Talk

Advanced search

Did you pick your dc's name out of a hat?

(7 Posts)
ellesabe Mon 08-Oct-12 20:26:41

Dh and I have quite different tastes he is incredibly fussy and we cannot find any names that we agree on. I have suggested hundreds of names to dh, to which he has mostly said "no" with the occasional "it's okay". He has suggested a few, none of which I am keen on either.

Last night he suggested that we each make a list, swap lists, cross off any that we hate, and just pick a name out of a hat. The thing is, I would be really miffed if one of my names wasn't chosen and we ended up with one of dh's suggestions. Also, even if one of my suggestions was picked out, I would really rather choose a name that we both love.
Dd1 has a name that we both love and it bothers me that this won't be the case for dc2 sad

So my question is, has anyone done this? Did you find a name that you both loved in the end?

Please help! I'm 35 weeks and this is really bothering me!

comeonbishbosh Mon 08-Oct-12 21:52:19

not quite that!

... but we did decided the surname of our DC dependent on whether no1 was a DD or a DS. DS would have got my surname, a DD his (obviously we hadn't found out in advance).

In the end she was a DD, got his surname (with mine as a middle name) - actually a good result as our chosen girls first name wouldn't have gone with my surname.

So, not sure if that helps! In our case, it helped settle a black and white either or decision which had no right or wrong answer in a way that completely took it out of our hands. No-one could feel that they had 'given in'. The choice of various first names is a little more complex. I think I wouldn't do it if you think you would feel resentful.

Good luck. It is hard isn't it.

persephoneplum Mon 08-Oct-12 23:46:33

Nope, couldn't do that - I'd be mortified if DH's name was chosen - Wolfgang!! I would never take that risk with my child's name lol smile

GoldPlatedNineDoors Mon 08-Oct-12 23:59:48

No, as dh didnt really make any suggestions except Jess for a girl. I spent my early labour at home in the bath shouting out names from the book as he did the dishes.

In the end we went for my favourite girls names (fn and mn) as he didnt feel strongly enough about his names to insist.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 09-Oct-12 00:02:23

Not a hat but a Tupperware pot. We had a short list of 8 names and he was 2 weeks old and still nameless so we put them all in the pot and drew out a name.

Dogsmom Tue 09-Oct-12 08:32:41

Is there a name that you and OH sort of agree on?

You still have 5 weeks until baby is here so choose one name and use it for a week when you talk about the baby instead of saying 'it' or 'the baby' or whatever else you call your bumnp, then do the same with another name, you might find out that one 'fits' or that sticks in your throat.

We're doing this and am only 18 weeks pg but the first one we tried has stuck and already feels like her name.

imustbepatient Tue 09-Oct-12 09:32:11

No but I'm getting close to considering it too! We currently have a short list of five first names and six middle names. Only the second middle name is actually fixed! The plan at this stage is to take the short list into hospital with us and choose when she arrives, in the hope that one feels right when we are holding her.

If that doesn't work then yes, it will be hat time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now