Talk

Advanced search

Kitty...

(19 Posts)
ivanapoo Sun 21-Oct-12 19:44:47

I like this name and have since I went to school with a Kitty.

So I thought I'd ask the MN jury...

She was never called anything else, but is it typically short for anything?

Is it v popular (the one I was at school with 20ish years ago is the only one I know of but see it on lists here sometimes)?

And what do you think of it in general?

Really struggling for gorls' names...

Thanks.

Was going to be my dc3's name but he was a boy. The bugger.

TheSandstoneCat Sun 21-Oct-12 19:50:07

That was my girl name but I got a DS instead. Still love it!

Naghoul Sun 21-Oct-12 19:50:11

short for Katherine AFAIK.

I like it. We couldn't have it for family reasons but I would have considered it smile

TheSandstoneCat Sun 21-Oct-12 19:51:04

Oops - usually short form of Catherine.

AlexanderS Sun 21-Oct-12 19:52:08

It was #199 in the 2011 girls baby name chart in the UK, so not overly popular. It is short for Catherine/Katherine and its derivatives - Katie, Caitlin etc.

I personally like it a lot. I would be inclined to have a "proper" name, like Catherine, on the birth certificate and use it as a nickname, but you could get away with using it as a given name in this age of what people on MN like to call cutesy names - Daisy, Poppy, Ellie, Molly, Evie etc.

AlexanderS Sun 21-Oct-12 19:54:47

Catherine itself is even more unusual - #233 in 2011 (sorry, have just realised this chart is for England and Wales, not the whole of the UK).

LonelyCloud Sun 21-Oct-12 19:57:41

Yes, short for Katherine / Catherine.

I like Kitty, but I'd use Katherine on the birth certificate, and use Kitty as a nickname. Kitty's a cute name, but a bit harder to take seriously in an adult IYSWIM.

CrapBag Sun 21-Oct-12 19:58:53

Completely up to you if its a name you love.

Personally I think it is awful but each to their own. Sounds a bit twee to me.

Baffledandbewildered Sun 21-Oct-12 20:17:16

Perfect name use it my favorite name. Just lovely smile

eBook Sun 21-Oct-12 20:44:36

I don't like it, sorry. A rather twee cat's nickname, or a cartoon character.

Short for Katherine, which is a nice classic name and gives alternative nickname options too.

VBisme Sun 21-Oct-12 21:15:28

Yes, short for Katherine, which is also a lovely name.

lljkk Sun 21-Oct-12 21:19:24

Just about tolerable as NN for Kathryn. Horrid on its own.

qumquat Sun 21-Oct-12 22:25:49

It is short for Katherine. My absolute least favourite name, whereas Katherine is gorgeous!

Tanktop Sun 21-Oct-12 22:35:09

It is my DD1 name so I love it. Not short for anything just simply Kitty. She suits it to a T. She is also the only one in her school, brownies etc so not that popular up to now.

BonzoDooDah Sun 21-Oct-12 22:41:41

I really, really wanted to call my second child Katrina and shorten it to Kitty ... bloody boy arrived. <<hopes dashed>>

WinkyWinkola Sun 21-Oct-12 22:44:01

Love it. It's sassy and lively. No need for it to be a nn.

AnathemaDevice Mon 22-Oct-12 18:46:37

I think it's a great name- my DD is a Kitty, but we put Kathleen on her birth certificate, in case she wants something a little more grown up in the future.

She's 20 months old, and I'm yet to meet another one in real life.

rocketupbum Mon 22-Oct-12 19:43:19

I am a Catherine on birth certificate and called kitty by all. To be honest having the full name is a right pain, I have never used it in a work/professional setting and always have to actively remember on official documents. I really don't think that people grow up and suddenly decide that you want a more serious name and then persuade everyone you know to call you that! I like kitty, people comment on it and I think people do take me fairly seriously, when required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now