Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I don't feel like any girls' names are "It"

(32 Posts)
CheerfulYank Tue 25-Sep-12 03:52:24

Luckily I have until the end of May. grin But I like to have my ducks in a row.

Names I like, but don't seem right:
Caroline
Frances
Louisa
Josephine
Georgia/Georgiana

I like Anna but feel like it's too...plain, maybe? And anyway I'd like to avoid the initials A, M, and S. I liked Philippa/Pippa for a long time but I think everyone would say "Oh like Middleton..." now. sad

Names that are out due to family members/close friends:

Emma
Emily
Kate
Jane
Claire
Vanessa
Ella/any "El" name really
Rebecca
Anne
Hannah
Gabriella
Amelia
Grace
Charlotte
Constance
Samantha (also, I have a Samuel)

I want something recognizable as a name but not something you hear every day! Help, Mumsnetters, help! smile

TanteRose Tue 25-Sep-12 04:01:56

HEY! congratulations grin

erm, names...

will have a think - off to lunch here

wow, bet you are excited grin

CheerfulYank Tue 25-Sep-12 04:05:08

Thank you Tante! smile

I am VERY excited! It's very early days yet, but we've got a few boys' names we like and we'll see if he looks like any of them when he comes, if it's a boy. But no girls' names sound right at all!

Enjoy your lunch!

TanteRose Tue 25-Sep-12 05:05:57

OK, I'm back...

off the top of my head

Imogen
Violet
Naomi
Tamsin
Florence
Juliet
Miranda

smile

WandaDoff Tue 25-Sep-12 05:27:45

I'll be back, I'll have a damn good think 1st though. xx

emmyloo2 Tue 25-Sep-12 05:39:52

Hi, I am due at the end of May as well and am already thinking of names.

For girls - one I am really liking at the moment is Eleanor.

Also on our list:

Elizabeth
Victoria
Camilla
Alexandra
Juliet

Probably a little more out there is Theodora or Isadora.

I like the old traditional names though. I know someone who just had an Evelyn which I thought was really nice.

emmyloo2 Tue 25-Sep-12 05:40:38

Oh and being nosy, what boys names are on your list?

ripsishere Tue 25-Sep-12 05:55:20

Ottoline is lovely, so is Fiona, Elspeth and Ellen. I love Anna.
I would be concerned about Theodora, Robbie and Ayda have just had one.

TanteRose Tue 25-Sep-12 06:08:23

rip, Cheerful is in the States, and I don't think Robbie is known much over there...

our CY knows and loves Take That, I am sure, but her fellow Americans will be none the wiser grin

CheerfulYank Tue 25-Sep-12 06:30:49

Hahahah yes, no one knows from Robbie here. smile

I love Eleanor (was "the name" for a long time), Elizabeth, Elspeth, and Ellen, but SIL has just (two days ago!) had a little Ella, so I don't want to use anything that can be shortened to El or Ellie.

I do love Isadora, actually just brought it up to DH the other day. It's very pretty but a little...something! Not fancy, but...whatever it is, it's the same reason I crossed Araminta and Arabella off the list!

Violet won't work with our surname, and I knew a nasty little Naomi.

Tamsin and Imogen are pretty but are not really used in the States at all and I think people would honestly stumble over them! smile

Arrrghhh! So many names I love or like but none that are The One. Keep 'em coming!

Oh and congrats Emmy! For a boy we will probably go with Jack (not very popular here), William (Will) or Charles (Charlie). Nathaniel may come from behind for the win, though!

Philippa - Pippa will not be a forever association
Erica
Lydia

CheerfulYank Tue 25-Sep-12 06:37:14

I thought that about Pippa as well Yankee, but it's not much used in my part of the US at all, so Pippa Middleton is the first time most people here have heard the name. Still, it is nice though... smile

wouldratherbeonthebeach Tue 25-Sep-12 06:42:02

What about Pearl or Ruby? I love them both grin

SomebodySaveMe Tue 25-Sep-12 06:45:50

Adeline, Alexandra, Bethany, Harriet

Merlion Tue 25-Sep-12 06:55:40

Cheerful I have a Sam(uel) too and Eleanor was top of our girls list then but when I had dd I thought 'Sam 'n' Ella' might sound like a bit of a joke smile.

I also avoided A and M as those are my and dh's initials.

Anyway fwiw dd is Rosina (named after her Great Grandma).

RTchoke Tue 25-Sep-12 06:56:57

I love Isadora. If you want a similar but more common name what about Isobella or Ishbelle (Scottish). Isolde is Shakespearean.

Others:
Rose
Nina
Lily
Daisy
Flora
Chloe

emmyloo2 Tue 25-Sep-12 07:38:32

Agree re Isadora being a little OTT. I thought that as well which is why it is off my list. I really struggle to find "the one". I find girls much easier as there are quite a few I love. Boys names I am now trending towards something a little clunky like Humphrey or Barnaby. We already have a George.

I love your boys names though and I suspect in the US they won't be nearly as popular as in the UK. I adore Jack.

YouMayLogOut Tue 25-Sep-12 09:59:15

Coralie
Christina
Larissa
Lucy
Jessica
Clarissa
Evelina
Zara
Laura
Jasmine
Julianna
Clara
Ruby
Jennifer
Cecilia
Estella
Natalie
Beatrice
Belinda
Talia
Ciara
Karen
Lydia
Rachel
Carmen
Cassia
Victoria
Ivy
Emmeline
Olivia
Leah
Ruth
Felicity
Holly
Hermione

EdMcDunnough Tue 25-Sep-12 10:24:19

Oh your thread title rang bells for me. I felt like this the last few weeks and FINALLY have landed on a name that is the one.

It took a lot of brainstorming. I'm due in January and so relieved to have it sorted - though ds1 hates it, I'll need to work on him.

Ours is a boy so no help I'm afraid, but keep thinking about it, say names out loud, try them out in different combinations, be aware of names all around you - ours is the name of a composer, it just came to me in a flash of lightning.

Somehow it will all fit, when you have the right one.

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 25-Sep-12 10:28:30

Harriet
Phoebe
Alice

imustbepatient Tue 25-Sep-12 10:30:57

Am lurking for inspiration as I could have written your thread title! And DC is due in less than four weeks so i'm starting to feel a burning need to have the name sorted NOW!! grin

Gwennan Tue 25-Sep-12 11:34:43

Congratulations!

Based on your short list, I think you might like:

Alexandra
Alice
Annabel
Audrey
Camilla
Cordelia
Emma
Esther
Florence
Harriet
Helena
Honor
Joanna
Juliet
Lydia
Margaret
Martha
Matilda
Pearl
Phoebe
Ruth
Rosalind
Rosemary
Susannah
Tabitha
Teresa
Victoria

Heebiejeebie Tue 25-Sep-12 12:41:02

Nina?

BlueChampagne Tue 25-Sep-12 12:57:16

Corinna
Rhiannon
Vashti
Topaz

CheerfulYank Tue 25-Sep-12 14:24:48

Lots of pretty ones here, I'll have to go through each one slowly. Thanks!

The other thing is that our last name is Brick.

So. Anything that is a noun like a flower or virtue or gem or color name sounds odd.

Also my mother has a sister named Rose and they don't speak so any "Rose" names would cause more trouble than it's worth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now