Talk

Advanced search

Mila?

(20 Posts)
mummabug Tue 30-Oct-12 09:33:45

Pronounced Meela. What say you, Mumsnetters?!

Gwennan Tue 30-Oct-12 10:01:43

It's not a bad name but, for some reason, I just can't get excited about it!

I think it's because it just seems a bit blah in the midst of names like Amelia, Emilia, Mia, Maya, Millie, Layla, Lila, and so on. Just a variation on a theme which, in my opinion, has already been done to death! For what it's worth, it'd probably fit right in in most classrooms across the country, is easy to spell, and easy to pronounce.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Tue 30-Oct-12 10:22:48

I wouldn't have known how to pronounce it unless you'd said, I would have thought it sounded like the feminine version of Milo (ie My-lo). Depends if that bothers you. It sounds more like a NN for Amelia to me if pronounced Mee-la. How about Mina as an alternative?

Pleasenomorepeppa Tue 30-Oct-12 10:23:44

Really like it smile.

Snowflakepie Tue 30-Oct-12 11:08:02

Like it, I know a little Milla which is maybe more obvious in how it is said, although different to yours. Agree that it could be a nickname for many other names, so you might get a lot of 'is that her real name' etc. Not too wacky though!

AlexanderS Tue 30-Oct-12 11:14:04

If it was spelt Mila I would expect it to be pronounced 'my-la'. If you want people to automatically say Meela I think that's how you're going to have to spell it. In my opinion it's quite chic pronounced my-la. Mee-la I'm not so keen on, it sounds made-up.

upanddown83 Tue 30-Oct-12 16:04:04

Love it so pretty good choice!

manicinsomniac Tue 30-Oct-12 17:39:00

I always though it was Mi-la (only ever seen it written down)

I like Mi-la and My-la but not Mee-la sorry

babyblabber Tue 30-Oct-12 20:20:16

I love it but DH vetoed it. Mila Kunis is gorgeous but even that didn't sway him!

emmyloo2 Wed 31-Oct-12 08:31:49

It's a nickname for a slavic name (can't remember the full name) so I don't see it is a real name. Mila Kunis is Czech and Mila Jovovic is Croatian (I think).

Plus agree with Gwennan. To me it just falls in with all the other Lola, Lila, Lily type names which have absolutely been done to death.

Furthermore, I know about 4 baby Milas born in the last 6 months.

mummabug Wed 31-Oct-12 11:17:59

It's short for Milena and yes it's slavic!! I hear what you're saying about being similar to the other popular names of the moment.

I do really like it though, but my mum and partner have vetoed. sigh

ALittleBitOfMagic Wed 31-Oct-12 23:02:36

Love it . But then I love mila kunis . Her full name is milena if you like that ?

zillyzilly Wed 31-Oct-12 23:04:11

Can also be short for Lyudmila. smile

mathanxiety Thu 01-Nov-12 01:19:48

I love it. Shame about your mum and partner. Can you not talk at least one of them round?

Strawhatpirate Thu 01-Nov-12 01:40:38

Love it 10/10

nooka Thu 01-Nov-12 05:30:30

My niece is called Mila, pronounced Mi-la. I like longer names personally but it suits her.I've seen a few threads here on Mila/Milla and lots of different pronunciations suggested, so that might be an issue.

VintageRainBoots Thu 01-Nov-12 06:16:28

Mila means "word" in Hebrew.

mummabug Thu 01-Nov-12 07:18:19

mathanxiety my mum and partner are set on Perdy (Perdita)

mathanxiety Thu 01-Nov-12 14:05:31

Would Pernilla be an acceptable compromise?

Perdy is very 'New Avengers' to me (child of the 60s) and all I think of when I hear that name is that bowl on the head hair style. Everyone in my school had it in the 70s.

Dita is a much nicer NN imo.

aufaniae Thu 01-Nov-12 15:33:26

Love it smile Great name IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now