Talk

Advanced search

Declan?

(18 Posts)
ladymia Thu 18-Oct-12 12:36:20

What's everyone's thoughts on this name for a boy?

I have always liked Dexter but since that has now become too popular I am considering this as an alternative.

rachel234 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:48:30

Declan is great - classic, cool and not overused/trendy.

rachel234 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:49:10

And it seems to mean 'full of goodness' smile

StrawberryMojito Thu 18-Oct-12 12:52:48

I like it, much better than dexter which is just a bit too trendy.

myjobismum Thu 18-Oct-12 12:53:34

Fab name! We had Declan Isaac as our top runner boys name last time, it turned out to be a DD so she is Naomi, but would have used it for sure if it was a boy! Great solid name with a lovely meaning and although well known, no overused, which is nice!

Any thoughts of middle names to go with? grin

JennaLemon Thu 18-Oct-12 13:03:09

I like it well enough and it's a normal enough Irish name for a man - but I can't immediately see it on a baby! I would get used to it very quickly though! one look at a baby Declan and I'd be 'over it'.

What about Diarmuid. More now, but in fact, if you use a name that is more popular with adults then there will be fewer of them.

JennaLemon Thu 18-Oct-12 13:03:57

Dexter too sur namey and too serial killery

AThingInYourLife Thu 18-Oct-12 13:08:15

I love Declan as a name. It's a family name, so I know a good few of various ages.

ladymia Thu 18-Oct-12 13:45:48

myjobismum I am no having a middle name smile

Right with a boy's name now picked it will probably end up being a girl! (I find out in a week)

On to the next gender grin

myjobismum Thu 18-Oct-12 21:23:15

Awww well if no middle name then it is great to have such a fab solid first name for sure grin I assume you are all set now and Declan it will be? how exciting!

How many weeks are you? :D

So, girls names, any thoughts?

ladymia Fri 19-Oct-12 10:11:51

I think I am settled on Declan now yes! I really do like it.

I am 19 weeks I find out in another week.

Girls names are a bit more tricky because i have an embarrassing like for American cheerleader like names blush but I am trying to snap out of that now and find a sensible name smile I love the name Dakota so need to find something similar to that but not that

squoosh Fri 19-Oct-12 11:06:52

Declan is a bit 80's to me.

Ham69 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:53:18

Yes, like it. Makes me think of Declan Donnelly which is a good thing!

Leonas Fri 02-Nov-12 19:51:34

I hate to say this but I really dislike it - I am a teacher and all of our Declans are quite unpleasant boys! I just has negative connotaions for me, which is one of the perils of being a teacher!

dementedma Sun 04-Nov-12 20:57:34

Lots of Declans here in our part of Central Scotland, and it seems that most of them are wee horrors!

mathanxiety Sun 04-Nov-12 21:01:42

Declan is a great name, and good luck next week.
All sorts of traditional boys' names would go with it as a mn.

SineadMac Tue 13-Nov-12 09:34:30

Declan is a fabulous name - kind of rugged, so not maybe great for baby but great for when he grows up!

If you'd like to see more Irish names you could take a look at my blog and a curated list of other cool and unusual names at Irish Baby Names

Leeds2 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:13:33

Makes me think of Ant and Dec.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now