Talk

Advanced search

Is Ralph that BAD?

(65 Posts)
xmasevebundle Wed 17-Oct-12 13:27:10

I did a thread on here a while ago, apart from the judy blume(i didnt know who it was until i did the threadhmm) and the simpsons link,

Is it really that bad?

I really love it, it feels right. Peoples comments are putting me off when i say what im calling himsad

He would be Ralph charlie..

Bluestocking Wed 17-Oct-12 13:29:47

To my ears, it's ghastly. But if you really love it, go for it!

SamSmalaidh Wed 17-Oct-12 13:30:51

I met a Ralph recently. It's cute.

It does make me think of puking in a Sixteen Candles/Saved by the Bell kind of way though.

GooseyLoosey Wed 17-Oct-12 13:31:47

It was my Grandad's name, but everyone always said it "Rahph". I really like the sound of this but can't quite get my head alround Ralph.

SamSmalaidh Wed 17-Oct-12 13:33:26

Ralph Fiennes pronounces it Rafe - I think you might have to be quite posh to pull that off though.

Arithmeticulous Wed 17-Oct-12 13:36:23

Is it really that bad?

Yes.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 17-Oct-12 13:36:25

I like it. Unfortunately dh hates it....

sonniebonnie Wed 17-Oct-12 13:36:40

I really like Ralph and know a lovely 12 year old one. I've not read the Judy Blume books but can't imagine many youngsters still do nowadays.

Ralph Charlie is great.

xmasevebundle Wed 17-Oct-12 13:36:55

No, it would be ral-ph.

I dont like Rafe, looks like rape.

Two completely different names sad

Sl1nkyMalinki Wed 17-Oct-12 13:38:06

I can't get over the Judy Blume association, so I'd probably snigger inwardly if I was introduced to a Ralph <perpetual teenager> Sorry.

popsypie Wed 17-Oct-12 13:38:43

I really like Ralph - I had it on my list. I also like ralphie - it is really not that much different from Alfie and no one bats an eyelid at that. But Charlie Ralph also sounds good too.

cheesesavory Wed 17-Oct-12 13:43:29

No, it’s one of my favourites. And yes Ralph, not Rafe!

Gwennan Wed 17-Oct-12 13:46:59

I don't mind Ralph (Ralf) but I prefer Ralph (Rafe) and Raphael.

poppydaisy Wed 17-Oct-12 13:48:39

Ralph is a great name and I too prefer it pronounced Ralf. Makes me think of Ralph Lauren or Ralph Fiennes - both of which are good associations imo.

Please don't name him Charlie Ralph - there are far too many little Charlies out there and I would love to meet a little Ralph!

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Wed 17-Oct-12 13:52:53

I don't think it's too bad, although it does make me think of the Judy Blume thing and also the annoying, comically posh (the few people I've met called Ralph have fallen into this category, think Boris Johnson, but more of a tosser).

xmasevebundle Wed 17-Oct-12 13:53:10

No, he would be a Ralph charlie, he takes my middle namegrin

I thought everyone hated it, glad i posted as some like it.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 17-Oct-12 13:54:19

No, I think it's rather dashing. He's probably friends with Guy, Miles, Adam, Xander and yes, Charlie.

Rafe is the upper class pronunciation, I don't think it's ever spelt that way (is it?).

Raphael is low-level popular, very lovely and gives Rapha rather than Ralphie as nn, otherwise similar. I think Ralph is like the more sensible older brother of Raphael (in terms of my associations, not origins of course).

JennaLemon Wed 17-Oct-12 13:55:48

I like Rafe. If you just use Rafe, spell it Rafe, say it Rafe then saul goodman.

in fact, just use Raphael with Rafe for short.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Wed 17-Oct-12 13:59:41

I am going to guess OP hasn't read much Judy Blume. There's a penis called Ralph in 'Forever' I can't get past it myself.

femmeaufoyer Wed 17-Oct-12 14:23:30

No it's amazing. I desperately want to use it for DC2, if it's a boy! But DH is having none of it. I'm so jealous if you're able to use it. The Judy Blume reference is lost on me.....

PosieParker Wed 17-Oct-12 14:24:52

Yuck. Sorry.

xmasevebundle Wed 17-Oct-12 14:38:12

I am not with the babys father, so the choice is all mine!

Is it getting popular now? I haven't met a ralph.

As op said its a penis in a book, i have never heard it but im not an avid reader and i doubt that my sons classmates will be reading judy blume..

evamummy Wed 17-Oct-12 14:43:16

Why are people worried about an random penis named Ralph in a book written many years ago. I'd hot heard of the book, and most current children will not be reading it (it's american, I think). What about names like Will/Willy or Benedict/Bendy Dick - those are far more penisy than Ralph imo!

I know a cool Ralph who's about 16 now and so I like the namesmile. Once you meet a lovely real life Ralph any Judy Blume associations will vanish instantly imo.

zombieplanmum Wed 17-Oct-12 14:44:04

>Its a great name - i called my bike ralph <helpful>

Bluestocking Wed 17-Oct-12 15:03:49

I always think of Ralph Malph in Happy Days <showing my age>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now