Talk

Advanced search

Twin girls

(48 Posts)
Happymum22 Mon 24-Sep-12 23:08:27

My sister is having twins (they are pretty sure 2 girls) and asked me to help her choose names (her DP sadly died unexpectedly shortly after she got pregnant) unfortunately they had only had a definate boys name.
Her shortlist so far is :

India
Thea
Amelia
Lydia
Matilda
Sophia
Evie
Cordellia
Rosie
Darcey

I love all these names, they are a similar 'style' to my childrens but I'm finding it tricky to put them together with all the -a sounds. It is a family tradition to have two middle names which she would like to continue.

Any help? Thank you

LadyMetroland Mon 24-Sep-12 23:26:22

Too many a and e endings for any combination to work. If she used Rose instead of Rosie then that would help but I would suggest finding some more none a/e endings.

Are there any family names she could use in the middle?

Evangeline (Evie) India Rose
Theodora Rose Sophia

Ham69 Tue 25-Sep-12 07:50:53

I'm so sorry to hear that. Thank goodness she has you there for support.
I think Rosie and Thea sound lovely together.

midgetjones Tue 25-Sep-12 08:52:07

Sophia and Rosie would be lovely together.

Natnat29 Tue 25-Sep-12 09:02:25

Hope your sister is doing ok OP. love Lydia (can't use it myself as I know someone whose dd is called that) and evie. Would suggest Amelie instead of Amelia, think Lydia and Amelie sound lovely together

Ham69 Tue 25-Sep-12 12:59:02

I didn't read the 2 middle names bit.
How about out of the short list;

Rosie Amelia Evie
Thea Lydia Darcey

manicinsomniac Tue 25-Sep-12 15:45:47

So sad about your sister's husband sad I'm sure her new twins will be a massive comfort to her though.

India - really like it
Thea - lovely
Amelia - not keen on the 'mealy' sound
Lydia - like it
Matilda - love it, one of my very favourite names
Sophia - really like it
Evie - not keen, it's too 'nicknamey' for me
Cordellia - fancy but quite like it. Would spell with just the one l.
Rosie - like it
Darcey - quite like it

Combinations are tricky. I agree that turning Rosie into Rose would help a lot, as would making Evie into Eve.

How about:
India Thea Rose
Matilda Rose Sophia
Thea Amelia Rose
Darcey Lydia Eve
Matilda Eve Cordelia
Lydia Rose Sophia
Cordelia Darcey Rose

Natnat29 Tue 25-Sep-12 16:36:14

Op I just wondered if your Sister's partner's name or any of the boys names they chose had feminine versions she could possibly use?

londoner01 Tue 25-Sep-12 17:54:57

Thank you lots of great suggestions. My sister is watching this thread and loves manicinsomniac's especially. That's a great help.

lovely suggestion natnat29, DP was Will so not really possible, they'd decided on Alfie Benjamin Rueben and Harry Barnaby Miles. Neither have any obvious girls versions. We aren't keen on Harriet.

henryhsmum Tue 25-Sep-12 22:19:32

What about Willow as a female name similar to Will?

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Wed 26-Sep-12 00:44:15

India - not keen
Thea - not keen
Amelia - too popular
Lydia - not keen
Matilda - nice
Sophia - prefer Sophie, but nice
Evie - too popular
Cordellia - nice and unusual
Rosie - sweet
Darcey - used to love this, but getting popular I think

I think I'd go with Sophie and Matilda.

If you wanted to go down the naming them after their dad route there are a few options like Willa (which is lovely imo), Willow or Billie.

For a middle name I'd go with a family name/something that has some meaning so maybe grandmothers' names or something. If it has to be from the list I'd knock the 'ie' off of Evie and Rosie

Sophie Willa Eve
Matilda Billie Rose

nooka Wed 26-Sep-12 07:21:14

I don't like matchy names for twins, so I'd look to have one 'a' name and one non 'a' name. I think the idea of using a variant on William as a middle name is really nice - I really like HolyAutumn's suggestions other alternatives maybe

Cordelia Billie Rose
Darcey Willow Eve

winkle2 Thu 27-Sep-12 00:00:02

Love Darcey Willow!

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Thu 27-Sep-12 00:01:24

I'm not going to be much help but wanted to say a lovely list and wish her all the best.

Natnat29 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:56:09

Willow is a lovely suggestion, what about Ruby as a feminine version of Rueben

jaffacakehips Thu 27-Sep-12 22:25:52

Oh my goodness your poor sister. How awful.

India - LOVE
Thea - Like
Amelia - Like, but very popular
Lydia - Dislike
Matilda - Love
Sophia - See Amelia
Evie - No - Too much about wink
Cordellia - No, can't give you a reason just don't like it. blush
Rosie - LOVE, Rosy or Rose
Darcey - LOVE

India and Darcey
Darcey and Matilda
Darcey and Rose

Are lovely.

I wouldn't go for Amelia and Matilda together aka Milly and Tilly, might be a bit much grin Agree with other post on the a and e endings.

Something worth thinking about is giving the 2nd born twin a name which first letter is higher up the alphabet, that way they are from time to time is called first. My siblings are twins and this is something they have both mentioned.

Happymum22 Fri 28-Sep-12 11:22:49

for the lovely lady who PMed me and everyone else i've just noticed you must all be very confused- londoner01 is RL friend (met thru mn actually)- we were looking together at the thread at her house and i managed to reply on the wrong account!
Thanks, my sister loves that idea jaffacakehips. She was wondering how to pick which baby to give which decided name to!

We quite like
India Thea Amelie for one, that is pretty fixed but opinions?

But once we then cross out those three we are finding it tricky to choose a second. Especially if we are avoiding an -a name...

maybe Darcey Matilda or Darcey Sophia but then third name is a dilema! Ideas? She isn't keen on Rose/Eve/May type names. Thinks Skye is quite nice (never as a first name but maybe 3rd type thing!) but obviously not Skye with Sophia. Would quite like to get Cordelia in there, or Cordelie (we spotted that off another thread!)

Sister isn't keen on willow but lovely idea. She also doesn't want one child to have a link and one not to. So maybe best to scrap the idea all together.
Thanks again ladies -huge help- and any more ideas let us know!

jaffacakehips Fri 28-Sep-12 14:54:36

Glad that I could help grin

I think Darcey Matilda is just lovely. India and Darcey is just scrumptious. But then both those names on my list inc Matilda.

londoner01 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:01:12

Right, after a long rainy afternoon and playing about with options my sister is fairly set on..

India Thea Amelie and Darcey Matilda (?)
With pronounciation of Amelie is it Am-a-lee rather than Am-ill normally?

Anyone help with the second nickname for Darcey?
Also spelling of Darcey- Darcy, Darcey or Darcie ?!

londoner01 Fri 28-Sep-12 16:03:54

Done it again, still logged on the ipad on the wrong account! aghh!

jaffacakehips Fri 28-Sep-12 18:10:24

Question: Why does India get 2 mn? It is because it flows better <nosy> IMHO it's best to have the same esp with twins. My brother has an extra mn and as children I was very envy

Personally I prefer Darcy to Darcey.

racingheart Fri 28-Sep-12 18:20:10

India Amelie Rose
Mathilda Sophie Eve?
Sophia Darcey Eve?

Love all the names. So beautiful they make me broody for girls.

Ham69 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:54:47

Errr, jaffacakehips, I think you need to reread the post.

jaffacakehips Fri 28-Sep-12 19:22:33

Ham not sure what you mean? last post reads nickname not middle name! Unless I'm being an idiot no need to answer that wink

jaffacakehips Fri 28-Sep-12 19:29:25

Okay if I haven't of read last post at the speed of light I would of understood what OP was getting at!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now