Talk

Advanced search

Boy's name - work in French and English

(88 Posts)
LeBFG Fri 19-Oct-12 17:45:50

My mum can't pronounce anything vaguely French but we live in France. So, we're looking for boys names that work in both languages and are pronounced vaguely the same for ease of switching.

Problem is, last time round, we struggled like hell and finally settled on Leon just after DS's birth - very last minute. Found out a few weeks ago we're expecting another boy. A girl's name would be soooo much easier hmm....

Any help appreciated.

Selky Fri 19-Oct-12 17:47:47

David
Sebastian
Paul
Charles
Claude
Michael

ISingSoprano Fri 19-Oct-12 17:49:14

Henry - Henri?

KennethParcell Fri 19-Oct-12 17:52:27

Gregoir (Greg/or)

My french friend wanted to call her son Martin. MarTANN, but still, Martin! grin Don't do that!

LeBFG Fri 19-Oct-12 19:26:39

Names like Charles exist in both languages but are pronounced quite differently. So we wanted to avoid those sorts of names. I know of a few French Charlies though and this would work well...though we don't go on it a whole bunch. We like Louis too but my nephew is called this.

javotte Fri 19-Oct-12 19:28:52

I am half-French, half-English. If DD2 had been a boy, she would have been Adam.

LeBFG Fri 19-Oct-12 19:35:53

I love Adam and although the name is more or less the same in French I couldn't quite bring myself around to liking the French nasal pronouciation. To improve that we could name him Adame, but apparently that sounds arab?

If I lived in the UK I wouldn't hesitate calling DS2 Jake, but the straw poll of French I've tried this on have been bewildered with the pronuciation and spelling hmm. Not easy!

rezzle Fri 19-Oct-12 19:40:00

Corentin? You could use the nickname Cory if there are pronunciation issues

ContinentalKat Fri 19-Oct-12 19:41:29

Friends of ours have 2 ds and their names had to work in French, English, Dutch and Polish (very complicated and scattered family life!). They decided to name them Nick and Tim.

NapOfTheDamned Fri 19-Oct-12 19:42:46

Luc/Luke?

MrsApplepants Fri 19-Oct-12 19:43:23

Michel?

LeBFG Fri 19-Oct-12 19:44:09

I like the idea rezzle thanks. Spot on. DH has just vetoed it though....

LeBFG Fri 19-Oct-12 19:46:55

We're quite fussy too which is why this is a whole nightmare. DH doesn't like Luc, but again, the idea is right.

ContinentalKat - so pleased I don't have that to contend with. I think, ultimately, we'll just go with what we like and be brave.

Blu Fri 19-Oct-12 20:03:05

I'm not sure I would be basing the choice of your child's name, which he will have for life, around your mother's inability to pronounce French. Give him a name you love and if she can't say it she can develop her own pet name or nickname to call him.

Edouard.

Waswondering Fri 19-Oct-12 20:04:53

Philip/Phillipe?

MarianForrester Fri 19-Oct-12 20:05:44

Louis?

invicta Fri 19-Oct-12 20:08:28

Andre
Marc
Henri
Thierry
Sebastien
Michel

sommewhereelse Fri 19-Oct-12 20:11:03

Definitely not Nick. It sounds rude when the French pronounce it!

TheSandstoneCat Fri 19-Oct-12 20:11:24

In my son's class (in Brussels) there is an Alex, Elliot, Mark, Jack and Ben.......

sommewhereelse Fri 19-Oct-12 20:12:00

Samuel
Tom

HappyTurquoise Fri 19-Oct-12 20:15:22

Ralph. Sounds like someone throwing up whoever says it. (or maybe that's just me...the only Ralph I ever met was an american, and I threw up on his shoes.)

Bernard
Jacques/Jack
Charles
Frederic
Mohammed
Ahmad
Brian
Christian
Eric (accent on the e)
Bruno
Marc
Philip?
Donald
Maurice
George(s)
Louis
Xavier
Chris
Sebastian (accent on e)
Damian

There's loads of almosts, but few which would be exactly the same.

I'd go for Etienne

culturemulcher Fri 19-Oct-12 20:18:07

My DS was born in France. We went for Benjamin / Ben - same in both languages, just different inflection for the longer version.

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 19-Oct-12 20:20:11

Pascal? It's not difficult in English...

Bonsoir Fri 19-Oct-12 20:21:16

Benjamin
Dominic
David
Bruno
Marc
Simon
Max
Victor
Thomas

gastrognome Fri 19-Oct-12 20:25:31

Gregory? Have a couple of French friends/colleagues with that name. I love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now