name that then just does not fit when you see your little baby? Or do they grown into their names so to speak..?

JustFabulous Wed 31-Oct-12 09:59:12

We have decided on all our childrens names before they were born and named them as such. Didn't have any s/he doesn't look like that name feeling and don't understand it really.

RatherBeACyborg Wed 31-Oct-12 10:08:30

We named dd1 but when she was born she didn't really seem to be that name. I can't explain it except to say another name, that I'd always loved but wasn't sure because it is fairly popular, came to mind which just seemed a more obvious choice for her.

We didn't have any expectations for dd2,just a list of a few we liked, then dh emailed a random one the day before she was born, which turned out to be the one.

Lovelylace Wed 31-Oct-12 10:09:39

I think you are right, they dont really look like they will later on in life anyway when they are just out. i think you probably grow into your name too.
Will stick with it as i love the name and have always done.

ProcrastinatingPanda Wed 31-Oct-12 10:25:40

I've never understood the 'oh they don't suit their name' thing that people claim. How can a baby not suit a name confused ? We named DS before he was born and will be naming this one before the birth too.

Snowflakepie Wed 31-Oct-12 10:29:33

If you love the name then it will be right, especially if you have decided on it early, because you will already be thinking of that name when you're chatting to them before they're born. Or maybe that's just me. They're so crumpled at the start anyway, within days everything looks completely different!

cece Wed 31-Oct-12 10:56:48

We had an idea of a name for each of our DC - not a definite name but a this is our favourite one. However, we never told anyone the name and we never used it to refer to the bump. When each of my 3 DC were born none of them looked like the name at the top of our list. Hence they all got given a different name to the one we thought we would use. I have no idea how anyone can name a baby before they have met them.

DD was definitely NOT a Helen.
DS1 was definitely NOT a Samuel.
DS2 was definitely NOt an Edward.

Lovelylace Wed 31-Oct-12 13:43:30

interseting Cece..ohh well i love Tristan, and I hope it suits him when he arrives..

cece Wed 31-Oct-12 13:46:06

Yoou'll soon know once he arrives. smile wink

Lovelylace Wed 31-Oct-12 16:30:32

yeah I hope so, I am already calling him that in the tummy, so reccon I will be fairly set in my way once he comes...

MrsHBaby3 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:09:04

Ive had a shortlist of about 3 names with each of mine and plan to do the same this time and see which one fits/ suits once it arrives.
That allows some flexibility and not a mad panic with pregnancy hormones thrown in
to find a new name!
DC1 was called the top choice, whereas DC2 suited the 3rd choice.
Currently, we are getting nowhere with names and the 'shortlist' has about 12 names on it!
I think royality have the names planned out, dont they?

BellaTheGymnast Wed 31-Oct-12 17:12:57

I'd say definitely choose a name in advance, then when you're tired and hormonally bonkers you won't choose something you'll regret.

zeeboo Wed 31-Oct-12 17:14:17

All of mine were named before birth and I cannot understand at all what people mean when they say "baby didnt look like a such and such"
My babies were their names, ergo they had to look like one!
It's like someone walking up to me and saying "you don't look like a zeeboo" very peculiar.

SparkleSoiree Wed 31-Oct-12 17:15:39

I decided on a name for my first child when I was 11 weeks pregnant and it really suits him.

My mum had me named for months but the day I was born they both looked at and changed their minds! Now I have a more tradition name than the Indiana they were going to name me!

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Wed 31-Oct-12 17:21:54

We have named our baby already. Partly because I don't want to do it while hormonal and under pressure after the birth, and partly to make it more real for our dd.

HappyAsASandboy Wed 31-Oct-12 17:31:39

We had named both of our twins but not told anyone what the names were. We used both names between ourselves while in the hospital (2 days), and then both said we thought our DDs name wasn't right.

So we kept DSs name but changed DDs smile

MrsHoarder Wed 31-Oct-12 17:43:52

We choose his name beforehand, and I was glad when DS was whisked to the resus table he was a person with a name from the moment of his birth.

Never told anyone else or used his name for the bump though.

nahla321 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:59:28

I think all new babies when first born look very similar anyway! If you have chose a name I would still use it. Love the name choice by the way smile

jaffacakehips Wed 31-Oct-12 18:18:29

Well I named my DD when I was about 14 grin. Several years later we used it.

Always always wanted it and lucky DH loved it too. Very handy!

Lords know what we'll call DC2 if /when they arrive hmm

44SoStartingOver Wed 31-Oct-12 18:22:36

We had a list of six for a boy and six for a girl and decided when they were delivered and a few days old.

Dd2 was chosen by both dh and I separately - she absolutely looks her name. Maybe some splodgy baby faces look more like a name than others.

Badgerina Thu 01-Nov-12 09:43:24

I picked DS1's and DS2's names before they were born. I didn't really ever imagine they wouldn't suit their names when I met them.

With DS1 I made a minor adjustment to one of his (many) middle names, but that was down to his Dad not liking my choice, and me having a hissy fit about it on the way to the registry office grin

lakeofshiningwaters Thu 01-Nov-12 18:40:57

With DS, we had picked out his name by 4 months into pg, and that was the only boy name we had. It suits him perfectly although at this moment little pest would be better and it never occurred to me that he wouldn't suit it.

With DD, we had 2 names and hadn't decided. DH got to see her in SCBU first, came back and said that she didn't look like one of the names, she was definitely the other. He'd been adamant that babies suiting names was a load of tosh beforehand! When I saw her later, it was true, she definitely wasn't an Elizabeth. Keeping it in hand for potential DD2...

lakeofshiningwaters Thu 01-Nov-12 18:41:28

P.S. Love Tristan!

ditzydrawers Thu 01-Nov-12 19:02:31

I decided Dd didn't look like the name we had planned so we gave her a different one...only to go back to the original once things had calmed down. Hormones were definitely to blame! Really like your name choice. Stick with it if you love it.

NellyBluth Thu 01-Nov-12 19:19:18

DD was fully named beforehand, first name, middle names and chose whose surname she would have. I also don't get the idea of the baby not looking like their name, babies don't really look like anything. But I think if you have chosen a name, you identify with the bump as that name for so long that you automatically identify the name with the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now