Talk

Advanced search

Please help, being induced 3 weeks early and still can't decide on girl's name.

(22 Posts)
Bimbledorf Thu 18-Oct-12 10:26:36

I am almost bored of looking at names now. My husband and I are mostly on the same page, which is helpful, but that page is one of serious indecision so....

We love all the names I'm about to list but each one has an issue hmm

Middle name will be Hope I would love this as a first name, but think it needs to be more than one syllable and dd1's middle name is Grace so like that.

India - beautiful, but for those who don't know it is actually a classic British name totally rip it out of her?

Seren - we both love this - but isn't it a chav name in Wales? We live in the midlands so shouldn't matter I know!!

Mya - I LOVE this, my husband not so much. He doesn't like the spelling Maya either as he says he just sees May - a, so this would have to be the spelling.

Cassia - again husband not so keen. I think it's pretty, but does the nn sound like a dog's name??

Imogen we both love this loads, but know a few and I can't help thinking of Imogen Thomas! Not who I would love to name my daughter after.

Eliza Again both love, but not the nicknames - Elly or Liza

ARRRGGGHHH

Please help smile

Agnesinroom25 Thu 18-Oct-12 10:28:45

Imogen, Eliza or India are beautiful.
Good luck x

echidnakid Thu 18-Oct-12 10:43:38

I love Eliza and really like Imogen. Both sound good with Hope too!

Grace0102 Thu 18-Oct-12 11:27:59

Eliza is a beautiful name.

Im pregnant with my third daughter, my eldest is Grace(9yo) and believe it or not people change it to "G" or "Gracie".............. so even if we chose names we believe cannot be shortened, children tend to change the name anyway.

Stick by your guns though, If people try to adapt the Eliza, correct them - after all why change such a beautiful name.

good luck

squoosh Thu 18-Oct-12 11:56:53

Cassia. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Ebb Thu 18-Oct-12 13:19:10

Eliza Hope sounds lovely. smile

manicinsomniac Thu 18-Oct-12 13:25:29

Oooh, I like all of those so not much help here!

My order of preference would probably be:
India
Imogen
Cassia
Seren
Mya
Eliza

Bimbledorf Thu 18-Oct-12 13:28:43

Thanks so much for taking time to reply, its def helpful to see other people's opinions!

nasara Thu 18-Oct-12 14:00:02

We seem to have very similar taste in names as I am also expecting a girl and almost all those names have been seriously considered.

India is the name I am least keen on, not entirely sure why. I think the main issue is that it is a place name.

I love Imogen and Mya, but wouldn't go with my last name. Saying that, I know lots of baby Imogens - too popular for me.

Seren is also lovely, with a lovely meaning. I don't think its being popular in Wales ('chavvy' or not) would affect my decision.

I love Cassia, but I'm slightly concerned about it being too unknown, and it seeming like a made-up name.

I also really like Eliza - in fact, this thread has reminded me just how much. I had discounted it for being too popular, but actually I don't think it is an issue any more.

newby2 Thu 18-Oct-12 17:34:06

Nasara and Bimble- my thoughts exactly for some reason we'd ruled Eliza out (probably surname beginning with Z did it) but this has just reminded me it should go back in. We have India (Indie) on our short list and Flora and Martha and Emilia if that helps. Most of your your names nice apart from Cassia Seren and Mya just not my taste.

MoonHare Thu 18-Oct-12 19:38:27

Eliza or Imogen.

Neither are hugely popular and I wouldn't give potential nn's a second thought, don't call your child by the nn and no other adult will. It's their own name and eventually your child might decide to give themselves a nn or accept one from friends, there's nothing you can do about that and no name that can't be shortened/changed into something else.

Like Eliza as a nn for Elizabeth.

Not overfond of Cassia (it reminds me of trees or leaves or something) but I love Cassie.

Imogen is nice. Don't like Mya or India.

getoffthecoffeetable Thu 18-Oct-12 19:45:27

I'd stick with all your choices and then wait until you meet your little bundle. DH and I had a shortlist and then both wrote down on a bit of paper which one we thought DS looked most like after a day of getting to know him. Thankfully, we'd both written down the same name! If there was any dispute though, I'd definitely have played the giving birth card until he agreed with me!
All your choices are lovely by the way! Good luck with the birth.

ceeveebee Thu 18-Oct-12 19:47:18

I have an Eliza. I think it's a beautiful name and not that popular, think it was about 250 in the last name chart (for 2011).

smogwod Thu 18-Oct-12 19:54:12

I too like most of your names but no need to decide now, wait until she arrives and see which seems to suit best. Dh and I each had our own favourites for DD1, I thought I was going to be in for a battle, but then once she was born dh said 'she's far too beautiful to be an x' and so I got my choice!

Ham69 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:03:49

I love Eliza. By far my favourite on your list.

crockydoodle Thu 18-Oct-12 20:06:33

Eliza is my favourite.

MarshmallowFarm Thu 18-Oct-12 20:08:27

Love Eliza and Seren, both go beautifully with Hope.

Round here (Midlands) Imogen is becoming ultra-popular amongst all types of parents but still a v. pretty name. I'm not keen on Cassia, sorry - I think you would forever be explaining why you chose it?

Love Maya too - but again I think the Mya spelling would cause confusion and might be pronounced as Mia (at first glance I thought it was Mia spelt a different way...)

Good luck with the induction! I was also induced 3 weeks early with DS!

FurryFox Thu 18-Oct-12 20:09:05

Love Imogen, but I may be a little biased smile

UltraBOF Thu 18-Oct-12 20:09:57

Yes, Eliza is the one I like most.

Bimbledorf Thu 18-Oct-12 21:05:13

woo, thanks everyone. Very helpful, I see eliza seems the most popular - I think that is the way we are leaning, although I do like the idea of writing it down on a piece of paper after the birth, smogwood smile

Bimbledorf Thu 18-Oct-12 22:03:12

getoffthecoffeetable Sorry, twas you who did the writing down after birth thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now