Talk

Advanced search

What would you name twins? Matching or unmatching names?

(49 Posts)
Blackberrybush Sun 23-Sep-12 01:20:46

I'm having twins. 6wks 1dy to go. A girl and boy. I really need inspiration, so far I've only got Molly, Amelie and Susannah for a girl and Joshua, Isaiah and Theodore for a boy. Any suggestions?

Also, have you ever heard twins with really matchy names. I know twins called Amy and May (anagrams), Nevis and Snowdown (as in the mountains) and Thomas and Percy. I don't think the family realised how it matched for the last one, but I could only think of Thomas the Tank Engine.

nannyof3 Sun 23-Sep-12 01:23:05

Joshua and Molly are lovely together

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 01:23:49

I think too matchy-matchy is naff, but too different would be difficult for the babies.

Kind of like Clytemnestra and Jane. Not a good combination.

nannyof3 Sun 23-Sep-12 01:23:56

How about Thomas and Louise
(Tom & Lou)

nannyof3 Sun 23-Sep-12 01:25:28

Seb & Grace

Ollie and Anna

Jack and Jill grin (Joke)

Jacksmania Sun 23-Sep-12 01:25:39

Crap, just saw it's one of each. Sorry.

Ok, a better example of a bad combo would be Clytemnestra and John. IYSWIM.

Susannah and Joshua would be nice. Or Amelie and Joshua.

I am PMSL at Thomas and Percy btw grin

GW297 Sun 23-Sep-12 01:25:57

Joshua and Molly are lovely together - I agree!

Aspiemum2 Sun 23-Sep-12 01:30:41

Ours don't match, although do flow nicely together.
Perhaps not give 2 long names, Theodore is my favourite of your boys names so probably like Molly with that

Hannah and Isaac
Chloe and Mathew
Joshua and Fiona

Erm.....trying to remember twin names of folk I know in case you were wondering! I love my twin names but not wanting to reveal as that along with some of my other posts could bust me if anyone I know uses MN!

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Sun 23-Sep-12 01:31:16

I agree with Jack. Matching is awful, but equally you want them to sort of go together.

All your names go with each other though.

Amelie and Theo are both very popular. I know quite a few Mollys as well. I like Susannah a lot because it's lovely, but underused. I really like Joshua and Isaiah. Susannah and Isaiah is a bit of a mothful together though so I'd go with Susannah and Joshua.

LaplanderAndProud Sun 23-Sep-12 03:36:34

I love Susannah and Joshua. Susie and Josh? I baysat for two babies named Joshua and Susie-May (terrible name- Susie May?) and they called each other Joddy and Snoozy. It was adorable! Molly is cute though.

Napdamnyou Sun 23-Sep-12 03:49:01

Susannah and Isaiah go together, both Old Testament, and for same reasons Joshua and Susannah.

Josh(ua) and Molly sounds very sweet and goes well and so does Amelie and Theo(dore)

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 04:28:10

Why would anyone choose matching names? hmm

I love all of your names OP smile (unhelpful)

Blackberrybush Sun 23-Sep-12 04:41:33

We like Joshua and Susannah. Josh and Susie! Now I need to decide the MIDDLE names... Susannah Alice, Susannah Isabelle, Susannah Elizabeth Rose, Susannah Rachael or Susannah Juliet? Or are they all terrible? Joshua David, Joshua Andreas, Joshua Theodore, Joshua Benjamin or Joshua Thomas? Anyone out there?

Psammead Sun 23-Sep-12 07:35:04

I like Joshua Thomas and Joshua David.

Susannah Alice is lovely. Just watch out for possible initials disasters with your surname (SAD).

OwedToAutumn Sun 23-Sep-12 07:41:38

I'm so pleased you are plumping for Susannah! Any of those middle names are good. I like Juliet and Theodore the best, though.

baskingseals Sun 23-Sep-12 07:46:34

what about Susannah Joy and Joshua Valentine?

love your name choices, especially Susannah.

Kbear Sun 23-Sep-12 07:49:48

Susannah is lovely. not sure about a boys name BUT a top tip when choosing names is to think how they sound when you are yelling at them to come in for dinner/trying to catch them in the shopping centre when they are running in different directions!!

Melindaaa Sun 23-Sep-12 08:03:53

Oliver and Olivia?

Gwennan Sun 23-Sep-12 08:06:06

I like siblings' names to match but I would avoid:
anything beginning with the same letter (unless the sound was different e.g. Christopher and Charlotte)
anagrams
names of famous double acts
anything with too many syllables in common

I would be inclined to name twins names with the same amount of letters or with a stylistic, but not sound-a-like, connection (such as two Biblical names).

Of your combinations, I'd have Susannah & Joshua or Amelie & Theodore for stylistic reasons or perhaps Molly & Joshua as they are both popular names that sit nicely alongside one another.

Other choices, using one of your names in each, would be:
Oscar & Amelie
Susannah & Barnaby
Isaiah & Hannah
Theodore & Elizabeth
Joshua & Lydia
Molly & Samuel

exoticfruits Sun 23-Sep-12 08:20:47

Susannah and Joshua
You want names that go well together but I would avoid matching in any way.

marshmallowpies Sun 23-Sep-12 08:25:50

I haven't known many boy/girl twins, but ones I have known were/are:
Rafael & Isabella
Benjamin & Alexandra
Catherine & Alistair

Anyway I definitely think Susannah & Joshua are the nicest names out of that list. grin

Middle names I think go well...
Susannah Mary
Susannah Jane
Susannah Lucy
Susannah Caroline

Joshua Andrew
Joshua Matthew
Joshua Henry
Joshua Neil

... basically anything that doesn't end in an 'ah' sound would go well.

exoticfruits Sun 23-Sep-12 08:47:28

I knew identical twins who had names with 5 letters and only the middle one different - that was odd!

BikeRunSki Sun 23-Sep-12 09:06:05

I know twins with totally unmatching names, and some with names that begin with the same sound (J and G). I like the "similar sounds but different" ( along lines of John and Georgia, but not these names). Gives them different I initials too.

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 09:34:05

I know identical twin girls called Victoria and Victorina. I know boy/girl twins called Stephen and Stephanie.

It's cruel and ridiculous to choose "matching" or "rhyming" names for twins. I can understand choosing names that have a similar "feel" - people often do this for siblings, but you have to be extra careful
with twins I think. Less so boy/girl twins, but there seems to be a bit of a tendency to forget they're actually different, individual human beings.

I'm amazed to still see twins dressed the same!

Badgerina Sun 23-Sep-12 09:34:32

I also know girl twins called Roseanne and Rosemarie sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now