Talk

Advanced search

Hunt for a girls name... help needed!

(25 Posts)
Ekgh Sun 07-Oct-12 22:11:57

I am now overdue and we still haven't found a girl's name we agree on. I really like Martha, Matilda and Meredith and other half's favourites are Agatha and Imogen but I am not keen on the nn for those (Aggie/Immy).

Does anyone have any other suggestions for something similar but different! We like things which are solid but not too popular.

Many thanks in advance

LynetteScavo Sun 07-Oct-12 22:16:30

I thought you wanted to call her "Hunt". Phew!

Anthea

Audrey

Edith

Iris

BillyBollyBandy Sun 07-Oct-12 22:16:51

Margaret - Maggie
Madeleine
Elizabeth
Hannah
Violet
Florence
Elodie
Claudia
Emmeline

Tommy Sun 07-Oct-12 22:16:57

DS3 was going to be Lydia if that's any help.
From your options, I prefer your choices smile

steppemum Sun 07-Oct-12 22:18:38

Miriam

or course I might be biased...

Ekgh Sun 07-Oct-12 22:21:03

Thank you for the swift replies folks. Haha "Hunt" certainly wouldn't be popular-sounds like a Gladiator character!

Violet was my ggmother's name so has an appeal from that perspective. Do people like it or does it seem too retro/would it be shortened Vi?

naturalbaby Sun 07-Oct-12 22:22:50

Tamira, Tabitha, Penny, Erica, Delilah, Isla

BillyBollyBandy Sun 07-Oct-12 22:23:49

Could be Vivi? or Letti?

amck5700 Sun 07-Oct-12 22:25:15

Mabel
Blythe
Mairi

steppemum Sun 07-Oct-12 22:28:41

you can always choose your own abbreviation, or don't ever shorten it. I know people who never shorten (actually nowadays no-one shortens mine either).

Violet could be lottie?

YouMayLogOut Sun 07-Oct-12 22:57:17

Violet is a great name smile

How about Marianne, Miranda, Estella, Elspeth, Dorothea, Xanthe, Beatrice, Clara, Georgia, Holly?

BlueChampagne Mon 08-Oct-12 12:05:12

Meredith is fab! How about:

Rhiannon
Corinna
Meryl
Tamsin

Ekgh Mon 08-Oct-12 12:10:53

Thank you for all the suggestions, a lot to think about. OH is struggling to get beyond Agatha it seems, any ideas for other nn apart from Aggie. I don't expect that school children will stick to it but could help!

Thanks

shoppingtrolley Mon 08-Oct-12 12:29:15

My friend has a daughter called Agatha and it is never shortened, so I don't think you should worry too much about nicknames. Also there are nicer European nicknames for Agatha and Agnes: Aga for example.

Violet is nice. How about Viola? Good Shakespearean name, that.

steppemum Mon 08-Oct-12 12:44:55

school children will stick to it. Really, I don't think you should assume it will be shortened. if you like it go for it.

Narked Mon 08-Oct-12 15:40:27

I'm not a fan of your DH'd choices. Agatha shock

Matilda, Meredith, Martha are lovely.

Hannah?
Harriet?
Matilda?

imustbepatient Mon 08-Oct-12 15:50:22

How about Tabitha, being along the same lines as Agatha (but nicer IMO!)?

mollymole Mon 08-Oct-12 15:53:19

Have you considered Lucinda

PrunellaDeVille Mon 08-Oct-12 17:45:41

your options so far reminded me of this list
hate the term they've used 'funky clunky' but some of the names are great

Ekgh Mon 08-Oct-12 18:03:07

Thanks all, think I am going to stick to my guns on the Agatha pt.
I like Tabitha but always think of cats sadly!
I reckon the emphasis is on the funky rather than clunky from that list PrunellaDeVille smile but it looks like its got some interesting options thanks for the link -will give it a good scour!

TittyWhistles Mon 08-Oct-12 18:05:31

Hermione?

MoonHare Mon 08-Oct-12 18:13:20

Your choices are all lovely. Of your DHs I like Imogen. I know a 4 year old Imogen, nobody shortens her name. Any name can be shortened/given a nn and you have no control over it so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm of the school of thought that the person who gives birth gets final decision on the name. Nothing that DH has vetoed though. Unless he's vetoed your name ideas then chances are he'll be sooo overcome when baby arrives that you'll get to choose names.

Best wishes with everything

Narked Mon 08-Oct-12 18:49:02

I love some of the boys name on that list Prunella but not the girls confused

Ekgh Mon 08-Oct-12 19:44:30

Is winifred too far? Freddie for short? Seems sort of cool tomboyish to me but maybe the old lady vibe is too strong!

nappyaddict Wed 10-Oct-12 11:57:07

Sylvie, Jeannie, Ana, Patricia, June, Cynthia, Rosemary, Rita, Lillian, Wendy, Tulip, Gillian, Daphne, Darrell, Sally, Gwendoline, Mavis, Mabel, Minnie, Maggie, Judith/Jude, Janey, Clara, Anastasia, Rosa, Audrey, Miriam (Mimi), Hazel, Dorothy, Jenna, Stefya, Peggy, Alison (Ally), Margot, Frances, Betty, Diana, Angelina, Angelica, Maree, Teresa (Tessa/Tessie), Natalia, Belinda, Millicent, Tatiana, Loretta, Enid, Bessie, Bethan, Lispeth, Esther, Elsa, Elise, Elodie, Louisa, Luisa, Annabella, Cora, Tulip, Pansy, Flora, Rowan, Delilah, Deliah, Carlotta, Nancy, Claudia, Henrietta, Harrietta, Etta, Penelope, Nell, Beatrice, Beatrix, Vera, Susannah, Edith, Olive, Seraphina, Sefarina, Julietta, Josephina, Ethel, Petula, Dixie, Phoenix, Elvira, Miranda, Hilda, Barbara, Pearl, Hillary, Tabitha, Opal, Emmelina, Isadora, Theadora, Kitty, Genevieve, Helena, Lillith, Rosalind, Cordelia, Lisbet, Arabella, Claribel, Clementine, Norah, Evelina.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now