Talk

Advanced search

DH really likes Oscar.

(24 Posts)
EmpireBiscuit Wed 26-Sep-12 07:18:15

I'm not sure, but have no other real ideas.

What do you lot think?

emmyloo2 Wed 26-Sep-12 07:24:42

I do like it but it's very very very popular right now which would put me off it.

What sort of names do you like? Old-fashioned, more modern, posh, not posh??

Mama1980 Wed 26-Sep-12 07:28:57

I like it but its very popular right now if that's something that bothers you.

ripsishere Wed 26-Sep-12 07:29:41

Duncan. That's the way to go. Gavin or Adrian are good too.
My joy was unconfined when I spoke to a four year old Malay called Duncan. His parents chose it because, according to Duncan, it's a good strong name.

EmpireBiscuit Wed 26-Sep-12 07:44:21

Ooh I like Duncan.

I like traditional names, and I guess Oscar falls into that category. I'm not sure why, but I just dont think I like it. I'm sure I had a teddy bear called Oscar.

ripsishere Wed 26-Sep-12 07:58:10

DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN DUNCAN or Gavin or Adrian.
I agree with you as you can see. Not keen on Oscar, I don't know why. I do love Duncan though.

YouMayLogOut Wed 26-Sep-12 08:10:00

Not keen on Oscar, it sounds a bit fuddy-duddy posh to me.

Badgerina Wed 26-Sep-12 10:18:41

I have an Oscar. He's nearly 8. There are loads of little Oscars being born now and it has become very popular (although my Oscar is the only one in his whole school - we live in Central London). It's a lovely name though.

poppydaisy Wed 26-Sep-12 12:07:25

I don't like Oscar or Ossie/Ozzie, I'm afraid. It has become a little 'faddy' recently so perhaps will date more than a more timeless name.

I think Aidan is lovely, or how about Tristan, Quentin or Reuben? Or Dominic, Arthur or Alexander?

mayanna123 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:14:09

OP, if you don't like Oscar, the keep looking until you find a name you both like - have a look outside the top 100 as there are lots and lots of traditional names to choose from.

Personally I don't like Oscar much, but YOU need to choose name YOU and your dh love! Good luck!

RabidCarrot Wed 26-Sep-12 12:21:03

DS2 has a friend called Oscar and he is delightful, I do like the name, on the other hand we used to go to a nightclub called Oscars and so I always associate the name with that.

delilah88 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:41:05

Adrian is terrible!
I like Oscar. Don't forget Caspar and Jasper!

mayanna123 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:08:18

"Adrian is terrible!"

You find it that awful...?! Wow!

delilah88 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:10:56

maryanna lol, I have liked all the Adrian's I met. It's just one of those 'Clive' names I find it v hard to imagine a baby called!

delilah88 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:11:07

Sorry Mayanna

Kelerina Wed 26-Sep-12 14:20:30

LOVE Oscar but as people are saying, very popular. Really don't like Duncan.......Aidan is nice though.

rachel1970 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:20:44

I'm not that keen on Oscar or the nicknames Ossie, I'm afraid. I do like Caspar though, as has been suggested.

pictish Wed 26-Sep-12 14:21:34

I have an Oscar - he's 11. It suits him!

EmpireBiscuit Wed 26-Sep-12 15:17:53

DH has vetoed Duncan - apparantly there is too many Doughnut jokes hmm

peeriebear Wed 26-Sep-12 15:20:16

Oscar was one of my two top name choices for DS (2wks old). We went with the other one. I still like it, I do wonder if there will be a little flush of Oscars thanks to the lovely Mr Pistorius smile

Mumofthreeteens Wed 26-Sep-12 15:25:23

I love the name Oscar. In fact my ds is called Oscar. Don't like the other names mentioned.

Gugglebum Wed 26-Sep-12 18:52:33

I love that there is some love for Duncan! I have one who is 6, never had a single mention of doughnuts, grin and he has been the only one everywhere he goes. He loves his name. Oscar is a fabulous name. I went to school with a lovely one, and am a bit sad it's becoming more common and popular.

amck5700 Wed 26-Sep-12 23:45:19

There are loads of traditional names that are very normal but actually not used that much. Andrew, James, John, Martin, Allen, Alistair, Robert. Peter, or a little more unusual - Harris, Innes, Callum, Ross, Kerr, Miles.

I find a lot of the Oscar, jasper, casper type names a bit wet and also a bit like names you would give a pet - sorry smile

vamosbebe Wed 26-Sep-12 23:58:26

I've loved the name ever since I first saw my now-favourite film: The Odd Couple.

I don't know any Oscars, didn't realise it was popular again in UK. We're abroad and Spanish DH and I chose it for our DS for the international-ness of it. I also considered Felix (the Jack Lemmon character in the film) for DS but it was vetoed by DH as Felix is a cat's name. DS is NEVER Ossie or Ozzie - it wouldn't suit him a bit!

My favourite boy's name is Agustin (a-goose-teen, emphasis on the last syllable) but a bit impossible for the older members of my family to pronounce and spell. That also put our favourite DD name on the shelf: Izaskun (ee-tha-skoon, it's Basque).

Spelling and pronunciation for both families were the most important things when choosing our DS' name. Both my first and surname are pretty common and spellable but both were spelt wrongly on my Brownie certificate sad and I didn't want that happening to DS!! I've never recovered

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now