Talk

Advanced search

Help me with my shortlist for girls please

(7 Posts)
Ataleoftwopoppies Tue 23-Oct-12 10:13:29

We have a boys name - Leo.

But stuck for girls and 8 weeks left to go.

Thoughts please on our shortlist:

Anna (too boring?)
Sophie (too popular?)
Clemency (too posh?)
Catherine (too Kate Middleton?)

imustbepatient Tue 23-Oct-12 10:25:15

Anna is lovely but I prefer eg annabelle or Annaliese so it has a few more options and is a little different but still allows Anna as a nn.

Sophie is gorgeous although popular acc to the names stats. Mind you, I only know a couple of young children named Sophie / Sophia so it might depend on the area where you live. If you don't know many near you then it would be a great choice.

Not fond of clemency but I know lots of people would disagree with me!

Catherine is beautiful and such a classic I don't think it can really be overused and it wouldn't date. There are so many nn possibilities that even if there are a few in the same class they can all have a different nn without having to resort to 'Catherine X'.

Lovely shortlist!

Rhubarbgarden Tue 23-Oct-12 10:35:00

Anna is beautiful.

amck5700 Tue 23-Oct-12 10:51:11

With the exception of Clemency, they are all nice names.

Other suggestions would be

Annalisa to jazz Anna up a bit and gives you the choice to still use Anna (or Lisa!)
Caroline - similar to Catherine but not as popular
Lucy/Lucille
Sophia

SWStressed Tue 23-Oct-12 10:52:47

A vote for Clemency, we have one at our school and she is the most gorgeous thing and the name is just timeless.

Gwennan Tue 23-Oct-12 11:01:56

I love all of your choices!

It just depends on what sort of name you want - timeless, classic, popular, uncommon, etc. Decide that and go from there.

IfIWereALion Tue 23-Oct-12 12:16:28

Anna is a beautiful name, love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now