Talk

Advanced search

Is there a story behind your name or your DC's name?

(33 Posts)
redrubyshoes Sun 21-Oct-12 12:10:51

My great aunt was called June Rouen and it was a code sent from WW1 in France by her father to let his pregnant wife know where he was and when. He coded it to make it sound like the name he wanted his child called if it was a DD.

His wife liked the name and June Rouen it was. He survived the war as well.

redrubyshoes Sun 21-Oct-12 15:16:39

No one else then?

Annunziata Sun 21-Oct-12 19:05:33

This is my birth certificate name because I was born on the feast of the Annunciation (vvvvv Catholic family) and because my mother and father used to go to the church of Our Lady of the Annunciation.

That's fascinating about your great aunt.

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Sun 21-Oct-12 19:21:03

My saw a little girl with blonde hair and blue eyes and she said she was a gorgeous little girl so asked the mother what she was called. It was Kelly so that is what I was called.

My sons first name was just because I liked it. His middles names are his dads name and a friend of mine who does when I was 15

Bunbaker Sun 21-Oct-12 19:31:13

My mum had a name that she shared with several other little girls in her class at primary school. She vowed to give my sister and me names that weern't so popular and names that couldn't be shortened. I have met only one other person in RL with my name so far and I'm 53.

As a result of always having to explain my name I named DD after my favourite auntie who had a name that was easy to spell and pronounce and wasn't very popular. Fast forward a few years and her name is in the top 20. Oh well.

raindroprhyme Sun 21-Oct-12 19:31:57

we had a name all picked out for DS2 and when he arrived it just didn't suit so got oualeb we liked it so thats his name.

3 weeks later we find out that DS2 had cystic fibrosis, then we get told by family reverend that we named him well.
Beacuse Caleb was one of a bunch of spies sent to spy on jericho he and his friend were the only ones to return and tell the truth. As a reward God said they would out live their generation.

So we hope our Caleb lives up to his namesake.

raindroprhyme Sun 21-Oct-12 19:33:48

'we had a name all picked out for DS2 and when he arrived it just didn't suit so out came the bible that was in the locker Hubby found Caleb and liked it so that was his name'

HappyTurquoise Sun 21-Oct-12 19:41:34

I have the female brewing of my uncle's name. He died in WW2.
DC'S middle names are from female relatives in both mine and my husband's families.

One of my ancestors gave his children middle names of last names of his wife's family, so they would carry a connection to her family in family records.

HappyTurquoise Sun 21-Oct-12 19:42:41

Version, not brewing!

LondonGhostInChainWrackedBoots Sun 21-Oct-12 19:44:51

My middle name is after both my grandmothers so it shut my Granny (Mum's MIL) up whining for 20 seconds, my first name is my mums favorite name, and was also the pet name that my aunt, her older sister, was called at home, also the pet name of my Nana's mother, and her own middle name so everyone was made happy. But mainly cos its my mum's favourite name!

My brother is named for my Dad, who was named for his Aunt who took the name when she went to a convent, my next DB was named as it it both an Irish and Polish name so again shut Granny up for 20 seconds, and my youngest DB's name means red lion, cos he was born with a shock of red hair and screaming.

Pochemuchka Sun 21-Oct-12 19:48:59

Love the world war related ones smile

My DS's name comes from the fact that he was born with a medical condition that was difficult to come to terms with but he is conquering.
The name he has been given is from a mythical person who overcame difficulties at birth to become the most revered, respected and loved person from his culture. Having success at everything he did, despite the odds being against him at the start of his life.

I hope he will understand and love it when I tell him when he's older. He really is my special little boy.

peachypips Sun 21-Oct-12 19:50:49

We tried for ages to get pregnant. We really prayed and eventually got preg. Our DS's name means 'God has remembered'.

Pochemuchka Sun 21-Oct-12 19:52:00

That's lovely peachypips. smile

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Oct-12 20:05:01

Me - Dad was big enthusiast and collector of the works of Lewis Carroll. Had two boys before he got his own Alice. Middle name 1 - GM's name. Middle name 2 - place (abroad) where dad lived.

DS - name I have always liked; fil was researching his family tree when I was pg and found 8 generations in a row up to his father with this name; Middle name 1 - After uncle who was dying when I was pg (and made a full recovery); middle name 2- after fil, my idea rather than DH's as my PIL have always been lovely to me.

DD- first name is an anagram of Nil's(also a proper name!), middle name 1 is my first name in reference to my dad (see reason for my name), middle name 2 place in Derbyshire where we used to live (also a proper name).

frogchops Sun 21-Oct-12 20:07:37

I was named after my great grandad, who died whilst my mum was expecting. All that changed was the spelling (I'm an IE rather than a Y) but my great nan, his wife, has always sent cards (for 30 years) with his name spelling on it rather than mine.. Bless her.

RatHammock Mon 22-Oct-12 00:14:36

My parents were very particular about giving names that would not associate one with a particular era/class/upbringing, etc. Hence my name being Mary Caroline. My DD is India Juliet Elizabeth. India for Gone With the Wind, my favourite novel, Juliet as a nod to Shakespeare and Elizabeth for the wonderful Miss Bennet.

StellaNova Mon 22-Oct-12 11:08:29

I was going to be Danielle, but my parents called the bump Charlie and it stuck.

If I had followed that path (keeping the "bump" name) my children would be called Little Hackney and Storm. Nice.

5madthings Mon 22-Oct-12 11:28:20

my ds3 was going to be Arlo but 2 wks before he was born another mum i knew had a boy and called him Arlo! i hadnt even mentioned it as a name. anyway we were then stuck but all the way through my preg ds2 had insisted i wasnt having a baby, i was having a rabbit! so when ds3 was born i looked at him and decided he looked like a Dylan and the rabbit from magic roundabout is dillan, so i figured it meant ds2 had his rabbit grin

1944girl Mon 22-Oct-12 20:26:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mintyy Mon 22-Oct-12 20:28:59

I am named after a well-known very glamorous and beautiful woman who my dad fancied at the time (Jackie Kennedy). As were many, many other girls born in the early 60s.

austenozzy Mon 22-Oct-12 20:42:53

We couldn't really arrive at a name that began with A, but DD was born in April and it was a lovely spring that year, so we went with April. Had a few looks when calling her name in the play park the last few weeks. :-(

slightlytipsy Mon 22-Oct-12 22:44:39

DTS1 is named after a doctor who found me when I was four after being dragged out to sea. He was the first English person I'd met (I'm from Greece, specifically Corfu) and I love the name anyway, but it's my way of saying thankyou. He met my twins once, but unfortunately died of cancer three months later.

DTS2 was named after DH's grand-uncle, who died in a Jewish ghetto in Poland, when his grandfather was eight. The name is an English name, but sounds similar to his name which is Hebrew and means 'loves everybody'.

I'm named after my mum's childhood pet- a snail!

blueblizz Tue 23-Oct-12 14:43:37

My dd is named after my granny. My daughter was born away from home but in the same hospital that my granny died in!! My way of saying, I remember and love you.

MrsBungleBear Tue 23-Oct-12 14:47:49

My DD is named after her granny (my DM) who died whilst I was pregnant and also the island where we got engaged and love to spend time.

LadyInPinkingShears Tue 23-Oct-12 14:53:27

Our DD has a name that means 'new life' as we lost her sister the year before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now