Talk

Advanced search

Perdita, Vida, Juno?

(20 Posts)
mummabug Sun 28-Oct-12 06:28:01

My OH loves Perdita because we can use the nickname Perdy.

I like Vida but he hates it.

I think Juno is cute, he thinks it's okay.

Opinions please ? smile

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 28-Oct-12 06:34:05

I do like Perdita but it always reminds me of 101 Dalmatians. Vida and Juno are ok but I don't love them (and couldn't imagine calling a child them for some reason - they seem very adult names).

mummabug Sun 28-Oct-12 06:47:36

If anything I like the connotation of Perdita with 101 Dalmations...love that book/film! I'm worried it's a bit 'posh' sounding, in a negative way?

I really love Vida but haven't gotten very positive reactions so far.

Another option is Madeleine/Madeline. But our DD is called Amelie and although the names go together nicely...Madeleine reminds me of that poor little girl and her sister is called Amelie too.

echidnakid Sun 28-Oct-12 06:54:23

I like Perdita/Perdy best from your list and also thinks it goes best with Amelie.

Juno (despite being a goddess name) is too strongly linked to the film for me and as such seems very "of the moment" and possibly a bit faddish, sorry!

I like Vida.

NarcolepsyQueen Sun 28-Oct-12 07:01:51

I am surprised. Amelie is a soft sounding name, and your 3 choices above are hard sounding. Have you any other ideas?

mummabug Sun 28-Oct-12 07:09:59

I think Vida is soft sounding.

I know what you mean about Juno though..doesn't really 'go' with Amelie. I think Perdita sort of goes okay though?

I like Vivienne but OH hates it. I also liked Juliet but again only got negative reactions from family members including OH and that's put me right off it now. Love Violet but apparently doesn't go with surname and again OH hates it!

Love Edith/Edie but OH's other daughter (whom he doesn't get to see, huge contentious problems with her mother etc) is called EVIE. Edie is too close isn't it.

mummabug Sun 28-Oct-12 07:20:32

I also like Francesca but haven't put it past OH yet

SilveryMoon Sun 28-Oct-12 07:21:51

Love Vivienne.
Juliet is lovely but hate Julie.
From your original list I prefer Perdita

ChessieFL Sun 28-Oct-12 07:23:27

Perdita and juno just make me think of jilly cooper! And Vida from the coldplay album.

StrawberryMojito Sun 28-Oct-12 08:14:08

Not keen on your first 3 choices but Perdy is cute. Love Violet and Francesca, quite like Juliet.

What about Jessica, Leah, Zara, Eleanor, Alice, Phoebe, Tess, Nicole, Sophia, Claudia?

CaptainNancy Sun 28-Oct-12 08:17:42

I like them all.
What about Delta?
Or honor?

PurplyWurply Sun 28-Oct-12 10:08:27

I always wonder why anyone uses Perdita, it seems such a sad name because it means "lost".

Binkybix Sun 28-Oct-12 10:12:55

How is Perdita pronounced? It so strongly reminds me of Polo (the book) which is a good thing in my mind smile

Cabrinha Sun 28-Oct-12 10:46:27

Not keen on any, sorry!
Perdita is my least favourite - never understand why people would choose a name so close to perdition.
Vida - sounds like a model of car "Ford Vida"
Juno - nicest of the lot but I think it sounds quite masculine (I know it's not!) but the "o" usually is.

jaffacakehips Sun 28-Oct-12 10:47:55

What about Vita?

Not keen on Perdita - but the nm is cute.

I've had Juno on my list for years - Is it becoming 'faddy' or 'off the moment' as ech mentioned? Bugger shock

RosannaBanana Sun 28-Oct-12 11:00:57

I like Vida a lot. Other V names? Eg Verena, Vera, Vita, Verity, Vada, Viola...

CarriMarie Sun 28-Oct-12 12:14:55

I think Juliet goes well with Amelie, but also like Verity, has a similar sound to Perdita but prettier.

mummabug Sun 28-Oct-12 19:59:53

Thank you for all your feedback!

Perdita is pronounced Per-dee-ta. I don't mind the meaning 'Lost', OH and I don't observe name meanings really...but don't think I'm keen enough to go for it.

I do kind of think of a tomboy when I hear 'Juno', and sounds a bit American-y too (because of the film?). I think it's 'cool' but I suppose I would like something a bit more feminine. Vida really isn't very popular with anyone so think I will have to listen and forget about that name.

Thanks for your name suggestions, all either vetoed by OH or already taken by friends/relatives sad

Have both JUST discovered we both really like Lucia. Pronounced Lu-chee-ah.
It's the new top contender..until we change our minds again sad gah.

mathanxiety Sun 28-Oct-12 21:07:32

I don't really like Perdita. Means 'lost'.

I like Vida and Juno a lot. Also Vita and June...

How about Pernilla? Nice Swedish name.
Lucia is lovely (more Swedish associations). Lucy is lovely too imo.

mathanxiety Sun 28-Oct-12 21:08:35

Purdy is very New Avengers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now