Talk

Advanced search

Baby being induced Monday- please help us finalise names

(6 Posts)
CornishKate Wed 24-Oct-12 09:12:12

Hi- I would really appreciate some help with naming our baby. If it is a girl we are pretty set on Isla Rose (second choice Amelie Rose), but boys names are proving more difficult. The middle name will be Stanley and our surname is Bruce.

Initially my DH loved Rowan and I was set on Charlie. More recently we also have Jago (Cornish for James), Joshua, Reuben (which we like, but not sure it goes with Bruce), Oscar, Max (but not sure about 1 syllable names with Bruce). Please let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas to add to the expanding list!

aufaniae Wed 24-Oct-12 09:16:50

I think Rowan is a great name.

The other ones which sound best with the other names IMO are Joshua and Oscar.

I like Jago too but not sure it goes as well. HTH.

aufaniae Wed 24-Oct-12 09:17:11

Good luck for Monday btw! smile

Gwennan Wed 24-Oct-12 09:35:13

First, they're all great names but I'm not sure I like most of them with your surname.

I think I would cross Reuben and Max off your list, as they sound awkward with your surname. Oscar Bruce is OK but I find the close 'r' sounds make it sound a bit clunky. I have the same problem with Rowan; Rowan Bruce makes me feel a bit lispy. Jago Bruce sounds too abrupt.

I think Charlie Bruce works quite well, as does Joshua Bruce which is my favourite. I think with such a short surname, you need a first name that is ideally three syllables (e.g. Fiona Bruce - can't think of a masculine real-life example) or has quite long vowel sounds in it like Charlie and Stanley.

You've got great taste but it's a tricky surname to work with!

CornishKate Wed 24-Oct-12 15:39:57

Thank you both for your great replies. I'm sure the more I think about it the more unsure I become!

aufaniae Wed 24-Oct-12 17:31:09

FWIW I was totally unsure going into labour. I told DP I needed a day off from thinking about names, and wouldn't be making any decisions the same day I had given birth! So DS was nameless for a day.

The next day, it was obvious which name was his smile

Perhaps you'll know once you meet him? (Assuming it's a boy of course!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now