Talk

Advanced search

Tapina

(11 Posts)
NoTwinkies Sun 21-Oct-12 08:57:48

I had a dream that we had another daughter and because we hadn't decided on a proper name we went with the first thing that came to mind.. Tapina!? Where on earth did that come from? I don't think it'll be going on the short-list (not even pregnant BTW) but it made me wonder has anyone used, considered using or know anyone who has made up the name for their baby?
I like unique names but I'm not sure how it is viewed by others

Gwennan Sun 21-Oct-12 09:10:25

Most 'made-up' names just look like a string of random letters smooshed together to me.

I tend to like names because of their history: their meanings, namesakes, historical/fictional/familial usage, and so on. A made-up name is just never ever going to offer that depth to me.

I tend to prefer names outside the top 50 or so, as my own given name is extremely popular among my age group. That said, having a popular name has done me no harm and I am fond of it so it's not a dealbreaker by any means.

For what it's worth, Tapina sounds like a brand of water filters to me.

BunnyLeBOOwski Sun 21-Oct-12 09:19:53

Makes me think of Tapenade.

As much as I love the stuff, not sure I'd want my child's name to evoke salty, fishy, garlicky, olivey paste.

Also, no no to made up names. 99% sound ridiculous.

MolotovBomb Sun 21-Oct-12 09:47:44

Tapioca.

NoTwinkies Sun 21-Oct-12 10:06:30

Haha that's what I thought - Awful. Makes me think that if/when we have another we should get some solid favourite names in place before baby arrives. I imagine there have been some great gas and air/Dad's suffering from shock induced baby name blunders in the past.
I too like a bit of history and meaning to names. I do know a couple who prefer to make up potential names. Some sound cute but may be better as pet names rather than official names.

cuillereasoupe Sun 21-Oct-12 15:20:14

Tapina would mean "was a prostitute" in French. I'd avoid it...

seeker Sun 21-Oct-12 15:22:21

Tapier cam to mind.

squoosh Sun 21-Oct-12 15:22:23

Sounds like something you'd dip your crudité in.

Although, 'dip your crudité' sounds like a double entendre now I've read cuiller's translation. wink

javotte Sun 21-Oct-12 17:17:39

What cuillerasoupe said.

CrapBag Sun 21-Oct-12 20:08:36

I know someone who dreamed of a name and used it for her DD. I have no idea if its a made up name but I have't heard of another one.

CrapBag Sun 21-Oct-12 20:09:25

Just looked it up, yes it is a name. I actually thought it was something she made up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now