Talk

Advanced search

Middle name dilemma for DC2

(10 Posts)
HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Fri 28-Sep-12 15:44:12

DC2 being induced tomorrow morning. Last night DH & I were talking about our short list of names, I thought we'd agreed that if a girl then middle name would be Anne, which is MIL's middle name (DD1 middle name is same as mine & my DM's) but DH said he doesn't like it as it sounds too 'double barrelled' and he wants to use MIL's first name instead which although is a perfectly nice name I just don't like it as a middle name & don't think it would go with chosen first name for DD2. So can you convince me I like it or help me explain to DH, without sounding like I'm insulting his DM, that I really don't like it.

If DH gets his way baby will be Evelyn Cheryl, if I get my way it will be Evelyn Anne.

Should I let him have his way or continue to 'argue' my corner?

Of course, we could end up having a boy, but that's a whole new kettle of fish as we can't decide on any boys names at all!

YouMayLogOut Fri 28-Sep-12 15:48:58

I think Evelyn Cheryl would be lovely.

Evelyn Anne is too heavy on vowels and the letter n.

humblebumble Fri 28-Sep-12 15:50:37

Oh Evelyn Anne is so much nicer. The tradition is that you use middle names isn't it? well it is now

What are your choices for boys names <nosey>

HeffalumpsAndGoldenWoozles Fri 28-Sep-12 16:41:56

I can see the point about maybe too many 'n' sounds, hadn't noticed that before. i really want to like DH's choice so maybe if i keep repeating it over & over i will get used to it!

humblebumble DH likes Joshua as his first choice but I think it's used a lot now even though its lovely so my joint first choices are Elliot or Elijah, he doesn't like either but we both sort of agree on Liam as a second choice.

HyvaPaiva Fri 28-Sep-12 17:34:48

I think Evelyn Anne is really lovely if that helps. It flows very well where Evelyn Cheryl doesn't to my ears. And there's something about the repeated Y that means it doesn't scan well either. Just my thoughts, of course. Evelyn is a truly beautiful name, good choice! smile

Kelerina Fri 28-Sep-12 18:36:58

Evelyn Anne definitely

jkklpu Fri 28-Sep-12 18:39:08

In reality, people don't use middle names other than for filling out forms, so it won't matter either way for scansion.

humblebumble Fri 28-Sep-12 21:34:12

I like all your first choice boy's names. I only know of one child called Joshua but like you I assume it's really popular.

It is true that the middle name is very rarely used. I hardly every use my DC"s middle names or my own. However, you do want to really love your child's name.

Ham69 Fri 28-Sep-12 21:42:23

Sorry, really not keen on Evelyn Cheryl. Doesn't flow and don't like how it looks written down. Evelyn Anne, on the other hand, looks and sounds great. Hope that helps!!

DizzyPurple Fri 28-Sep-12 21:52:13

iI prefer Evelyn Anne too. And I love Elliott for a boy. I think Joshua is popular whereas none of your other names are that popular in my experience. Very exciting baby nearly here. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now