Talk

Advanced search

Buddy

(28 Posts)
DrHolmes Sat 29-Sep-12 09:46:08

Hello, I am 25 and not pregnant but a lot of my friends have had babies recently and so it got me thinking about baby names. I absolutely love the name Buddy. I grew up with a Buddy Holly tape and a love for him so that's where it has come from but I just think it's a great name. A few of my friends think it sounds like a name for a pet dog and my boyfriends mum said she wasn't having a grandson called Buddy. So, what do you think?!

Biggem Sat 29-Sep-12 12:37:45

I think if you like it why not?!
Isn't Jamie Oliver's little boy called Buddy Bear?!

Badgerina Sat 29-Sep-12 12:42:18

It's ok. Would it suit a grown man though? It's cute, but not very sexy.

seeker Sat 29-Sep-12 12:47:44

Just ask a few adult men whether they'd like to be called it. Buddy Holly had it as a nickname.

DrHolmes Sat 29-Sep-12 14:05:52

Well, I do not like Buddy Bear! You can't ask people if they would like to be called a certian name because they won't see past their own name I don't think? When they are older they could just be "Bud" or use their middle name I suppose. Suppose it's not really sexy and whatnot but if he's gona be my son i won't care. Maybe that's the problem! Maybe I'll call him something "normal" and use Buddy as his nickname too. For a girl, I like Jessica.

Badgerina Sat 29-Sep-12 14:45:24

But he will care about being sexy. He will care a lot (might be a good idea to start getting your head around that, yes he'll be your son, but he'll also be a whole lot MORE than that grin )

Of course you can ask a man if he'd like to be called Buddy. People change their names by deed poll all the time, and are perfectly able to see past their own names when making that decision.

For me, it doesn't matter that Buddy is more of a nickname, its really about it not being a very adult sounding name. Bit too cutesy, IYKWIM?

septemberpie Sat 29-Sep-12 15:59:12

Agree with above - I would use it as a nickname personally - it's very cute for a little boy but he may not thank you for it as an adult smile

LynetteScavo Sat 29-Sep-12 16:01:38

Buddy is fabulous. smile

If it was a nn, what "real" name would you go for?

YouMayLogOut Sat 29-Sep-12 17:39:28

Buddy Holly's real name was Charles Hardin Holley.

How about Charles/Charlie?

YouMayLogOut Sat 29-Sep-12 17:39:58

Holly for a girl would be very nice!

MadCap Sat 29-Sep-12 17:42:30

I had a horse called Buddy once. His full name was I'm a Majestic Buddy actually. grin

DrHolmes Sat 29-Sep-12 18:01:00

Lynette: I'd pick Oliver, Leo, Ethan I think. I loved the name Jack but then i went out with a Jack and he turned out to be an a*se.
Badgerina: Yes you are right, I will have a very good think before i do name any child i have.
Youmaylogout: I do quite like Charlie actually!
Madcap: Love it! Maybe I will get a horse and call him Buddy instead!
Ilike thename holly, also poppy, penny and ginger but i suppose ginger is the same as Buddy.

SilkStalkings Sat 29-Sep-12 21:01:21

Think Buddy is horrible, sorry. It's kind of taking the piss out of your child. Fine for nickname.

SilkStalkings Sat 29-Sep-12 21:09:58

"he says his name is William but I'm sure it's Bill or Billy or Mack or Buddy" Sheryl Crowe grin

seeker Sat 29-Sep-12 21:31:53

I'm presuming you put Ginger in there as a test to make sure we were reading your posts properly?

DrHolmes Sat 29-Sep-12 21:41:13

Ginger is awesome. Ginger Rogers smile Brilliant.

Did you like all the other ones then, Seeker?

monkeyfacegrace Sat 29-Sep-12 21:53:24

'Buddy the elf, whats your favourite colour?'

[Grin]

seeker Sat 29-Sep-12 22:03:59

Ginger Rogers- real name Virginia.

Holly and Poppy- every second girl in the country is one of those.

Penny-OK as a short for Penelope.

DrHolmes Sat 29-Sep-12 22:24:08

I like Virginia but prefer ginger. I only know one holly and never met a poppy. I am in Scotland though are you in England?
Buddy the elf!

seeker Sat 29-Sep-12 22:37:00

Speaking as a red head and the mother of red heads, you just can't call a child "ginger" without the get out clause of alternative abbreviations.

DrHolmes Sat 29-Sep-12 22:57:25

But my girl wouldn't be ginger headed (by the law of genetics). You're seeing it.from a hair coloured point of view and I'm seeing it as a name.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Sun 30-Sep-12 04:06:31

Yeah, but an awful lot of other people are going to see it in terms of the hair colour aren't they? Because that's what it's most common use is. This is another example of where you need to get past what you think in isolation and look at what it's going to do to the child when it starts school.

Buddy is fine as a nickname, but not a full name.

Gugglebum Sun 30-Sep-12 06:42:19

Buddy was the name of the first horse I ever rode. Quite a pleasant fellow. But. Well. A horse. And then, yes, Buddy the Elf "Smiling's my favourite!" pops immediately to mind too. They're at least not unpleasant associations... I'm in the nickname camp with several PP's.

nooka Sun 30-Sep-12 06:58:02

Buddy is a cutsie nick name, and an alternative to 'mate' as a way to refer to a friend. Where I live now it is also how men commonly address children that they are coaching or mentoring 'great catch buddy', 'you can do it buddy' etc. Also very commonly used for dogs (aka man's best friend/my best buddy). I really don't like it as a given name, to me it's a bit like junior or baby, not really a name at all.

Totally agree with Badgerina, it's a big responsibility naming a child and you have to do your best to be sure that they will thank you rather than curse you later in life. I can't imagine anyone being very happy with a first name of either Buddy or Ginger for that matter. Both to me would be better used for pets.

DrHolmes Sun 30-Sep-12 08:48:57

Yeah I dont think I will actually call any of my children that, I just wanted to see what outsiders thought of the name to see if anyone in the world out there agreed with me! LynetteScavo was the only one!
I do understand what other posters are saying re. school. I do have a name that includes a nickname for a vagina althought its not spelled the same way (can you guess?!) and I did get teased for it, I wouldnt say bullied but def teased, but i dont think i cared I just thought...Silly boys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now