Talk

Advanced search

Holly - A serious enough name?

(19 Posts)
Hidethecrisps Tue 16-Oct-12 00:21:36

My husband and I have pretty much 99 per cent decided on Holly, probably Holly Rosa Surname.

We like the name and it seems to tick all the boxes....
- goes well with our surname
- Goes with dd1's name Nia (IMO)
- is the favourite of dd1 (age 3, certainly not essential, but a bonus I feel)
- seems like a name that will 'suit' our family IYKWIM

But something is just holding me back, I'm not sure what. I just don't know if I love it? I keep searching for other names that I might prefer, haven't found any yet though. Could it be that it's not a serious enough name? or perhaps it's just a last minute wobble? (37+ weeks)

What do you think of it and could you imagine a Dr. Holly xxx etc?

Thanks in advance!

MelodyPondering Tue 16-Oct-12 00:27:18

I totally love Holly. It's the name I wish I'd used.

Devora Tue 16-Oct-12 00:34:52

I don't love it, but I think it's a very pleasant name. Yes, I can imagine a Dr Holly - I know an adult Holly and she is a high achiever smile

BlueSuedeWitchesHat Tue 16-Oct-12 00:43:35

I know a Dr Holly, a paramedic Hollie and a Holly who is about a year away from being Holly QC.

None of them are remotely serious though grin

Hidethecrisps Tue 16-Oct-12 09:05:34

Thanks ladies! I feel reassured now.

I think it's probably that after the initial excitement of choosing a name, I started to assess it for practicality etc. and this seems to have somewhat sucked the fun out of it slightly!

Plus with dd1 and dh on board I feel like I've almost lost my say in the matter, even though I'd almost certainly choose Holly anyway! Just being over sensitive, Oh don't you just love pregnancy hormones!

imustbepatient Tue 16-Oct-12 10:01:32

I think it is lovely for a child and also suits an adult, as it falls on the right side of 'not too cutesy'. Nice choice!

BonaDea Tue 16-Oct-12 10:04:58

I like it as a name. My DH loves it and it is high on his list. Don't think we'll go for it, but it is definitely an 'adult' sounding name, as well as a nice name for a little girl.

Only thing I'd say is it is a bit less unusual than your existing DD's name...

eBook Tue 16-Oct-12 11:51:57

It's a lovely name smile

DebK2012 Tue 16-Oct-12 19:43:01

No, I've never thought Holly as a serious name.

VolumeOfACone Wed 17-Oct-12 12:17:27

I think it's lovely. Holly and Nia definitely go well together.

Gwennan Wed 17-Oct-12 12:31:25

I think Holly is a serious enough name. I like it.

Beware of pairing it with another floral name (e.g. Holly Rose) as that might tip it too far towards the cutesy end of the spectrum.

greenhill Wed 17-Oct-12 12:43:15

It is a lovely seasonal name. I really like Holly.

Do you think that you are unsure about it because subconsciously you associate Holly with Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, the Soham schoolgirls? Sorry to spoil it for you, if you weren't thinking of that at all, it's just that sometimes a name can have a negative association in the back of our minds and we can't think where we heard it before.

MolotovBomb Wed 17-Oct-12 13:07:18

Holly is a nice name, but not the most exciting name, IMO. Not as funky as Nia. Maybe this is why you're wobbling? Holly is a perfectly respectable name; nice choice for a winter baby. If you change her name now, though, it might be difficult for your Nia to understand ... but that's not the right reason not to go with the right name!

Here are a few alternates for winter babes

nameberry.com/list/89/Winter-Baby-Names

Good luck!

Chopsypie Wed 17-Oct-12 13:11:56

It makes me think of Holly Willoughby

xmasevebundle Wed 17-Oct-12 13:22:36

Yes, i love holly!

Was a choice for me if i was having a girl this december!

Lovely name.

sassyandsixty Wed 17-Oct-12 13:49:52

Holly is a great name but too 'planty' to be used with Rosa?

Runningblue Wed 17-Oct-12 13:59:11

Hi
I think holly is a lovely name, and IMO much more suited to a child or an adult, than some popular names out there at the moment.

It would be one of my top choices if it wasn't wasn't for our tricky surname confused

StrawberrytallCAKE Thu 18-Oct-12 19:34:33

I love Holly and have a dd due in December but our last name would make her name sound like 'Hollywood' so we can't really use it sad.

EllenParsons Sat 20-Oct-12 00:53:50

I absolutely love it. Good choice and goes nicely with Nia IMO!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now