Talk

Advanced search

What do you think of the name Numa?

(23 Posts)
Marineblue Thu 18-Oct-12 13:38:39

I have seen it used in France and in Italy (we are franco-Italian), but I am not sure how it would work in the UK.
It's a boy name, Numa was a lengendary king of Rome smile
Is it used at all? Does that sound like a girl's name?

ladymia Thu 18-Oct-12 13:44:41

I like it but when i clicked on this I was expecting it to be a girl's name.

JennaLemon Thu 18-Oct-12 13:46:20

No. It sounds incomplete. It sounds rude. It sounds like a typo really.

I hate to post such a negative post. What about Noemie

UC Thu 18-Oct-12 13:48:44

Never heard of it. Don't like it. Sorry.

EdithWeston Thu 18-Oct-12 13:50:19

I'd not heard it before and don't take to it (sorry).

And I wouldn't be sure whether to pronounce it Noo-ma or New-ma, so I'd say you'd need the patience to deal with endless enquiry/correction to find it liveable-with.

scentednappyhag Thu 18-Oct-12 13:50:36

Reminds me of the Numa Numa guy on YouTube. Sorry, I don't like it for a baby.

MrClaypole Thu 18-Oct-12 13:51:25

It sounds made up, sorry.

And your child will be forever repeating and spelling his/her name to people. As someone with a ridiculous name, I can tell you that this is very very annoying!

BunnyLeBOOwski Thu 18-Oct-12 13:54:12

No

Just no.

MolotovBomb Thu 18-Oct-12 14:49:56

I think it sounds like a girls name; this is because it reminds menof Nuala (Noo-la)

Marineblue Thu 18-Oct-12 15:04:58

Ahaha ok, so this is very clear! Thanks All.
I am not so keen on the name actually, just something DH and I discussed...Well, there it goes!
I am forever wondering how names sound/appear in English, and Mumsnet has been an eye-opener.

eBook Thu 18-Oct-12 15:55:55

Another no from me, sorry.

How about Naomi, Nadia, Nina, Nicole, Emma, Roma?

AgathaTrunchbull Thu 18-Oct-12 20:13:05

I was expecting it to be a boy's name, but that's because I was thinking of Numa Pompilius! I reckon you could get away with it, although there are more interesting archaic Roman names, like Kaeso, Ancus, Numerius (wonder if that's related to Numa?).

Floggingmolly Thu 18-Oct-12 20:17:06

Wow, that is so crap.

Viviennemary Thu 18-Oct-12 20:17:48

I assumed it was a girl's name although I've never heard it before. I don't like it at all sorry.

Francagoestohollywood Thu 18-Oct-12 20:34:14

Op, I live in Italy and must admit I have never known anyone called Numa, apart from Numa Pompilio, one of the 7 kings of Rome, as you said!

Marineblue Thu 18-Oct-12 22:51:57

Franca, I must admit I have only heard IRL in France (2 or 3 times) but DH (the Italian) came up with it and it was a an Italian book about names too. I think DH must have had an attack of Roman Pride.

AgathaTrunchbull, I thought it might have been used in the UK as there are other, mmm, how to say that, "out there" Latin names (Tarquin?) used here. I am not so keen on Roman names actually, although I quite like Faustina for a girl.

About Numa, I was pretty neutral about it until I started this thread! Now I know ...never...grin. Having said that, the little boy called Numa in the nursery where I worked in France was really cute!

Francagoestohollywood Fri 19-Oct-12 08:51:01

grin!
I have to say that Numa sounds kind of cute if you take it out of the Italian context, iyswim.

I must say that as far as roman names go, I am warming up to the name Cesare (my db is a Cesare as well), because of an immensely cute ds of a friend!

Marineblue Fri 19-Oct-12 11:00:30

Franca, what are the "trendy" names in Italy this day? dh says he has no idea. I've got the impression that Italians are much more traditionalist than many other European countries re: names, but maybe this is changing ?

themaltesecat Fri 19-Oct-12 11:16:47

Mai Ya hee...

OP, look up "Dragostea din tei" on youtube. Great song, mind.

Francagoestohollywood Fri 19-Oct-12 12:11:39

here is a list of most popular names here in Italy.

Bear in mind that there are many regional differences among the most popular names. For example, in southern Italy you will find more Antonio and Nicola (names that I love) than in Northern Italy.
In Northern Italy there is the tendency of naming your children as if they were all Agnelli's heirs: Edoardo, Ludovico, Leonardo etc grin

Another Latin name that I like is Giulio, but I am not sure how it'd work in an English speaking country.

Names I like: Lorenzo, Filippo, Matteo, Giovanni, Antonio, Nicola, Giacomo, Pietro, Guido. My ds is Andrea. As you can see I am a bit traditional in my choices!

Francagoestohollywood Fri 19-Oct-12 12:13:09

Ah, I forgot Mario, I adore the name Mario!

I also like Milo, but I fear that it is a bit too twee.

Marineblue Fri 19-Oct-12 12:52:39

Themaltesecat, I agree that "Dragostea din" tei is a great song
I have great memories of the Summer of 2004 wink
I would have spelt the refrain "Nou ma Nou ma eï" however, so never associated it with Numa (prounounced differently in French).

Franca, thanks for the link. I do like Antonio and Nicola, but I am afraid Nicola would be taken as a girl name in Britain. Like Giovanni a lot, too.

Treaclesmart Fri 19-Oct-12 15:11:04

It looks like Numb which kind of means thick, i don't think it's nice, sorry/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now