Talk

Advanced search

India, Tabitha, Jemima or Beatrix?

(18 Posts)
midori1999 Sat 22-Sep-12 17:27:17

I'm not even pregnant yet, let alone with a girl, but I am just fantasy naming babies.... blush

So, which do you prefer? I love Tabitha, but surname begins with a 'T', so I am not sure if that totally rules it out?

India is the only one DH loves, but it is similar to our dog's name and I am not sure if it's a bit pretentious? confused

peggyblackett Sat 22-Sep-12 17:31:31

Beatrix

YouMayLogOut Sat 22-Sep-12 17:34:19

1. Jemima
2. Beatrix
3. India
4. Tabitha

LuellaLovesLavender Sat 22-Sep-12 18:02:20

I love love love Beatrix and Tabitha! I also love alliteration! I am considering Beatrix and Tabitha but I think I will go with Beatrix as my surname begins with a B and sounds really fab with Beatrix! I do like Jemima but HATE Jem and Jemma so would be concerned that it would be shortened!

LuellaLovesLavender Sat 22-Sep-12 18:04:01

Oh and as for India it is not at all pretentious but could sound a little bit like what a teen mom would call their child!

midori1999 Sat 22-Sep-12 18:19:11

Thanks! grin @ teen moms using the name India... The only India I've known was very posh, maybe that's why I thought pretentious...

The Jem and Jemma thing is what puts me off Jemima, even though I adore it! DD is called Abigail and do far we've avoided shortened forms mostly, but I can't stand it when people call her Abbie, although no one who knows us does.

midori1999 Sat 22-Sep-12 18:20:16

The only thing that puts me off Beatrix is a friend called her DD Beateix years ago and was forever correcting people who thought it was Beatrice...

AndWhenYouGetThere Sat 22-Sep-12 18:23:24

My first vote is Beatrix - I love it! Tabitha is great too, and could be brilliant with a T surname (just not Twitchett!)

thefirstmrsrochester Sat 22-Sep-12 18:27:32

I love them all, esp India. DD is India. I am not a teen mum nor am I posh smile
Had I had another dd, I would have picked Beatrix from your list.

turningvioletviolet Sat 22-Sep-12 20:55:09

I have a Jemima and it has NEVER been shortened to Jem or Jemma by anybody. Usually Mima, Mimes or Mimi (at a push). Jemma is very much a name in it's own right, and a very different 'type' of name at that, and not one that i think most people would automatically shorten Jemima to. Having said all that obv i love the name (as well as the others on your list!).

Polkadotfanatic Sun 23-Sep-12 11:40:16

I like all these names, I would have said that Tabitha, Jemima and Beatrix sound like the most glorious Enid Blyton sibset - whilst India would be the cool, yet slightly edgy friend who tempted them away from the common room with tales of boys from another town....

In short, I love them all, but think Beatrix has the edge for me smile

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Sun 23-Sep-12 11:42:05

I love tabitha. It's very marmite on here though..

Psammead Sun 23-Sep-12 11:44:37

Love Jemima and Tabitha. Would use them for my own children.

India, not to my taste.

Beatrix - ok.

newby2 Sun 23-Sep-12 15:31:47

Love India, dignified name afraid not keen on others but do like Jem for Jemima.

sirhandel Sun 23-Sep-12 15:38:56

Beatrix is lovely. Not keen on the others

AnOldieButNotSoGoody Sun 23-Sep-12 19:45:49

I know an India.

Vair posh.

MoonHare Sun 23-Sep-12 21:04:42

I LOVE Tabitha. I have one. I also like alliteration in names, within reason, so don't think this instantly makes it a no-no for you. However only you know how it really sounds with your T surname. My second favourite on your list is Beatrix. Jemima is cute. India seems to be either vair posh - Prince Charles' goddaughter for e.g, or teen-mom as someone else has said.

RiaOverTheRainbow Tue 25-Sep-12 01:06:23

They're all nice, but Tabitha, Jemima and Beatrix all make me think of Beatrix Potter, so India seems a bit out of place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now