Talk

Advanced search

Cadence - what do you think?

(25 Posts)
iheartmycat Tue 30-Oct-12 23:29:14

DP actually came up with this one (He likes Cadey as a nn - i don't, but am humouring him that i'd go along with it). I think I really like it, but if anyone else heard it, would you think it was chavy? Be honest please!

VirginiaDare Tue 30-Oct-12 23:34:25

Cadey will get misheard as Katie her entire life. I don't like either Cadence or Cadey, to be honest, but the latter is worse.

echidnakid Tue 30-Oct-12 23:35:32

I feel really bad saying this but it does sound a smidge "chavvy" to me. I don't know why really as in many ways its a perfectly nice name. I really dislike the nn Cadey though!

MoonlightandWerewolves Tue 30-Oct-12 23:35:36

I rather like it - lovely meaning too.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 30-Oct-12 23:42:12

It's horrid, and the name of a My Little Pony. Sorry.

strictlovingmum Wed 31-Oct-12 00:00:28

It is actually Cadenza as it has a Latin/Italian origin, it is a lovely name if pronounced properly, very unusual not at all chavy.

Floralnomad Wed 31-Oct-12 00:03:16

Don't like it , doesn't it have something to do with how quickly cyclists pedal?

strictlovingmum Wed 31-Oct-12 00:12:13

No it doesn't, in musical piece Cadenza is part that bridges/pulls everything together, it is repeated several times so to be recognisable and memorable, lovely meaning, I think.
Hence the expression "Play me Cadenza"smile

Floralnomad Wed 31-Oct-12 00:15:13

Not Cadenza , I'm talking about Cadence , I'm pretty sure they are always going on about it during the Tour de France . However I don't like Cadenza either but that's just an opinion ,the world would be very dull if we all agreed

iheartmycat Wed 31-Oct-12 00:45:09

thanks all - gave me quite a lot to think about! Totally agree with the Cadey/Katie thing - I'm really NOT a fan of Cadey, but am still liking Cadence, not keen on Cadenza though, despite the lovely meaning.

I think Cadence may remind me of another name but I just can't put my finger on what it is!

AmberLeaf Wed 31-Oct-12 00:49:55

Makes me think of a Dynasty character.

IHeartKingThistle Wed 31-Oct-12 00:51:18

Cadence is the name for the end of a phrase/piece of music and the order of those chords - related to Cadenza but a different word and thing entirely. Honestly, I am right on this!

It sounds VERY American to me, but it is a pretty sounding word.

HotHotNot Wed 31-Oct-12 01:03:13

I think it is lovely, but as for Chav it is somewhere in between Kayden and Constance....

5madthings Wed 31-Oct-12 01:07:47

i would think you.had left an 'n' out and that it us caNdence. isnt that the name of phineous and ferbs big sister?

ScatterChasse Wed 31-Oct-12 01:10:31

I don't think it's chavvy particularly, I just don't think of it as a name, sorry.

If I hear 'cadence', in my head it's related to chord positions and whether it's imperfect/perfect/plagal etc.!

Greensleeves Wed 31-Oct-12 01:12:07

reminds me of candice

ScatterChasse Wed 31-Oct-12 01:12:44

Floral I've looked it up, in cycling it's the number of revolutions per minute, so basically pedalling speed!

IHeartKingThistle Wed 31-Oct-12 01:20:24

Got to love a good plagal cadence! Aaaaaaaa........mennnnnn. grin

Fluffypoms Wed 31-Oct-12 01:22:22

I like it

nancy75 Wed 31-Oct-12 01:25:34

It is the giant my little pony with wings they are advertising on boomerang

BettyLovesBillie Wed 31-Oct-12 11:18:51

Cadence does sound very chavvy to me!

Ephiny Wed 31-Oct-12 11:42:21

While I like the idea of it, I just don't think Cadence is very nice or elegant as a name, it just doesn't work for me, though Cady is a cute nickname.

Yes a cadenza is a different thing in music, it's an improvised usually quite virtuosic solo. I wouldn't use it as a name either, maybe the similar sounding Carenza/Kerenza which is quite nice and is an actual recognisable name!

ScabbyColdCrustyCatPuss Wed 31-Oct-12 13:16:17

I really like it, but agree with Cadey/katie. The other no too good options are Den or dense! But you could use Cay, I like that.

iheartmycat Wed 31-Oct-12 21:01:54

thanks all! i've decided this is a no-no, i think it was the cycling and my little pony references that put me off!! and thinking about it, it's a bit like a mix between Prudence, Constance and Kayden!

slambang Wed 31-Oct-12 21:05:27

There was a baby Cadence on Jeremy Kyle the other day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now