Talk

Advanced search

James

(46 Posts)
flopsy1974 Sat 20-Oct-12 19:42:27

Just mulling over this one. I know it is very popular but seems to be used as a middle name more than a first name near me. Is it a true timeless classic or a bit boring.
I usually take the view that you can't go wrong with king's names, but would like to gauge others opinions :-)

MolotovBomb Sat 20-Oct-12 19:54:38

James is THE most consistently popular boys name on record (read this in a Penguin baby names book). It is in no way boring, IMO. Rather, an absolute classic boy's name.

My Grandad was James (born 1921) and I have a total soft-spot for the name for that reason, too. Plus, an array of great NNs: Jamie, Jay, Jim, Jimmy.

I also like Jaimie for a girl, but that's for another thread!!

eBook Sat 20-Oct-12 20:37:10

Great classic name. I don't know any baby Jameses. Always seems to come up on here as a middle name but not a first.

ornellaia Sat 20-Oct-12 20:46:52

I think it's lovely, my DS is called James - we only know one other who's a similar age (lives in a different city) and they both use different James-related nicknames.

Bicnod Sat 20-Oct-12 20:49:35

My youngest son is James. It's a strong and timeless name IMO. Not at all boring and lots of nickname possibilities.

rachel234 Sat 20-Oct-12 21:32:37

A little dull imo but perfectly fine otherwise.

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sat 20-Oct-12 21:34:00

I like it. My dd just started reception and out of 30 there is 3 James..

shoobidoo Sat 20-Oct-12 23:05:07

A little boring, sorry.

LonelyCloud Sat 20-Oct-12 23:11:09

Timeless classic.

I know a number of Jameses, ranging in age from 4 months to 85 years. In terms of age, they're fairly evenly spread across that age range as well.

Plus it's got lots of nicknames.

Pancakeflipper Sat 20-Oct-12 23:13:16

I like it. And you get bored with that name and you call him Jim.

Clary Sun 21-Oct-12 01:16:13

It's a good name but very very popular.

My youngest DC is 9 so I don't know masses of toddlers. but I know at least 12 aged betwen 13 and 6. I teach quite a few more as well (secondary).

I know a baby James too - I think its popularity is not on the wane. Not my choice but perfectly good name. Likely there will be others in his class tho if that bothers you - like Matt, Oliver, Josh.

sashh Sun 21-Oct-12 07:09:46

I know / have known a few, all of them were /are really good people.

My friends and I have a phrase "everyone should have a James"

funkystars123 Sun 21-Oct-12 07:23:40

My ds is called James- only one in his year (6yrs old). I love it- he has lot's of nick names... Jim, Jamie, J J, Jimmy and loads more!!

So not boring in my opinion, classic, timeless and cool!

gymboywalton Sun 21-Oct-12 07:28:16

james is a lovely lovely name

WitchesTit Sun 21-Oct-12 07:30:59

It's one of those names where the more you say it, the nicer it sounds.

I love Jamie and Jim for a little boy. I know a (grown up) girl named James and it suits her really well too.

exoticfruits Sun 21-Oct-12 07:31:43

A great classic name- lovely.

weblette Sun 21-Oct-12 07:34:35

Ds3 is the only James in his class, it's a family name for us

echidnakid Sun 21-Oct-12 07:39:22

I know LOTS of children named James but I'm not averse to popular names if they are classic/traditional.

baskingseals Sun 21-Oct-12 09:53:59

i really like James. I only know one little one, but i do know quite a few grown-up ones.

winkle2 Sun 21-Oct-12 12:55:20

Lovely name

StellaNova Mon 22-Oct-12 11:04:04

I have a five year old James, we don't come across loads of others but there is another James in his class with the same middle name as well. So you might want to avoid Michael as a middle name smile

Then again my middle name seems to be the only middle name that people with my first name ever have, and it has never bothered me.

We chose the name because it is classic, has nice nns (Jamie, Jim) and I have only ever known nice Jameses!

DizzyPurple Mon 22-Oct-12 11:08:57

My dh is James. I really like it and would consider it if we had a ds. It is popular but i dont know any children called James oddly enough. Go for it. .

MerylStrop Mon 22-Oct-12 11:11:00

It's a brilliant name

so long as it's not for a girl

That is just trying too hard

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 22-Oct-12 11:11:18

If I had a DS he would be James.

SucksFake Mon 22-Oct-12 11:15:36

Love it.

My youngest DS is James.

Timeless classic, definitely. All my DC have names in a similar vein, and I am very happy with the names we have chosen and I don't give a toss if anyone else thinks they're boring names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now