Talk

Advanced search

Sophie or Madeleine?

(11 Posts)
leobear Mon 24-Sep-12 12:32:17

That's my shortlist for DD2. Or Sophie, with Madeleine as a middle name?
Considerations: she'll probably have to spell her (short) surname, so is Sophie more helpful in that case?

YouMayLogOut Mon 24-Sep-12 12:46:24

I prefer Sophie, although they're both nice.

NoToastWithoutKnickers Mon 24-Sep-12 12:48:27

Sophie!
<Biased mother to a Sophie and teacher of far too many Madeleines>

Notnowcato Mon 24-Sep-12 13:05:12

Sophie lovelier than lovely (nice meaning too), and nicer than Sophia IMO. Agree, many, many Madeleines/Maddys.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 24-Sep-12 13:10:59

I prefer Madeleine. You can't move for Sophies and Sofias here but I don't think I've met any child Madeleines.

LonelyCloud Mon 24-Sep-12 15:24:46

I love both names. I don't know any little Sophies or Madeleines.

LizLemon007 Mon 24-Sep-12 15:51:50

Never met a madeleine. But I still wouldn't use it. It's a mouthful, and Maddie is horrible. I prefer sophie, but there are millions of them. What about Susie instead of Sophie?

leobear Mon 24-Sep-12 16:45:50

Thanks everyone - Sophie is the frontrunner so far, then! LizLemon - not keen on Suzie. I know Sophie is very common (as in often used), but I don't mind that. I'm very keen on classic names, and there will always be a lot of people called by them. We have quite an unusual surname as well, so that "spices up" a safe first name.

HaveALittleFaith Mon 24-Sep-12 18:44:21

Size/susie is another one of those needs spelling out names isn't it? I think both are lovely actually but I would be conscious that not everyone could spell Madeline!

We are in the same position with a surname that needs spelling, makes it harder to chose a name doesn't it?!

mamalovesmojitos Mon 24-Sep-12 18:53:43

Sophie

LillianGish Mon 24-Sep-12 18:56:23

Both gorgeous, but Madeleine might get shortened to Maddie. The reason there are lots of them is because they are gorgeous, proper, timeless names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now