Talk

Advanced search

Emilia - pronounced Eh-Milly-a

(18 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Mon 01-Oct-12 17:28:31

Do you think this pronunciation (e-milly-a / e-milia) is too non-instinctive or would it work? It would be shortened to Emmie or Milly.

It's the only way we like it (don't like e-mee-leah at all) but want to know what people think...

Bonsoir Mon 01-Oct-12 17:33:08

It is quite hard to impose a non-standard pronunciation of a standard name.

Hello, my name is Anna. Pronounced Ah-nah.

MadBusLady Mon 01-Oct-12 17:40:04

I take it you're going for something closer to an Italian sound?

I'm not sure it's quite different enough to be distinctive to people if you see what I mean. I think there'd be a danger of people forgetting even after you've told them. It's not like (to take an example from another thread) Jan being pronounced Yan.

BoyMeetsWorld Mon 01-Oct-12 17:43:18

Hmmm would spelling it with two Ls make any difference ie 'Emillia' ?

To me, that's just the more phonetic pronunciation - I only realised people say it like Amelia when I started googling! We love it because of the Shakespeare character...

PestoSandalissimos Mon 01-Oct-12 17:47:38

I think if you name her Emilia, people will pronounce it Eh-MEE-lee-a

Asmywhimsytakesme Mon 01-Oct-12 17:48:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Birdies Mon 01-Oct-12 18:01:05

Spelling it Emillya is possibly the only way to make sure people will pronounce it right. Nice sounding name though

Gwennan Mon 01-Oct-12 20:05:21

To be honest, I think you're going to struggle to get people to pronounce Emilia as you wish.

I advise either naming your daughter Emilia/Amelia and adopting the common pronunciation, or simply calling her Emily.

Olivia has a similar cadence to Emily-uh if you're looking for an alternative.

Cezella Mon 01-Oct-12 23:26:47

To be honest, I still don't fully get the difference took me a few goes of reading to understand the pronunciation you want compared to the standard pronunciation. It's a pretty name but think most people will pronounce it as standard- unless you spelled it differently as a previous poster said.

meditrina Mon 01-Oct-12 23:32:16

I pronounce it E-milly-a, and I know I'm not alone in that. It's only on MN that I've come across people who say they say it in the same way as Amelia; never in RL.

SavoyCabbage Mon 01-Oct-12 23:34:46

I don't think you should have it if you really don't like how it sounds when pronounced the usual way. As you are going to hear it a lot and it will drive you batty.

LastMangoInParis Mon 01-Oct-12 23:37:10

E-Milly-Ah is like saying 'pitt-sa' for pizza, or 'whoo-mz' for hummus.
It seems a bit wrong.

BoyMeetsWorld Tue 02-Oct-12 07:08:55

Meditrina...that's interesting. Do you know / have any Emilias?

It does confuse me - I don't think this pronunciation is groundbreakingly strange, it's the way the name is spelt. To get the "mealy" sound like in Amelia I would've thought you needed an 'E' not an 'I' ie Emelia . If its spelt 'mil' in the middle, why wouldn't it be pronounced like Milly?

I think I'll watch a few Othello adaptations & see which variation the majority go with, as this is where we'd be taking the name from. I know when we saw it performed originally, it was the 'Milly' version but perhaps this was unusual...

meditrina Tue 02-Oct-12 07:13:19

Yes, otherwise I'd hardly say that I didn't hear it pronounced like that in RL, would I?

As I also say Emily and Emilio with a short 'e' and definite "mil" it don't seem remotely strange. Far less so than say mangling the traditional Sophia to "So-fee-ya" which I've only ever heard in US or on MN.

RustyBear Tue 02-Oct-12 07:23:23

There was an Emilia at the school I work at recently, and it was pronounced your way. Like you, I preferred that pronounciation, so I remembered it, but I think her mum found a lot of people didn't, and she was usually known as Milla.

Longtalljosie Tue 02-Oct-12 11:01:02

I think if you spelt it Emillia you might have more luck. But people will be pronouncing it like Amelia because that's the way it's usually pronounced I'm afraid...

areyoutheregoditsmemargaret Tue 02-Oct-12 11:53:28

I think you should call her Emily or risk a lifetime of being driven nuts by this

mollymole Tue 02-Oct-12 12:02:57

i think it sounds silly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now