Talk

Advanced search

Edie - too popular?

(15 Posts)
pinkpeony4 Mon 29-Oct-12 09:38:27

Hi there

I was wondering what people think of the name Edie? Do you think it is going to become very popular like Evie?

Is there anything else you could have as a longer version apart from Edith?

Many thanks

echidnakid Mon 29-Oct-12 10:32:31

I really like it and don't see it becoming as popular as Evie.

The only longer versions I can think of (apart from Edith) are Edina or maybe Edwina at a stretch.

Gwennan Mon 29-Oct-12 11:12:07

Edie is not too popular (ranking at #239) but it is quite trendy. Edith is in fact more popular than it (#206).

It sounds like a lot of other names:
Evie (#11)
Eva (#33)
Ellie (#28)
Elsie (#87)
Eve (#129)

This would put me off. I don't mind popular names - I could cope with my daughter being Olivia X. in a class with an Olivia Y., for instance - but it'd annoy me if my daughter Edie was in a class with an Evie, Eve, Eva, Evelyn, Ellie, Ella, and Elsie, even if she was the only one called Edie!

If you like Edith and Edie, perhaps you might like Judith and Judy too.

coldcupoftea Mon 29-Oct-12 11:14:39

I like it- it could be short for Meredith, which I think is lovely and very under used.

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 29-Oct-12 11:17:20

I prefer Edith, but it's quite nice. Just please don't hyphenate it with some bizarre other name like 'Ray' because that's just revolting.

Mama1980 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:17:48

I really love it but I do know 2 under 5

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 29-Oct-12 11:18:08

Sorry - I'm sure you wouldn't but we know someone who did! <screams>

smogwod Mon 29-Oct-12 11:26:01

There's 3 Edie's in DD's class, so v popular where I am. I guess it depends where you live.

survivingautumn Mon 29-Oct-12 11:26:31

I know a little Edith and it is my dd's middle name but I love it - prefer Edith to Edie personally. I can't see it getting as popular as Evie has become but you never can tell...

I guess you could also have Eden but can't see why you would need to shorten that. Meredith would be a lovely longer version as suggested above.

janey68 Mon 29-Oct-12 11:55:12

It does seem to be one of those names that's surging in popularity - only one in ds's class at primary school, but there are 2 in reception class and I also know two newborns named Edith, but known as Edie. I do think Edith is a pretty name (far nicer than Edie) but I agree with the above poster who says its very similar to the Evie/ Ellie type names

echidnakid Mon 29-Oct-12 12:19:28

Love the idea of Meredith with the nn Edie!

Snowflakepie Mon 29-Oct-12 17:29:31

I know an Eden who gets called Edie for nn, but only the one. Amusingly old people seem to mishear DD as Edie when she is Evie. So I can appreciate there are a lot of names that sound like it, which can be as annoying as having the same name. Unlikely to become really popular in its own right tho, IMO.

pinkpeony4 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:36:35

Thank you everyone. I do worry that it sounds so similar to the Evie/Ella/Ellie names etc...

Ebb Tue 30-Oct-12 14:26:08

I think it's pretty. I know an Edelyn with the nn Edie.

MrsHBaby3 Thu 01-Nov-12 17:49:38

Sorry but I dont like Edie on its own, it makes me think of a mis spelt Eddie.
Edith is my nans name so I see it as really old fashioned and not in a good way, sorry!
I like Eden though, esp if you have a little bit of faith, but Meredith is great to shorten to Edie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now