Talk

Advanced search

Nova?

(46 Posts)
MyLastDuchess Sat 27-Oct-12 14:02:17

Running out of time to find a name that works in both Dutch and English. DD is due in a few weeks and you get three days after the birth to register the name. Name changes aren't allowed in this country (NL) so the pressure is on! grin

I haven't found anything I really LOVELOVELOVE, DP likes Lina (I don't mind it, but I don't like 'Lena' - no offence to any Lenas or mums of Lenas - and they sound the same in English) and his second choice is Nova. What do you think?

I used to know a Nova years ago, she was nice enough. There was also a car called a Nova in my native Australia, but it is no longer in production.

DS is called Tom (not Thomas, just Tom).

What do you think?

pixiestix Sat 27-Oct-12 14:43:25

I really like it.

I've only met one Nova - she was Polish and an utter bimbo grin but thats completely irrelevant!

SoulTrain Sat 27-Oct-12 14:44:40

As in Vauxhall? hmm

Bunbaker Sat 27-Oct-12 14:50:45

Vauxhall Nova. I used to drive one. Also no va means doesn't work in Spanish. Which is why the Vauxhall Nova had to be called something else in Spanish speaking countries.

I think most people would think of the car though.

Fluffanstuff Sat 27-Oct-12 14:52:37

I would think of a shabby old vauxhall nova to be honest with you

lisaro Sat 27-Oct-12 14:53:21

If it's twins you could call the other Corsa.

fanoftheinvisibleman Sat 27-Oct-12 14:53:36

I had a friend with a sister called Nova (probably in her 50's or 60's now). I can't say it's a name I love but it never made me think of the car either.

BarbieDahl Sat 27-Oct-12 14:53:54

I quite like it. Made me think of Super nova, isn't that some kind of star?

FrightRunScream Sat 27-Oct-12 15:00:57

Again, makes me think of small, old cars.

thereinmadnesslies Sat 27-Oct-12 15:02:03

My first rustbucket car was a nova

NotChristmasCarol Sat 27-Oct-12 16:59:34

What about Nina? (I'm also originally from Australia and I hear "gotta get a Holden Nova! Cos that's the car I like!") <dates self badly>

mrsbugsywugsy Sat 27-Oct-12 17:15:51

would make me think of a vauxhall nova

'no va' means 'doesn't go' in Spanish

Lisaro I went to school with a Kauser (pronounced 'corsa'), her nickname was vauxhall grin

BillysBeastlyBogeyman Sat 27-Oct-12 17:17:32

Nova - car, No Go, and Scotia in that order. I'm not keen, sorry

VirginiaDare Sat 27-Oct-12 17:18:37

I wouldn't think of a car at all, I would think of a radiant star.

Lovely. Also in a similar vein, how about Lyra or Stella?

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 17:22:35

Scotia.

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 17:22:53

Oooh LYRA is gorgeous!

ScreamyShriekyFrightyWoozyWooo Sat 27-Oct-12 17:26:49

I have a friend called Nova. When I was first introduced to her, I did think of the car, and supernova, but it soon became just her name.

It's unusual here, but I like it. smile

lljkk Sat 27-Oct-12 17:53:39

Chevy Nova.
Nadia? Katya?

MolotovBomb Sat 27-Oct-12 18:22:40

I just think of Casanova - maybe I've watched American Pie too much?

Something starry, but not Nova, maybe?

MyLastDuchess Sat 27-Oct-12 20:07:53

NotChristmasCarol same with me, I've had that jingle running through my head all day!

Never heard of a Vauxhall Nova (only the Holden Nova), and don't have many English friends so am not that worried about that part of it. Which is not to say that I don't appreciate the responses wink, I truly do.

Also not worried about what it means in Spanish, only Dutch & English smile

Nina is lovely but really common here. Lyra would be pronounced more like "Laira" (as in 'naice ham') in Dutch and I'm not that keen on that part. Plus I think we would have to spell it Lijra/Lÿra which would make English speakers confused. Same problem with Katya, it is Katja in Dutch and anyway I don't like it.

I've kind of been thinking of 'Stella' but not sure if it's too common these days? I also love 'Sterre' (Dutch name) but DP doesn't.

I have suggested lots of lovely sensible names like Elizabeth/Elisabeth but DP has vetoed them all.

Aaargh!

MyLastDuchess Sat 27-Oct-12 20:10:17

My first car was a Pulsar, that would be in keeping with the starry theme.

Arithmeticulous Sat 27-Oct-12 20:34:36

Ninke, Merel, Beatrix - I like Stella too.

Nova is Vauxhall, Casa/Super etc.

BriocheDoree Sat 27-Oct-12 20:50:14

Madeleine, Carla, Clara, Elsbeth...
Just thinking of Dutch girls I have known whose names work in English grin

NotChristmasCarol Sat 27-Oct-12 21:39:41

Duchess I had a Laser, which is in keeping with the intergalactic theme, but I prefer Stella for a girl grin

I'm in London and, in three years' worth of DD1 at nursery and now school, I've not come across a single Stella. I think it is elegant and timeless in both look and sound. It would be on my list for DD2 but our surname has a double LL and an "ah" ending so it's a no go.

And damn that jingle!!

NotChristmasCarol Sat 27-Oct-12 21:43:40

Anouk? I loved this from another recent thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now