Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Nicknames for Emilia

(15 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Tue 16-Oct-12 21:47:13

Ok already have another thread debating pronunciation of Emilia. If we use it for possible DD it would be pronounced eMILLYa even though I gather from everyone here that is not the 'norm'. (We'll emphasise the pronunciation to everyone but lump it if people say Amelia).

Anyhoo....

Bearing in mind our pronunciation would you shorten this name to:
*Emmie
*Milly
*Something else?

Ideally I wouldn't shorten it at all but it's inevitable that some nickname will emerge...

Thanks x

Bluestocking Tue 16-Oct-12 21:48:54

I wouldn't worry about it until possible DD arrives. Nicknames develop organically.

thepuddingchef Tue 16-Oct-12 21:50:06

Milla?

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 16-Oct-12 22:03:54

Oooh I like Milla - had thought of it short for Camilla (which DH vetoed) but not for Emilia.

deleted203 Tue 16-Oct-12 22:05:48

We have an 'Emilia' in school who is always known as 'Milly'.

baskingseals Tue 16-Oct-12 23:09:51

think Mimi is very sweet.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Tue 16-Oct-12 23:14:49

Wait and see when she arrives. There are so many Amelia/Amelie/Emily/Millie/Emilia etc when she starts school she'll probably be Emilia first initial or Emilia with the glasses/red shoes/blonde hair!

ILikeRed Wed 17-Oct-12 09:36:29

Wait and see when she arrives. There are so many Amelia/Amelie/Emily/Millie/Emilia etc when she starts school she'll probably be Emilia first initial or Emilia with the glasses/red shoes/blonde hair! -

Just to reassure the original poster, I'm a teacher in a school with 3,000 children ( secondary with primary and nursery attached) and there isn't one Emilia. Maybe we should all just call our daughters Gertrude or Beryl to avoid giving them popular names?

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 10:05:09

Em, Emmy/Emmie, Meelie, Mee, Mia, Milly/Millie, Lee, Leah/Lia, Leelee smile

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 10:06:26

And Mimi, Mi-moo and all sorts of other lovely oddments smile

newby2 Thu 18-Oct-12 12:01:18

Mimi and Emmie are lovely. We love Emilia too it's a contender along with Flora and Eliza.

BoyMeetsWorld Thu 18-Oct-12 17:34:09

It's just a bit depressing that it gets pronounced like Amelia which is pretty much the most common name ever ATM sad I like Milla and Emmie I think as abbreviations...

amck5700 Thu 18-Oct-12 18:06:17

Ella?

Theas18 Fri 19-Oct-12 23:13:04

I think if you want to have the name said
E-Milly-a with the emphasis on the Milly then you'd be sensible using Milly as the nick name to influence the easy the fill name is said (I think you'll have to teach people how you want it said lots to start with)

BexGershon Sat 20-Oct-12 18:03:04

My sisters name is Ameilia (she's 30 and it was most unusual then) but we have always called her Milly, Milly-Lilly, Mills or Minnie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now