Talk

Advanced search

Olena

(13 Posts)
Ghoulelocks Sat 20-Oct-12 21:07:56

Is a form of Helena, we're Eastern European. How is it for a child born and raised in the UK? Easy to say? Liked?

(It's Oh-len-ah)

MoonlightandWerewolves Sat 20-Oct-12 21:17:05

Well, it's not one I'm familiar with, but it is pretty.
Can't see the pronunciation causing too much difficulty. Only thing though, much the same way that Helena can be pronounced either 'He-leh-na' and 'He-lee-na' you may find that Olena gets the same treatment on occasion.

Congratulations too by the way!

rachel234 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:34:28

I like it - I'd say Oh-le-na.

MolotovBomb Sat 20-Oct-12 21:47:09

Lovely name choice smile

I'd say 'oh-lay-na' but would happily be corrected!

shoobidoo Sat 20-Oct-12 21:51:12

Lovely name that isn't widely used already - great choice. I'd say Oh-leh-na.

Snowflakepie Sat 20-Oct-12 22:44:47

I think it's lovely, wouldn't say it properly when it was written but would be happy to learn, and most people you will speak to rather than see it written anyway, especially when they're small. Great name x

SomersetONeil Sat 20-Oct-12 22:56:06

Beautiful name - I'd pronounce it O-lay-na.

SomersetONeil Sat 20-Oct-12 22:56:43

That is, until someone told me otherwise, of course!

Ghoulelocks Sun 21-Oct-12 08:28:26

Thanks, O-lay-na is nice enough too if it stuck at school. I just didn't want her name to really different or really identify her to one place.

juneau Sun 21-Oct-12 08:30:46

It sounds like a brand of cooking oil to me. Sorry! If you're living here, I'd go with Helena.

Gwennan Sun 21-Oct-12 08:55:13

Helena can be pronounced:
he-le-na
he-lay-na (I think influenced by the name Elena)
he-lee-na

Olena is likely to be pronounced, or mispronounced, similarly.

Olena seems easy to spell and pronounce once you are told the preferred way of saying it!

Gwennan Sun 21-Oct-12 08:56:34

I just didn't want her name to really different or really identify her to one place .
I'm not sure what you mean by this, OP. I would assume an Olena was from Eastern Europe/Russia or had parents who were from those places. I don't think that's a bad thing at all but your comment sounds like you want a name that's used 'everywhere'. Olena's not one of those.

eBook Sun 21-Oct-12 11:15:52

Agree with Gwennan. I've never heard of Olena before and it does immediately sound Eastern European.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now