Talk

Advanced search

Girls names confusion - help please!

(28 Posts)
BigW Mon 29-Oct-12 16:02:49

DH and I have been trying to think of girls names with no luck. We would like to give our LO a Hebrew name but do not want it to be too difficult or unusual in English.

We are team yellow and the boy’s name is pretty much finalised. Just don’t know what to do about the girl’s name. Please take a look at our list – not overly sold on any of them TBH but would welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Ariella (could shorten to Ella if she wanted a more ‘English’ sounding name)
Ofira
Orli
Chanah (Could be Hannah in English)
Ayala

Or should we just go for an English name and be done with it? Or hope that it’s a boy and stop worrying!

cloggs142 Mon 29-Oct-12 16:08:48

i love the name ariella. think its lovely. and like you say, could always shorten it to ella for more english sounding. i think shell be proud of her name though, and its always lovely to have something a little exotic. My partners name is seth caleb and he loved having a different name through school etc. ( well, it was different and exotic at the time. lol) also think orli is funky. smile

cloggs142 Mon 29-Oct-12 16:10:09

ayla or eila?

HollyMadison Mon 29-Oct-12 16:31:31

Meitel. Mei for short.

AThingInYourLife Mon 29-Oct-12 16:34:20

I like Ofira.

Ariella is the name of one of the characters on Tree Fu Tom.

Gwennan Mon 29-Oct-12 16:46:15

Ariella is gorgeous - love it! Also like Ayala.

Not bowled over by any of the others, I'm afraid.

I don't know many Hebrew names but I have come across and liked the following:
Tova
Levia
Ora
Shira
Shoshana
Ayelet
Mayim
Tamar
Roni
Talia
Noya
Zohar
Rivka
Tzofia

BigW Mon 29-Oct-12 16:55:14

Thanks guys - I really appreciate you all getting back to me and taking the time to think about alternatives, you are lovely!

I like Ariella too I think, but is it a bit mermaidy? I have never heard of Tree Fu Tom, but have just googled it and guess I will be getting much more familiar with it over the coming years!! grin

VintageRainBoots Mon 29-Oct-12 17:03:12

Chaya is our daughter's Hebrew name. It's close to my mother's English name (my mother died when I was rather young), and I wanted to honour her.

Personally, I like Ora (light), Shira (song), Tova (good), and Hanna/Channah that other PPs suggested.

My middle name is Yovel (jubilee). I don't think Yovel is the prettiest name, but I like Jubilee a lot. IMHO, Jubilee would be a beautiful name.

Gwennan Mon 29-Oct-12 17:04:16

I don't think it's too mermaidy! I don't think any adult would bat an eyelid at Ariella/Ariel. As for children, they might pick up on it but, really, what little girl doesn't want to share her name with a Disney character?

Snowflakepie Mon 29-Oct-12 17:17:58

I love Ariella, unusual and pretty. The characters in the shows are nice, so not a problem. After all a new show could come out with different names at any time! Not something to worry about, IMO.

Fluffyfish Mon 29-Oct-12 19:20:24

I love Orli.

What about Chava?

ruby22 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:52:18

I used to know a girl called Elisheva, known as Ellie. Always liked it.

ruby22 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:53:25

Her sister was Daniella which works v well in both English and Hebrew.

Devora Mon 29-Oct-12 19:55:40

There's always Devora [coughs diplomatically]

I like all your names, especially Ayala and Chanah. How about Tali or Tamara?

I like lots of Gwennan's suggestions, but the only Zohar I know is male.

Whatasecret Mon 29-Oct-12 19:58:50

Ariella is my favourite name ever and it is my niece's name. I also love Eliana / Eliane as an alternative and both can be shortened to Ellie.

ruby22 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:08:42

Dahlia- pronounced dar-lia not day-lia

DontCallMeMummyPig Mon 29-Oct-12 20:11:27

Dalia or Talia? Naomi?

DontCallMeMummyPig Mon 29-Oct-12 20:11:44

Tali?

DontCallMeMummyPig Mon 29-Oct-12 20:12:05

Evelyn?

Wetthemogwai Mon 29-Oct-12 20:17:14

My names Rachel, very English but still Hebrew (if that makes sence?!)
Love Orli, I have an Orla who's nn Orli

GoldPlatedNineDoors Mon 29-Oct-12 20:21:05

Veda (like the girl of My Girl)

NotChristmasCarol Mon 29-Oct-12 20:31:19

I have an Eliane (I was looking for a Hebrew name that my now-XH would tolerate... Long story, the "X" was probably inevitable).

I thought it was elegant and feminine and I was also inspired by this namesake.

crockydoodle Mon 29-Oct-12 20:37:38

Elana? Meaning oak tree.

NotChristmasCarol Mon 29-Oct-12 21:01:43

And there's Esther, which I love.

And Abigail/Avigail.

Or Dafna or Eliora for a more Israeli feel.

BigW Mon 29-Oct-12 22:13:48

Thanks everyone - really lovely suggestions. I like Eliana, but that is my Hebrew name! Also like the traditional names like Rachel and Leah but I know so many if them I think it might be a bit weird.

Also, we think the middle name might be Rebecca after a family member. I think Orli goes well with Rebecca. Ariella Rebecca is a bit of a mouthful?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now