Talk

Advanced search

Xanthe Joy or Thea Adelphie?

(14 Posts)
NotChristmasCarol Sun 23-Sep-12 22:08:33

That's it really. Which do you prefer? I've abandoned the quest for seasonal names (DD2 due late Dec) and just gone with two names I love- Xanthe and Thea. With the middle names, Joy would be for my grandmother and Adelphie has significance as DD2 is a longed for and unexpected sister for DD1. While I like both middle names, I don't think they mix and match with the first names. So I don't really like Thea Joy, iyswim.

So: Xanthe Joy or Thea Adelphie??

YouMayLogOut Sun 23-Sep-12 22:10:35

Xanthe Joy is lovely!

Thea Adelphie is a bit of a mouthful.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Sun 23-Sep-12 22:11:28

Thea

mellen Sun 23-Sep-12 22:17:06

If you wanted you could have Xanthe as the formal name, but make Thea a nn, using the end part of the name eg the-a, that way you get them both

bigbluebump Sun 23-Sep-12 22:17:49

Thea, perhaps short for Theodora?

Not sure how to pronounce Xanthe: Xan-the, Xan-thee, Zan-the, Zan-thee?

NotChristmasCarol Sun 23-Sep-12 22:20:52

Xanthe is, in England anyway, Zan-thee. I love Theodora but it sounds too much and too rhymey with our surname- which is 3 syllables ending in an "ah" sound.

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 22:22:57

Xanthe Joy! Love it smile

NotChristmasCarol Sun 23-Sep-12 22:23:22

Mellen having had DD1's name shortened through school etc to something I don't particularly like, one of the reasons I like both Xanthe and Thea is that they're quite short and sweet and won't necessarily automatically be reduced by everyone to a single nn- famous last words!

mellen Sun 23-Sep-12 22:37:04

Never underestimate the ability of kids to shorten any name grin

Tryingtothinkofnewsnazzyname Sun 23-Sep-12 22:41:56

I love Thea but I'd go with Joy after it.

LuellaLovesLavender Mon 24-Sep-12 12:26:16

Xanthe Joy......really really beautiful!

DessieLou Mon 24-Sep-12 13:28:38

What beautiful names! A close call but I say Xanthe Joy. Xanthe has been vetoed by OH but I feel better knowing you may use it! smile

GoldenGreen Mon 24-Sep-12 13:35:09

Both beautiful. Only thing is it's a little awkward to say Thea and then another name beginning with "a".

NotChristmasCarol Mon 24-Sep-12 22:04:02

Thank you everyone. I think the consensus, with a little RL input as well, is on Xanthe Joy

And no vetoes to deal with- which is one of the (very few) advantages of having no DH or DP around. Always look on the bright side.... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now