Talk

Advanced search

Can a girl be Robin or must she be Robyn and what do you think of it?

(25 Posts)
wildpoppy Thu 11-Oct-12 18:27:17

Too over the top for a baby due Christmas week?

minipie Thu 11-Oct-12 18:45:44

I think either is fine - I know a female Robin. Lovely name IMO. Possibly a bit twee for a Christmas baby grin but if you like the name why the hell not - only family & friends generally know birthdays so most people she meets during her life won't make the christmas connection anyway.

RillaBlythe Thu 11-Oct-12 18:48:18

I would always assume Robin to be a boy & Robyn to be a girl.

AThingInYourLife Thu 11-Oct-12 18:48:42

Robin is great for a girl.

Exogenesis Thu 11-Oct-12 18:51:13

I have a Robyn, I wanted to spell it with the i rather than the Y but, her Father refused saying it was for boys.....

I choose it as it was not a "common" name but, not so far out people raised eyebrows. (unlike some of my suggestions)

We have great fun at christmas with all the Robyn Christmas stuff about!

Nishky Thu 11-Oct-12 18:52:33

I think either- and it is a lovely lovely name for any time of the year smile

xkcdfangirl Thu 11-Oct-12 18:55:49

Robin for a girl is quite usual in the USA but in the UK girls are almost always Robyn with Robin assumed to be male. However, given the increasing encroachment of amerification in the UK you could probably get away with the i.

MrsJohnDeere Thu 11-Oct-12 19:09:00

I think a girl can be either spelling (and Robin is the norm in the US), but a boy can only be Robin.

Excellent name!

mathanxiety Thu 11-Oct-12 19:41:38

Sweet name and I think either spelling is fine.

VerySmallSqueak Thu 11-Oct-12 19:44:18

I think Robin would definitely be my choice of spelling whether girl or boy,and I think it's just lovely for a Christmas baby.

YouMayLogOut Thu 11-Oct-12 20:35:07

Robin is fine for a girl.

PandaNot Thu 11-Oct-12 20:38:54

I know a seven year old Robyn and she's just lovely. Fab name with either spelling.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Thu 11-Oct-12 20:43:54

I really like Robyn for a girl.

I would use the Robyn rather than Robin spelling because I think it looks nicer. I'm sure you could use either though. Girls are more often Robyn so I think you may have more problems with people spelling it wrong/assuming she's a boy if you spell it Robin.

QuickLookBusy Thu 11-Oct-12 20:46:59

Agree with Holy, I think Robyn looks nicer than Robin.

It's a lovely name.

AThingInYourLife Thu 11-Oct-12 21:23:11

NOoooooooo, Robin is nice and simple.

Robyn is a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

MoelFammau Thu 11-Oct-12 21:57:22

My 17mo DD is Robin, Bob or Boblet for short. We get a lot of compliments. Her friend is also Robin, but a boy. It makes for very confusing afternoons.

I wanted the bird so insisted on Robin. Robyn just looks weird to me.

manicinsomniac Thu 11-Oct-12 22:33:26

I love the name but think it should be Robyn for a girl as, in the UK, people assume that Robins are boys. Which isn't a problem if you are seeing them female Robin but is if it is just a name on a list, form etc.

SwedishEdith Thu 11-Oct-12 22:37:23

I knew a Robin who was Robina. Robin is lovely

PheasantPlucker Thu 11-Oct-12 22:37:59

Friends of ours have a Robin, one of 4 sisters. She's lovely.

halloweeneyqueeney Thu 11-Oct-12 22:39:39

I don't like Ys in the middle of names, and the only girl one I've known was Robin and I think it's lovely, I don't really like Robyn, plus recently its become quite common to insert Ys in the middle of boy names so nowadays a Y makes it look more boyish to me (Jaydon, Kayden etc)

SomersetONeil Fri 12-Oct-12 06:26:33

I know an 80-year old lady Robin - lovely name.

Badgerina Fri 12-Oct-12 11:06:40

I love it for a Christmas girl, but I do prefer the Robyn spelling smile

evamummy Fri 12-Oct-12 11:51:32

I think Robin is lovely and looks much 'cleaner' and elegant than Robyn. Lovely choice imo!

MolotovBomb Fri 12-Oct-12 12:17:41

I'm not one for American-esque names, but Robyn is one ofthe exceptions. It's absolutely gorgeous: cute, funky and just a little bit cheeky. Go for it! But with a 'y' not an 'i' smile

badtime Fri 12-Oct-12 13:42:07

Just to confuse matters, 'Robyn' was not always feminine - the earliest recorded reference to a certain outlaw spoke of 'Robyn hode'.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood#History

I prefer Robin, for a girl or a boy. It's one of my favourite names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now