Talk

Advanced search

Eeek! Little face doesn't match name we had picked out

(40 Posts)
Barbafamiily Thu 25-Oct-12 10:40:28

Uh oh! Gave birth three days ago and the name that we had thought of for our little boy, now that he is born, doesn't seem right any more, and am not convinced by any of our back ups either! We live in Spain, my husband is Spanish, I am English so we were looking for a name that sounded nice (if not the same) in both languages. We had thought of Oliver, which although is really common in the UK, is still quite different here, but is recognised and easily pronounced. But now we are just not seeing it as he looks much more of a Latin baby than English (husband has stamped out all my genes!)
The other names we had were Bruno, Dario, Hugo and Ruben which are all recognisable names here but am not 100% convinced by any of them.
He looks like a Jack or a Barnaby (he's a strapping little fellow!) but these names are too English for my DH. Neither is he keen on too Biblical sounding names. And I am not keen on the really common names here like Pablo or Javier because they don't feel special enough (am crazy in love!)
Any ideas / suggestions REALLY welcomed
Thanks!

eatyourveg Thu 25-Oct-12 10:48:51

Giacomo (nn Jack) or Samuele (nn Sam) ?

SummerRain Thu 25-Oct-12 10:53:24

When ds2 was born I found it really hard to attache his name to him... He looked so much like his big brother I couldn't get my head around him having as different name! But within a few weeks ot started to fit him and now he couldn't be anything else.

Why don't you leave it a couple of weeks and see if the name starts to fit him as his personality develops?

Notnowcato Thu 25-Oct-12 14:17:20

Def wait and see ... how long do they give you in Spain. No baby looks like his/her name. They just look like babies who need milk, cuddles and their precious heads kissing. It took us right up to the six week deadline to settle on our third child's name.

Also, my strapping, burly, vigorous newborn (our family nickname for him was Henry VIII!!) is now a sensitive, reflective, long-and-stringy 8 year old.

Snazzyspookyandscary Thu 25-Oct-12 14:19:10

Joseph? or whatever the Spanish spelling would be? Can be Joe when in England.

botandhothered Thu 25-Oct-12 14:45:58

Oscar?

DialMforMummy Thu 25-Oct-12 14:49:56

Arlo?

VenusRising Thu 25-Oct-12 14:51:06

I like Ruben.

FWIW my DD didn't look like our name for her either, so we changed it completely to something I thought of when I was about 6 months. My Dh and I are from different countries as well, so we chose a name from neither.

At about 18 months she called herself the name we use for her now anyway!

VenusRising Thu 25-Oct-12 14:51:24

Oh Congratulations BTW!

sununu Thu 25-Oct-12 14:56:35

Congrats!
Rafael (nn Rafa in Spain or Raf in UK)

almapudden Thu 25-Oct-12 14:59:39

Otto?

Santiago (I love that name)?

Ignacio?

botandhothered Thu 25-Oct-12 15:49:25

Lluis?
Lucas?

shinyblackgrape Thu 25-Oct-12 16:03:26

Raphael? My cousin is married to a Spanish Raphael - shortened to Raffa which I love!

I also really like Seve As shortened from Severiano. However, I understand in Spain that this might be a really uncool old man's name and akin to calling him Percy!

My nephew is Sebastian and I love how that is pronounced in Spain. Think might be spelled "sebastien" in Spain?

Congratulations!

shinyblackgrape Thu 25-Oct-12 16:04:52

rafa - I mean for shortened version. Sorry for typos!

MrClaypole Thu 25-Oct-12 16:06:12

Congratulations!

How about these?
Isaac
Gabriel
Ivan/Evan
Joel
Jacob
Thomas/Tomas
Sebastian
Lucas
Leo
Natanial (Nate for short?)
Oscar
Alex/Alexander
Elias
Benjamin
Emanuel
Felix

Barbafamiily Fri 26-Oct-12 07:57:24

Wow, thanks very much all! Some great suggestions and I am going to do as you suggest, ignore all the "what is his name" questions and give it more time. I was in a panic because officially her you have 8 days to register a birth. But having spoken to the register they say that if you justify it you can have up to 30. And the justification is enough just me saying that I couldn't make it in before hand!
Thanks again

Barbafamiily Fri 26-Oct-12 07:59:42

And notnowcato that made me laugh. You are right, what is big and burly at a few days old might not be further down the track!

turniptop Fri 26-Oct-12 09:38:39

Izan?
Tadeo?

Maybe go for Olivier instead of Oliver - still recognisable and pronounceable in english, but more mediterranean sounding to suit his swarthy looks.

I agree though that they can change a lot in their looks from newborn, so perhaps just go for the name you like and don't worry so much about what suits. My girl was born looking much more like her Dad, with straight dark hair, but now has fair curly hair like me and a mix of our features.

amck5700 Fri 26-Oct-12 09:49:30

Would Ciar/Keir work? - that means swarthy and dark smile

Thats what we named my 2nd son as he was dark with olive skin - the fact that the little begger decided to go blond is another matter! He is darkening again now that he is 11 smile

squoosh Fri 26-Oct-12 11:40:37

Oh Raphael/Rafa is gorgeous!

Snazzyspookyandscary Fri 26-Oct-12 13:00:07

It is but I don't think of it as a 'strapping little fellow' name!

shinyblackgrape Fri 26-Oct-12 13:15:14

I do but that is because cousin's husband is tall and well built and dark. He is always known as rafa though.

I think Rafa and Sebastian are the best. I do like Seve but concerned it is the Spanish equivalent of Cuthbert. OP, let me know what your DH thinks of Seve out if interest if you ever get two seconds to come back!

Ps - what about Nico or Luca?

OwedToAutumn Fri 26-Oct-12 14:43:57

Dario and Bruno are "strapping" names. Particularly Bruno.

squoosh Fri 26-Oct-12 14:44:49

Bruno is very manly.

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Fri 26-Oct-12 14:46:56

Another vote for Raphael here.
Or what about Tomas or Tollo?

Congratulations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now