Talk

Advanced search

How popular is Olivia?

(12 Posts)
DessieLou Mon 24-Sep-12 17:03:43

I know it was top of the pops for years but I don't actually know any. Is it really that common? How many do you know? I'm also thinking the same about Niamh...what do you reckon?

Redhillibilly Mon 24-Sep-12 17:12:21

There are a lot around my way. Niamh is lovely, but only if pronounced correctly, rather than as 'Neve'.

TidyGOLDDancer Mon 24-Sep-12 17:17:38

There are lots of Olivias I'm afraid. Not heard of any Niamhs though.

Dogsmom Mon 24-Sep-12 17:42:20

We have one in the family (she's 2) and a friends grandaughter has a 4 yr old Olivia.

MoonHare Mon 24-Sep-12 17:42:24

Despite it's statistical popularity I have never met a little Olivia and I have two DDs 4 and 1yrs. Perhaps it's more common in certain geographical areas, I think there's a website that shows name popularity by region (can't remember which it is though.......).

DessieLou Mon 24-Sep-12 17:50:12

That website would be interesting, let me know if you remember moonhare! Out of interest would you mind telling me where you are? I think you're right in saying it's geographical.
Thanks for pointing out the pronounciation redhilibily. After looking into it I think Niamh is off the list as I prefer the Neve pronounciation.

delilah88 Mon 24-Sep-12 17:53:16

Not many in my area, and no friends with babies called it.

SomebodySaveMe Mon 24-Sep-12 17:53:51

I know 3 Olivia's. I know 2 Niamh's!

MrsJohnDeere Mon 24-Sep-12 18:03:30

Kmow lots of Olivias (8 years and under). Only know 1 Niamh.

elizaregina Mon 24-Sep-12 19:39:22

painfully popular round here, used to like it but sick of hearing it now, all hear is grace, oliva and isbabella

wigglesrock Mon 24-Sep-12 21:39:01

I have an Olivia - she's just started primary school (almost 5). Out of an intake of 64 children, she's the only Olivia, was the same in her nursery school. I know one three year old and one eight year old Olivia.

I know lots of Niamhs grin, but all pronounced Neeve. But I agree its regional, my youngest daughters name is much more popular here (in NI) although its popularity is never mentioned on Mumsnet.

SuitedandBooted Mon 24-Sep-12 22:07:42

Try this website;
http://names.darkgreener.com/#olivia

5279 Olivias in 2010 alone! Apparently there are only 79 other boys sharing a name and birth-year with DS1 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now