Talk

Advanced search

Lily

(71 Posts)
Flumpyflumps Mon 15-Oct-12 19:00:14

Isnt it just a really nice inoffensive name? Surely no one could have anything to say about short floral names?? I'm just checking before its official...
Speak now or forever hold your peace (or whatever the saying is) ha ha

Dogsmom Mon 15-Oct-12 19:05:28

It's my absolute favourite girls name, however, it's popularity has stopped me using it, It's high in the top 10 and I already know 3 baby Lily's (bearing in mind I know 5 babies in total).

Flumpyflumps Mon 15-Oct-12 19:15:06

My mum said she thought it was babyish and not a grown ups name.

I disagree, and think its girly and one of the most inoffensive names I've heard.
Popularity doesn't bother me, but not being taken seriously later in her life does.
Just want second opinion

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 15-Oct-12 19:24:45

I like it, it's sweet and pretty without being faddish IMO. If you don't want something too popular you could always go for Lilias or Lilian and have Lily for short.

eBook Mon 15-Oct-12 19:25:28

It's a lovely name smile

osterleymama Mon 15-Oct-12 19:53:42

I think it's lovely and it's a classic and beautiful name for a woman as well as a nice one for a little girl.

CharlieBoo Mon 15-Oct-12 22:01:24

It's a cutesy, floral name... It's pretty inoffensive. However it is by far the most popular girls name... I know 6 altogether and there are 3 in dd's pre-school... All known as Lily D, Lily with the purple shoes and little Lillie... That would bother me in a BIG way....

tammy234 Mon 15-Oct-12 23:25:08

There are so many little Lilys ( or Lilies?) already. She will need a modifier to be identified...

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Mon 15-Oct-12 23:29:51

It is a nice name, it's pretty and I think it would suit baby/child/teenager/adult, but it's so popular I think will date badly. It's going to be like Sarah or Claire or one of those dull, 4 in each class names.

JennaLemon Mon 15-Oct-12 23:30:45

It's a bit too girly for my taste. Jmo. I would prefer Libby short for Elizabeth. that is stronger.

squoosh Mon 15-Oct-12 23:45:34

It's the new Tracy.

OrangeLily Mon 15-Oct-12 23:47:13

Beautiful grin

CharlieBoo Tue 16-Oct-12 07:21:33

Agree about it being the new Tracy I'm afraid.

googlyeyes Tue 16-Oct-12 08:18:21

How on earth can it be the new Tracy??? Whatever you think of the name, it is undeniably classic! Same as Isabel, Emily and Olivia, they are very popular, but could hardly be called the new Tracy.

In my daughter's year of 90 kids she is the only Lily, there are none in my son's year, and at ds2's nursery there are none. On the other hand we know 5 Emilys, 3 Mias, 4 Rubys and 4 Olivias, and there are 4 Isabellas in nursery, so it's all down to personal experience I guess!

VictoriaOKeefe Tue 16-Oct-12 08:34:28

Just out of interest, why is "too girly" a problem. Smells like internalised sexism to me...

EdithWeston Tue 16-Oct-12 08:40:18

LiLy has been popular for well over a decade now, so I don't think it's a sharply generational name.

I like it.

ChiefOwl Tue 16-Oct-12 08:49:02

It is very popular, we know loads of Lily's and nearly everyone has a Rose/Daisy/poppy as a sibling !

squoosh Tue 16-Oct-12 10:23:39

I know one elderly Lily and know personally of approx 15 Lilys under the age of 7. So to me it is a sharply generational name.

googlyeyes Tue 16-Oct-12 10:46:47

My dd is nearly 9, and Lily was just becoming popular again then so in that way it probably could be described as sharply generational. But what names aren't? The only ones I can think of that aren't are Lucy, Emma and Elizabeth. Even Emily and Olivia have only become massively popular again in the last few years.

I really don't get what's so dreadful about a name that dates you anyhow? Why would you care? When you're an old lady your name will by definition become an old lady name! I was born in the 70s and don't mind a jot that my name reveals that to be so.

I think it's very easy to over-think re names, and you could drive yourself mad trying to satisfy an never ending list of criteria! Choose a name you love the sound of and stick with it. To me Lily sounds beautiful and I haven't regretted choosing it for a second. I don't give a hoot how many others there are out there, none of them are my Lily....and her name is just perfect for her

Gwennan Tue 16-Oct-12 10:50:04

Lily has jumped from 85th to 4th in 2010 (source).

It was the number one girls' name in 2011 if you take into account all of the variant spellings of the name and its hyphenated forms:
LILY (4,761) LILLY (1,950) LILLIE (515) LILY-MAE (275) LILY-ROSE (250) LILLY-MAY (217) LILY-MAY (211) LILLY-MAE (174) LILLY-ROSE (116) LILLY-MAI (105) LILLIE-MAE (99) LILY-MAI (95) LILI (93) LILLI (78) LILY-GRACE (57) LILLIE-MAY (43) LILY-ANN (42) LILLIE-ROSE (39) LILLY-GRACE (36) LILLY-ANN (35) LILLIE-MAI (32) LILY-ANNE (32) LILIE (23) LILLY-ANNE (23) LILY-RAE (20) LILLEY (16) LILY-MARIE (16) LILLYMAY (15) LILYMAY (15) LILLYMAE (14) LILY-JO (14) LILLI-MAE (13) LILLI-MAI (13) LILLY-RAE (13) LILLIE-GRACE (12) LILLY-SUE (12) LILY-ELLA (12) LILLY- (10) LILY-BELLE (10) LILLEE (9) LILLYROSE (9) LILYBELLE (9) LILYROSE (9) LILLY-ELLA (8) LILLY-JANE (8) LILY- (8) LILY-JANE (8) LILY-SUE (8) LILLI-ROSE (7) LILLY-MARIE (7) LILY-JAYNE (7) LILY-LOUISE (7) LILLY-JADE (6) LILLY-JO (6) LILLYBELLE (6) LILYMAE (6) LILI-MAE (5) LILI-MAI (5) LILLIE-RAE (5) LILLY-LOUISE (5) LILY-EVE (5) LILY-FAITH (5) LILEE (4) LILLI-GRACE (4) LILLI-MAY (4) LILLIMAY (4) LILLIROSE (4) LILLY-BELLE (4) LILY-BETH (4) LILY-JADE (4) LILY-KATE (4) LILLIE- (3) LILLIE-PAIGE (3) LILLIMAI (3) LILY-JAY (3) LILY-MAYE (3)

Source

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It's a lovely, pretty sounding name but I wouldn't want my daughter to have the most popular name in the UK. Names are there to identify people and she may have to be known as 'little Lily' or 'big Lily' or 'Lily Smith' and that would bug me. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

JennaLemon Tue 16-Oct-12 10:50:50

"Just out of interest, why is "too girly" a problem. Smells like internalised sexism to me..."

Just taste. I like a boy's name to be strong. So names like Owen or Finn don't quite make it. Just personal taste. I'd find a name like Constance a little TOO strong though. IF lily were unusual then it might matter if a lily ended up being not very flower-like (how many women are flower-like!?) but because it's so common it doesn't matter, it will just wash over people.

JennaLemon Tue 16-Oct-12 10:52:01

@ Gwennan, wow. if that doesn't put the OP off, nothing will. Shame really; that everybody gets the same idea all at once.

dieciocho Tue 16-Oct-12 11:06:22

Ha ha ChiefOwl "we know loads of Lily's and nearly everyone has a Rose/Daisy/poppy as a sibling !" - my parents have 2 cats who are twin sisters; they're called Lily and Poppy!!!

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Tue 16-Oct-12 11:22:17

'Just out of interest, why is "too girly" a problem. Smells like internalised sexism to me... '

It's to do with age, not gender. A name that is 'too girly' is one that suits a baby and small child, but isn't going to suit an adult woman as well.

It's just the same as Alfie or Teddy being boyish names, great on a 2 year old, but maybe not quite so good on a 40 year old (in some opinions).

Ebb Tue 16-Oct-12 11:22:55

I know it's popular but I love the name Lily. Dp vetoed it for DD though. My DS is called Oliver so I don't worry too much about where it is in the top 100 names. I think if you love a name, you should go for it. Incidentally my Oliver is the only one in his year group at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now