Talk

Advanced search

Is Maud too miserable?

(61 Posts)
JessieEssex Tue 16-Oct-12 12:35:58

My DH loves it, and I'm drawn to it, but not sure if it's too 'down' as a name? I can't say it with a happy voice iyswim, but on the other hand I think it's different and classy. I have an Imogen already and think they go nicely together. Thoughts?

peachypips Tue 16-Oct-12 12:40:13

Not sure...like you say it's not a happy sounding name, and also rhymes with 'bored'! How about Maeve?

JessieEssex Tue 16-Oct-12 12:45:22

peachy I was thinking exactly the same about 'bored'. Maeve is lovely - it's going on the list!

Also on my girl list (boy names are for another day) -

Penelope (love this but DH not so keen)
Harriet
Meredith
Juliet
Frances / Francesca

Quite a short list at the mo!

Bunders99 Tue 16-Oct-12 12:45:38

I really like Maud. It's old fashioned but cool too. And there aren't that many around. Personally, don't think it sounds down, but maybe you're thinking that because it's like maudlin?

WitchesTitWhistles Tue 16-Oct-12 12:45:39

Yes! It's surely short for ' Maudlin'. What about Madelaine? Or Pearl? Or Mabel, Edith or Margot?

JessieEssex Tue 16-Oct-12 12:47:09

Haha! Welcome baby Maudlin. Hmmmm.
Mabel and Edith are nice, not sure what DH would say, he's not mad on 'old lady' names (apart from Maud!)
Also love Martha

juneybean Tue 16-Oct-12 12:49:20

Aww I like Maud/e... Bring it back OP

JennaLemon Tue 16-Oct-12 12:57:31

I think it's horrible, sorry!! and i like names from that era. I love Edith, Mabel, Margot,, Dulcie, Greta, Gretel, Meryl.... Maud is an unattractive sound. jmo obviously.

JennaLemon Tue 16-Oct-12 12:57:57

Also Maggie

JennaLemon Tue 16-Oct-12 12:58:56

Just seen the rest of your list. Juliet and Maeve are beautiful.

SamSmalaidh Tue 16-Oct-12 12:59:04

I love Maude, nicer with an e on the end though I think.

peachypips Tue 16-Oct-12 13:00:14

I like Meredith too... And Juliette...

smother Tue 16-Oct-12 13:14:02

I absolutely love the name Maude! Somehow seems to be a name that you have to 'carry off' rather than being instantly appealing but I know a little girl who does it in style! I think it can be a nickname for Matilda but is a great standalone name in any case. Go for it, it'll make a refreshing change!

JennaLemon Tue 16-Oct-12 13:14:58

inspired by downton of course, but what about Sybil!?

lovely. sadness will be forgotten!

JessieEssex Tue 16-Oct-12 13:49:03

Thanks all. It does seem to split opinions - perhaps it would work better as a middle name? Penelope Maud anyone?!

ruby22 Tue 16-Oct-12 16:22:05

Maude is lovely and if I have another girl that will be her name.

MolotovBomb Tue 16-Oct-12 17:05:53

Sorry, OP, I'm not keen at all on Maude. It is too sullen sounding, and does not go well with the fabulous, sophisticated and sparkly Imogen, IMHO.

How about Miriam for Imogen's sister?

MolotovBomb Tue 16-Oct-12 17:10:13

Agree that Pearl or Penelope would go beautifully with Imogen. Let's see these particular names together:

Imogen and Maud/e
Imogen and Miriam
Imogen and Pearl
Imogen and Penelope

Ooooh, tough choice (aside from Maud/e, that is). Personally, I'd go for Pearl, but then again, Penelope does have a lovely sound to it ...

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 16-Oct-12 17:13:09

Ugly and depressing, and down there with Enid and Ethel in foul old lady names that should never be revived. Does it trip happily off the tongue with a smile? No. It pulls your face down in a sort of grimace. Imogen is lovely - please find something equally nice and sparky for her sister!

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 16-Oct-12 17:14:07

The other names on your list are all lovely - vastly better than Maud. <shudders>

outtolunchagain Tue 16-Oct-12 17:14:10

I love the name Maud ds3 who is 10 has a Maud in his class

October1st Tue 16-Oct-12 17:18:30

I just cannot stand all these old woman names being bandied about.I know it is probably a generation thing but they are awful Maud fgs!

Badgerina Tue 16-Oct-12 17:22:53

I think it's ok. She might grow up to be a Goth grin

eBook Tue 16-Oct-12 17:58:16

I don't like Maud, but everything else on your shortlist is nice, particularly Frances and Juliet.

ShowOfBloodyStumps Tue 16-Oct-12 18:01:56

Maud is a very special name where MN is concerned. It makes me smile. smile I also happen to like it separate to its memory iyswim.

Meredith is lovely, really like it.

Maud is short for Matilda btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now