Talk

Advanced search

Boy name opinions please

(21 Posts)
Diamond7 Mon 22-Oct-12 07:54:10

What do you think of the name Otis Arthur?

Arthur is a family name so would like to use it as a middle name but does it sound ok with Otis?

Thanks

Jemma1111 Mon 22-Oct-12 08:21:26

Sorry but I don't like the two together , maybe if you used Arthur as a third name instead and try and find a second name which connects with both this would sound better

musicalendorphins Mon 22-Oct-12 08:49:58

I was going to agree, add a name between them. Then I googled Otis Arthur for middle name ideas, and was surprised to see a children cartoon character named Otis Arthur.
Based on this, I would not use the name Otis. He may be teased.
arthur.wikia.com/wiki/Otis
But if you do, maybe toss in a name like James, or David?

Cezella Mon 22-Oct-12 15:37:23

I think Otis Arthur sounds fine together- although not a massive fan of either name I do think they flow well.

Also- the cartoon character is not called Otis Arthur- the program is called Arthur and there is a (very minor) character called Otis but he is not called Otis Arthur- Arthur is a separate (and the main) character. I say this is as a committed fan of the program Arthur- so he won't be teased on these grounds!

Diamond7 Mon 22-Oct-12 17:41:30

Thanks ladies. Our other short listed name is Albert Arthur.

I do like the name Otis though.

Also I'd say the majority of people I know, excluding close friends, I Wouldnt have a clue what their middle names are. I suppose it's nicer to have a middle name with meaning than a middle name that sounds 'right'??

So difficult!

Ihatepeas Mon 22-Oct-12 23:53:06

Otis Arthur is fabulous!! Love Albert too but not so sure about Albert Arthur.. You have great taste!

musicalendorphins Tue 23-Oct-12 00:27:04

Cezella thanks for the correction and Diamond7, sorry for my mistake.
I would pick a name that has a meaning for you. My sons have my brothers names as middle names, and I am a fan of keeping a family name going in the family, whether it be a second or third name.

musicalendorphins Tue 23-Oct-12 00:28:31

I re-read my own link, however did I come to that conclusion it was one name? blush

Diamond7 Tue 23-Oct-12 07:31:13

Thanks Ihatepeas!! :-)

No worries musical. It's nice you thought to google it.

I definitely thinking having a meaning is the way to go.

emmyloo2 Tue 23-Oct-12 07:47:34

I like Otis, Arthur and Albert but prefer Arthur and Albert over Otis.

That said I think Otis Arthur or Albert Arthur all sound good together.

Good taste!

gymboywalton Tue 23-Oct-12 07:49:58

i just can't imagine looking at a beautiful baby boy and thinking 'we'll call him albert' or 'otis'

they are just not pleasant sounding names

have you any other ideas?

Cezella Tue 23-Oct-12 12:23:15

No worries musicalendorphins I'm just a little bit excited that someone brought the programme to my attention again- it's the best cartoon ever, I'm sure you'd recognise the theme tune:

"And I said hey, what a wonderful kind of day, if we can learn to work and play and get along with eachotheeerr"

Anyways haha, sorry for hijacking the thread- I think Otis Arthur flows brilliantly now I've said it aloud a bit more OP x

Diamond7 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:10:21

Thanks guys.

Gymboy - We've been through a few but we actually like the sound of Albert and Otis.

Happy to hear more suggestions through. :-)

cupcake19992110436247 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:33:32

It sounds nice but when i think about it more, they arnt really goid together xx

Diamond7 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:17:34

What do you mean cupcake?

You mean the kind of names don't go together rather than the sound doesn't go?

Lyftiduft Tue 23-Oct-12 20:04:00

I'm afraid I think aardvark when I hear the name Otis...

I like Albert. He could be Al, Bert, Bertie, Albie depending on age and preference.

Have you tried http://www.nymbler.com/ for more ideas too?

BananaBubbles Tue 23-Oct-12 20:40:13

Otis is great.Unusual but not too weird,and would work well at any age.

TheHandbagOfGlory Tue 23-Oct-12 20:50:37

My DS has the middle name Otto, I love it. It's a bit like Otis, kind of!

cece Tue 23-Oct-12 21:40:47

Our neighbour's dog is called Otis. It's grown on me. Never really heard of it prior to that.

Diamond7 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:56:05

Thanks Lyftiduft - I'll check that out.

Thehandbag - I love the name Otto but have Ottilie picked out for a girl (nn - Ottie). I think we could get away with Ottie and Otis but not Ottie and Otto. This is presuming I one day have a DS and DD.

Diamond7 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:57:17

Maybe we can't have Ottie and Otis?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now