Talk

Advanced search

Isabelle?

(59 Posts)
Marcheline Wed 24-Oct-12 18:56:59

We are expecting DD2 - DD1 is called Aurelia, for a lovely, personal, romantic reason.

For this one, we both really like the name Isabelle. I don't love it like I love Aurelia (the name, not the DD!) but it seems to 'fit', IYKWIM.

I am worried that it is:
A) too popular?
B) not as special as DD1's name?
C) also the name of an ex GF of DH's. I am not bothered by this, but he is worried that it could be misconstrued by other people who knew them as a couple? I think she seemed like a fairly nice person and am unfussed, but it just seems unfortunate.

If you think we shouldn't go with Isabelle, any other suggestions? I love Juliette but a friend is calling her very long-awaited DD it and I couldn't use it.

Thanks!

CPtart Wed 24-Oct-12 19:15:00

Not another Isabelle....
How about

Louisa
Alicia
Elizabeth
Zara
Erica

iMum Wed 24-Oct-12 19:16:50

really necessary on a bike?

Shoshe Wed 24-Oct-12 19:24:44

What about something like Romilly or Verity.

Marcheline Wed 24-Oct-12 19:25:36

Oh really? Is it that bad?

Not particularly keen on any of those names, but I think I might have to resign myself to not loving any name as much as DD1's...

Gah.

RobinSparkles Wed 24-Oct-12 19:25:51

I have an Isabel and even I'm beginning to think, "not another!" grin

I know quite a few but it wasn't (or didn't seem) that common when I chose it 5 and a half years ago!

Do you like the name Gabrielle? I tend to think of this along the same lines of Aurelia, which I LOVE btw.
Jasmine?
Delilah?

Marcheline Wed 24-Oct-12 19:26:53

Romilly and Verity are lovely, but don't go with our surname at all - it begins with an R and ends in y.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, though

Marcheline Wed 24-Oct-12 19:29:01

I really like Delilah (and Tallulah) but DH doesn't like at all.

I also really liked Tabitha and DH didn't hate it, but could tell that he wasn't overly keen...

birdofthenorth Wed 24-Oct-12 19:31:10

Yes it is too popular, no it is not as special as Aurelia, which is unusual and lovely. Not enormously bothered by the ex thing, although I have avoided names for this reason in the past.

Shame about Juliet/te, I think that's beautiful.

Hmmm.... Claudia, Emmeline, Bronwyn, Josephine, just Julia?

birdofthenorth Wed 24-Oct-12 19:32:22

Oh Tabitha all the way. Bulldoze it through, it's fabulous!

RobinSparkles Wed 24-Oct-12 19:33:28

Fwiw, you might not love any name as much as your DD1's at the moment but once the new baby is here you might grow to love it just the same.

I didn't think I would like any names as much as my DD1's name but DD2 has a classic name which is heard in most generations. Often described on MN from being a "lovely classic" to "rather dull" wink
Now I love both names equally, although some people just have a favourite name.

Marcheline Wed 24-Oct-12 19:34:00

Claudia is gorgeous, but something about its meaning really puts me off.

Josephine feels a bit 'clunky' (I have a weird thing about the way words feel)

DH really likes Harriet and I think I could live with it, but something about it feels wrong?

Marcheline Wed 24-Oct-12 19:37:04

Thanks Robin, that makes me feel better.

I'm also feeling conscious of the fact that I dont want either girl to ever feel second best, so am probably putting too much emphasis on getting the name 'perfect' - pregnancy hormones!

Yika Wed 24-Oct-12 19:42:56

I love the name Isabelle and it's not popular for littlies in my neck of the woods so it doesn't feel overused.

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 24-Oct-12 21:02:52

Aurelia is so beautiful and unusual I'm not sure that Isabelle stands up next to it as well. It's by no means terrible though!
Maybe Gisele would work with Aurelia?

Gugglebum Wed 24-Oct-12 21:14:24

Harriet is great! I love the nn Hattie as well. As has been mentioned, you will likely grow to love whatever you choose because it will 'be' your daughter once she arrives.

FromHereToNextTuesday Thu 25-Oct-12 08:44:23

What about Marcheline as a name?? That would be gorgeous with Aurelia!

saffronwblue Thu 25-Oct-12 08:56:48

There are so many spelling variants Isobel, Isabel, Isabella etc. May drive you all crazy. What about Isolde? Or Elizabeth?

BitOutOfPractice Thu 25-Oct-12 08:59:20

Spell it differently to the x then. Isobel is the "British" spelling

ScooseIsLooseInTheHauntedHoose Thu 25-Oct-12 09:00:53

Well I love Isabelle I'm not biased oh no!

OhTinky Thu 25-Oct-12 09:03:19

Love it! And despite it's popularity I have never met another! Isabella is much more popular ime.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 25-Oct-12 09:51:51

Sorry, I meant to add more but the phone rang. Damn selfish clients! Don't they know I'm trying to MN hmm

Meant to add that my Isobel is now 12 and I still LOVE her name and all it's NNs - bella, belle, Izzy, Iza etc etc etc There has never been another Isobel (or Isabelle) in her school year. It is popular but not common iykwim

sparkle12mar08 Thu 25-Oct-12 09:55:25

Oh Isolde is lovely! But she'd be be forever saying "No not Isabelle, Isolde. Yes, with an e on the end"

MolotovBomb Thu 25-Oct-12 10:28:44

Isabelle is a lovely name, but it does not fit with Aurelia as her sister. To my ears, it's kind of like having Persephone and Jane; Raphael and John. The names don't fit, OP. Also, you had these doubts now and oncethr baby is born - and named Isabelle - you might, when saying her name, always think silenty to yourself 'it's not as nice a Aurelia ...'

Without knowing your personal reasons for choosing Aurelia and wanting Isabelle (but not really ramrod Isabelle) there's only so much I can suggest. So, I'll suggest names that I think sound like they fit. U hope it's useful smile

Aurelia and Seraphina
Aurelianamd Cecelia
Aurelia and Indira
Aurelia and Celeste
Aurelia and Estella
Aurelia and Sabine
Aurelia and Alethea
Aurelia and Mirabelle
Aurelia and Cordelia
Aurelia and Esmee (Esmee with an accent over the first 'e')
Aurelia as Matilda
Aurelia and Vivienne

I hope that helps at least somewhat x

MolotovBomb Thu 25-Oct-12 10:31:54

HORRENDOUS TYPE-O's! Yak. Apologies blush 'not really wanting Isabelle' how the fudge did my iPhone autocorrect to ramrod?? And 'I hope that you find it useful'

Going to haveto start proof-reading these posts of mine ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now