Talk

Advanced search

Best Method of Choosing a Name?

(13 Posts)
Tigertots Mon 29-Oct-12 01:04:02

Hi, I'm wondering how most people decide on a name. Do couples go through the alphabet, thinking of the prettiest name(s) they've ever heard beginning with each letter? Then see which names are on both their lists? Then narrow it down to those which have a special, personal significance? (For example, I might choose Susan over another beautiful name, because one of my best friends at university was called Susan.)

I think that's how I'd do it, if I was going to have a kiddy.

Longdistance Mon 29-Oct-12 01:41:39

We went through the alphabet. Wrote down the names we liked, around 5 of them. Chose the best of the 5. Waited for dd's to be born, and hoped the best name would suit. Luckily they did suit, but had 4 others as back up.

echidnakid Mon 29-Oct-12 02:37:31

We knew we had a "type" of name that we liked and threw suggestions at each other (it was mostly me suggesting though!)

I also looked at baby name books, the telegraph birth announcements, our family trees etc for inspiration,

We went into hospital with a shortlist of two for each gender, just in case the preferred name didn't suit our baby.

NosFarlotu Mon 29-Oct-12 06:07:03

We went through a couple of books and wrote down each one we liked, made a shortlist of the ones we had in common and then chose the one we felt suited her best when she arrived. Seems to have worked as she still likes it at 6yo although she says she would have preferred Sparklecrystal so thank goodness they don't choose their own names once they are old enough that they could.

FrightRunScream Mon 29-Oct-12 06:25:52

I have 2 DCs with three given names each. All are names with personal/family significance. As are those of my three siblings and I.

messtins Mon 29-Oct-12 12:48:40

We each came up with a list of suggestions, ruled out those which either of us disliked, which left us with a very short list, then considered the meanings. We ended up with 2 or 3 names before baby was born. Middle names are after family members so no arguing there.

Snowflakepie Mon 29-Oct-12 17:25:07

I went through a baby book and wrote down everything I loved, then filtered it while at work (if yelled across the shop I work in, scrubbed off instantly). Had about 10, with 1 that I really loved but which was popular. After finding out DD was a girl, said to DH did he have any ideas and he came up with one name... The same one I loved on my list. Job done. DC2 may not prove quite so easy...

Dogsmom Mon 29-Oct-12 17:35:57

We spent ages on opposite ends of the settee on our phones reading through lists, saying aloud ones we liked and usually shaking our heads or wrinkling our noses, lol

There were a handful we agreed on and once we knew the sex from the scan we decided to use one name a week when talking about her instead of calling her 'it' or 'the baby', this way we could see if it fit and felt right.

There are some names you think you like until you come to use them and they stick in your throat.

ALittleBitOfMagic Mon 29-Oct-12 17:43:41

With DD I just sort of liked names I had heard around then one night watching tv a name popped out at me from the programme and o instantly fell in love with it and that was what she was named .

This time around I'm finding it so hard we have three baby name books we have went through alll our DVDs and CDs and still nothing ! An we know the sex this time ! confused

PurpleGentian Tue 30-Oct-12 13:43:17

We had a couple of baby name books that we looked through.

I made a list of names I liked, DH made a list of names he liked, and we talked through the ones we both liked to make a shortlist.

We had a shortlist of about 2 or 3 for each gender by the time DS was born.

tilder Tue 30-Oct-12 13:52:22

I made lists. Then edited to remove the weird ones. I blame the hormones.

I don't get the need to avoid top 100 names either. They are popular for a reason. Go with your instinct and choose q name you like.

eatyourveg Tue 30-Oct-12 13:55:29

we wanted names that would fit in just as well on the playing fields on Eton as in a grotty pub in a dodgy part of town. Started with royal names and worked our way back through history and chose 3 that also had cor blimey rings to them

DharmaBumpkin Wed 31-Oct-12 20:50:49

I suggested what felt like 100's of names to DH, who turned up his nose at them all.

Then while out for a walk he suggested a name that I had called my first doll and my first cat! Would never have picked it as one he would like though smile so hadn't even bothered suggesting it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now