Talk

Advanced search

Opinions please

(14 Posts)
MintChocChip147 Tue 30-Oct-12 18:23:34

Don't know if I'm having a boy or girl yet but want some advise from all you wise people!

My favourite name for a girl is Annabel BUT my name is Anna and I don't want people to think I'm naming her after me. I know it's similar but I see the name Annabel as more like Isabel, but not so popular if you see what I mean? Would people just think I couldn't come up with anything else so have named her after myself? Would it be too confusing having Anna and Annabel living in the same house? Am I just over thinking this way too much???!!!!

Other girls names on our list include Lillian, ELiza, Violet, Rose, Catherine (shortened to Kit/Kitty), Margaret (shortened to Meg), Harriet.

Boys names we like are Alistair, Fraser, Struan, Gordon,
Boys middle names will probably be Robert Alexander

As you can probably tell, we are going for quite traditional, beautiful girls names, and strong Scottish boys names so any more suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

rubyslippers Tue 30-Oct-12 18:25:44

Much prefer Lillian to Anabelle

Which is very similar to Anne!

MintChocChip147 Tue 30-Oct-12 18:27:12

Forgot to say, Josephine is also on our girls list!

FrightRunScream Tue 30-Oct-12 18:31:39

Josephine is my favorite by far. It is one of my absolute favourite girls names ever.

BedHog Tue 30-Oct-12 18:34:52

I like Josephine, with the nickname Effie.

Not sure about the boys names, esp Gordon. I quite like Angus though if you like Scottish names.

LittleAbruzzenBear Tue 30-Oct-12 18:37:56

I like all your girl's names!

PhyllisDoris Tue 30-Oct-12 18:43:32

I like Annabel, but would avoid with your first name. Too confusing.

Lyftiduft Tue 30-Oct-12 18:53:13

Like your girls names except Violet- not as strong sounding to me.

Don't think you can really have Alistair and Alexander as part of the same name, as they are the same name? www.behindthename.com/name/alasdair Love Alistair though (know a few lovely ones) and have an Alex!

MintChocChip147 Tue 30-Oct-12 18:55:39

Yes, middle name for boy is not definite. If we went for Alistair as first name we wouldn't use Alexander as the middle name. Thanks for all your opinions! Any more suggestions, especially for girls names would be great as there isn't one that I love out of them all.

Notnowcato Tue 30-Oct-12 20:31:35

I think Anna and Annabel might be a little confusing, which is a great shame as they are both lovely names. I knew a Josephine who hated her name because of the 'not now' connection. I don't think she'd thought of the nickname Effie, though, which is lovely.

honeytea Tue 30-Oct-12 20:36:34

What about Arabella?

I think Kitty and Meg are lovely names smile

amck5700 Tue 30-Oct-12 22:05:58

I like Kizzy as short for Catherine smile - Not keen on Annabel even without the Anna/Annabel thing. 2nd fave would be Margaret/Meg.
I like your boys names, Struan was a favourite of mine but OH hated it.

mathanxiety Wed 31-Oct-12 02:25:00

When the baby is born your name will change to Mummy. So not confusing at all. Go with Annabel if you love the name.

I like Josephine too. And Catherine (Kit/Kitty).

I love all your boys' names.

messtins Wed 31-Oct-12 07:53:50

IMHO Anna and Annabel are too similar.

I like Josephine (lovely NN potential) and Eliza or Elizabeth.
Alistair my preference from your boys list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now