Talk

Advanced search

Lawrence?

(17 Posts)
moogstera1 Thu 18-Oct-12 19:25:08

What do you think?
DH is vetoing Francis ( which I think is lovely) and also hates Vincent.
In fact, the shortlist is
lawrence
george ( too common?)
gabriel ( nn of gayboy I keep thinking)
Albert

MoonHare Thu 18-Oct-12 19:27:15

Yes yes to Lawrence.

Such a great name, George is very popular and a little dull, Gabriel is nice but seems quite 'trendy'. Quite like Albert but it's 'old man chic' whereas Lawrence stands alone, much more timeless.

ArterialSpurtMonkey Thu 18-Oct-12 19:31:56

I prefer it spelt Laurence. I love it. I suggested it when I was pg with dd, and dh liked it until one of his friends said "but you'd never hear someone say for example 'shit did you see Laurence just fight those two ninjas?' or 'look out Laurence has got a knife'"

Personally I don't see this as a downside myself wink

Btw then we had ds and he has an even poncier name so, yunno.

Love gabriel and Albert too fwiw. You give good name op!

Love Laurence with this spelling. Like Gabriel and Vincent (but hate Vince). Don't like George or Albert.

survivingautumn Thu 18-Oct-12 19:44:50

You do hear that in my house Arterial! I have a Laurence and love it spelled both ways. We only went for that spelling because he's mostly known as Laurie so makes sense.

Fab name of course grin

Ham69 Thu 18-Oct-12 19:57:00

Another vote for Laurence nn Laurie. Love Gabriel also. George ok, not keen on others.

jaffacakehips Thu 18-Oct-12 21:24:55

Love love love it! I'd have the 'w' spelling, due to special meaning with me.

DH said no stupid man grin

rachel234 Thu 18-Oct-12 23:46:44

Lawrence is a lovely name.

In France Laurence is the female version of Laurent (like Florence is to Florent) so I prefer Lawrence for a boy.

echidnakid Fri 19-Oct-12 07:44:49

I think Lawrence Dallaglio might disagree about the tough guy thing! I love Lawrence/Laurence and also Gabriel (it's in my top two) so I don't think you can go wrong.

milkymocha Fri 19-Oct-12 07:48:45

Love Lawrence!
My childrens cousins name but it mostly gets shortened to Larry!

milkymocha Fri 19-Oct-12 07:49:37

I have a Vinnie George and my eldests middle name is Francis so iam very biased with your list grin

JimbosJetSet Fri 19-Oct-12 07:52:16

Great name. I'm a fan of names that aren't too trendy, aren't too weird and aren't too popular either... This ticks all the boxes for me smile

missnevermind Fri 19-Oct-12 07:58:21

Love Laurence one of my favorites.
George is good too.

Laurence is the name of a leader. A CEO. A president. A name with a bit of weight behind it without being stuffy and boring.

NormanTheForeman Fri 19-Oct-12 08:00:49

Prefer it spelled Laurence, but a nice name. I also love Gabriel. George is a bit boring and quite popular. Not so keen on Albert.

IvorHughJackolantern Fri 19-Oct-12 08:01:58

DH also vetoed Vincent, I love that name.

I like Laurence too but I prefer this spelling of it, and Laurie is a lovely nn.

moogstera1 Fri 19-Oct-12 08:25:04

DH also prefers Laurence.
Might have finally made the decision thanks to the overwhelming positives; thanks everyone.
So, there will be Henry, Joseph and Laurence.
Think they go quite well together.

IvorHughJackolantern Fri 19-Oct-12 08:26:01

Oh I love Henry too and DH wouldn't have it!

Stupid DH angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now