Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose my baptism name please

(14 Posts)
3ofeach Fri 19-Oct-12 20:49:52

I am getting baptised and confirmed in a few weeks and have the option of taking a saints name at the same time. I am quite excited about this as obviously did not get to choose my 2 names I have so far and not over keen on them so its nice to have a bit of input. I do realise I probably will not use it everyday or even legally but it will be a nice way to mark something important to me.
My first name is Alexandra, current middle name also long. I am a midwife so wanted a link to this is possible. Unfortunately the patron sint of Midwives is St Raymond so thats outsmile
Thoughts so far are
Elizabeth - too long / too many syllables?
Catherine ( prefer Katherine but C spelling is used for St Catherine) Also minor patron saint of Midwives
Edith - have always loved this name
Mary - very linked to women and children

I do have a front runner but I thought it would be interesting to hear the opinions of the great MN jury

ellesabe Fri 19-Oct-12 20:55:30

Mary gets my vote and I thought of it before I even read your list smile

TheWoollybacksWife Fri 19-Oct-12 21:01:45

All those names are lovely, particularly Edith.

How about Geraldine - from St Gerard Majella, patron saint of pregnant women?

amck5700 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:20:37

What about Salome? wasn't she a midwife? - or see who's "day" marks a significant day for you e.g your baptism day etc.

LonelyCloud Fri 19-Oct-12 22:53:33

Wasn't Salome the one who convinced her father to chop off the head of John the Baptist?

amck5700 Fri 19-Oct-12 23:52:05

There were two smile

LonelyCloud Sat 20-Oct-12 18:37:53

Okay then. I'd only heard of the one I mentioned.

amck5700 Sat 20-Oct-12 18:40:24

...tbh I hadn't heard of any of them grin

I am not religious and not a catholic. I just googled saint and midwife - it did say not to confus ethe saint with the daughter of pontias pilot though.

MikeLitorisBites Sat 20-Oct-12 18:42:30

My cousin chose Bernadette.

I like Edith from your list.

Arithmeticulous Sat 20-Oct-12 19:23:41

Is Conceptua an option?

eBook Sat 20-Oct-12 20:47:33

Edith or Catherine both lovely.

Juliana
Phoebe
Emiliana
Theodora
Delphina
Juliette
Hermione
Apollonia
Georgia
Florentina
Colette
Margeurite
Cecilia
Laura
Lucy

BlueChampagne Sat 20-Oct-12 23:46:55

Raymonda? Rae?

sashh Sun 21-Oct-12 07:33:37

Unfortunately the patron sint of Midwives is St Raymond so thats out

Why? You can take a man's name, my mum did, she was baptised, confirmed and made her first communion all on the same day - but that was RC, you didn't say which church.

Any way

St. Anne, patron saint of pregnancy and mothers
St. Catherine of Sweden, patron saint of protection against abortion and miscarriage
St. Gerard Majella, patron saint of childbirth, motherhood, children and mothers (unborn children and expecting mothers in particular)
St. Margaret the Virgin, patron saint of childbirth and pregnant women

There is aslo Jude - for hospital workers (not just lost causes)

Alexius - OK that's nurses, but related

St Bridgit of Kildare- babies and midwives (the ancient deity Brigid was linked to childbirth - so maybe not)

St Elmo - for chilbirth

mathanxiety Mon 22-Oct-12 03:35:43

Majella was popular in Ireland when I was young. Also Gerarda.

I think St Joseph is a patron of unborn children and pregnant women -- maybe Josephine or Josefa (pr Joe-SEE-fa)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now