Talk

Advanced search

Here's my list of girls but no boys names...

(17 Posts)
Wiggy29 Fri 28-Sep-12 09:12:41

We don't know what we're having and like quite a few girls names (both agree on top three listed below as possibilities). When it comes to boys though, we can't seem to agree. I'll list all so you (hopefully) can help us with some ideas.

Girls We Both Like
Lauren
Robyn
Beth
Larna
Rowen

Boys Names OH likes
Joseph
Matthew
James
Sam
Thomas
You get the picture, basically traditional/ biblical type names.

Boys Names I like
Evan (OH doesn't mind but doesn't love)
Jonny
Aubrey
Avery
Sebastian

Any ideas for boys names we might agree on? We're both pretty sure it's a boy so feel like it would be helpful to have at least a vague idea of what we'f call or son!

emmyloo2 Fri 28-Sep-12 09:26:05

Girls We Both Like
Lauren - this is ok
Robyn - I don't like this
Beth - lovely as a nickname for Elizabeth
Larna - prefer Lorna
Rowen - bit too American for me for a girl

Boys Names OH likes
Joseph - love this
Matthew - also nice
James - I like it but way too popular and a bit dull for my liking
Sam - see comments for James
Thomas - see comments for James
You get the picture, basically traditional/ biblical type names.

Boys Names I like
Evan (OH doesn't mind but doesn't love) - like this
Jonny - only as a nickname for John or Jonathan
Aubrey - bit American sounding for me
Avery - see above
Sebastian - I really dislike this name although I am not sure why. A perfectly respectable choice though

Other boys names - what about Owen, Felix, Jasper, ummm...Patrick, Gabriel, Emmett, Everett, Nathanial??

My boys names list are very old fashioned so I am not sure you will like them, so I won't suggest them.

Emsiero Fri 28-Sep-12 09:27:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

diddlediddledumpling Fri 28-Sep-12 09:27:34

We have an Evan, I love it.
Also a Saul and a Peter.

Wiggy29 Fri 28-Sep-12 09:35:26

emmyloo- Yes, OH defo goes in for more traditional names. We did talk about Nathanial but think we both preferred Evan. I don't mind old fashioned/ traditional names so would be happy to hear your list if you don't mind sharing? smile

Emsiero- We both teach and have had lots of naughty Aarons! Seems to be a bit like names like Jordan/ Declan etc where we live (as in tend to be little monkeys). Already an Adrian in our family and had wanted to avoid that.

Diddle- Does your Evan always get his full name or does he have any nicknames? Not as keen on Peter and OH defo wouldn't go in for Saul.

diddlediddledumpling Fri 28-Sep-12 09:40:36

Evan never called anything but Evan, as far as I know. I know of another that gets Ev, but he's a grown up and I assume he's happy enough with it.

Gwennan Fri 28-Sep-12 09:54:49

Some compromise suggestions:

Aaron
Adam
Asa
Asher
Conrad
Cyrus
Daniel
Digby
Edmund
Edwin
Eli
Emmett
Everett
Felix
Francis
Gabriel
Jasper
Jesse
John, with the nickname Jonny
Julian
Leo
Louis
Miles
Milo
Montgomery, Montague, Monty
Nathan
Noah
Peter
Quentin
Ralph (or Rafe)
Raphael
Roland
Rowan - I noticed this on your girls' list
Rufus
Seth
Sidney
Silas
Simon
Stanley
Timothy
Tobias, with the nickname Toby
Victor
Vincent
Wilfred
Winston
Zachary

As far as your girls' names are concerned, I would spell Larna as either Lana or Lorna and Rowen as Rowan. Beth is very pretty but you may wish to consider using Elizabeth, Bethan or Bethany as her given name. As you like Larna and Lauren, you might love Laura.

Wiggy29 Fri 28-Sep-12 10:16:00

Gwenan-love Gabriel so will suggest& Seth was option for ds1 so will mention that to oh too. Thanks for ideas. Is Rowan commonly used for a boy?

Narked Fri 28-Sep-12 12:55:07

Owen?

Something that's 'traditional' on the birth certificate but a 'nickname' for everyday use? eg Edward could be Ned?

Nathaniel is traditional but might suit you too?

DessieLou Fri 28-Sep-12 13:38:19

All the ones I was going to suggest have been mentioned (love Gabriel, what did OH say?)....how about Nicholas or Rupert? Traditional but not overused. Your girls names are nice but I would say Rowan is more of a boys name, although I do know of a teenage girl Rowan. Good luck! smile

Wiggy29 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:21:55

Narked- I love Ned, it was my first choice for ds but oh wasn't as keen. I would have it as a stand alone name as love it so much. Don't oh will agree though but I'll defo float it past him again.

Dessie- not blown away by those but waiting for oh to get back from work to suggest others, now I know Rowan works for a boy it's on my list.

LarkinSky Fri 28-Sep-12 19:32:55

Rowan is a very unisex name - I know a little girl and a little boy Rowan, and an adult Rowan. I've never heard of it spelt as 'Rowen' with an 'e' though, always an 'a', so might be worth double-checking.

Gorgeous name, lovely cultural meaning and very easy to pronounce - it won't get shortened either.

jellybeans Fri 28-Sep-12 23:23:14

Evan
Joseph
Sam
Beth
Are my faves from your lists

How about

Euan
Maxwell
Luke
Ethan
Oscar
Ryan
Kieran
Flynn
Louis
Aidan

Georgina
Leona
Bethany
Zoe
Rebekah
Tia
Jenna
Rose

I know 3 girl Rowans and no boys.

Ham69 Fri 28-Sep-12 23:43:54

Narked and Wiggy, just to let you know that Ned was my number 1 choice for my DS until I googled it just before he was born.
Thank goodness I did because it is a very derogatory term in Scotland and it is said to stand for a 'Non Educated Delinquent'. There is a 'Ned Culture' description too which would really not be great to name your child after. Shame because I loved the name.

Wiggy29 Sat 29-Sep-12 08:08:22

Ham69- we were aware of this last time and this was something that put us off but, to be honest, we live in England and, like you, would probably have never heard of it unless a friend who had lived in Scotland mentioned it. Maybe if we lived in Scotland it would affect our choice but I don't think it would matter here.

LarkinSky- thank you! I'd hate to get it wrong and cringe forever! blush

Jellybeans-Ethan and Flynn now on list! I think if we used Beth it would be Elizabeth/ Bethany as a full name.

Thanks again for all the ideas folks thanks

At the moment it's Evan and Lauren at the top of each list.

littletomato Sat 29-Sep-12 11:08:44

How about Paul? Edgar?

mathanxiety Sat 29-Sep-12 20:49:18

Evan and Lauren are very nice.
Along those lines, I like Laura and Owen too, and also Laurel and Adam.

I hope you won't plump for Ned. Your poor DS might not be destined to spend all his life in England.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now