Talk

Advanced search

James for a girl?

(47 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Fri 21-Sep-12 22:19:52

Could I use James as a middle name for a girl?

I was thinking Amelie James, Seraphina James...

Our surname also begins with J.

I really like the idea of a middle name meaning something, and all the boys in our family (cousins, nephews, my two brothers) have the middle name James as its my grandparents surname but they and siblings only have girls so the name is going to end with this generation..

If I have a girl I'd like to do this too but not sure if its a bit strange.
I already have a DD Matilda Daisy but I didn't think if it then smile

GlaikitFizzog Fri 21-Sep-12 22:23:44

I don't see why not. Especially as its a family name.

ajandjjmum Fri 21-Sep-12 22:24:05

Jamie?

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 21-Sep-12 22:27:10

I am firmly of the opinion that you can do whatever the hell you like with middle names. The odd bit of form filling is the only time they are needed, so you can be as unusual or creative as you like.

It sounds a nice idea. Especially if you are decided that this is going to be your last - would you feel bad that you had 'used up' James if you had a later child who was male. I think it would be odd to have two children with the same middle name and an odd one out.

ValiumQueen Fri 21-Sep-12 22:27:15

Jamie as a compromise?

Actually, I think you could get away with it, and I like the sentiment.

curiousgeorgie Fri 21-Sep-12 22:30:09

Well, fingers crossed tightly this one works out, as its been a long road... And as soon as we manage to see a second all the way through it will definitely be our last child! smile

DH thinks people will think its strange hmm

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Fri 21-Sep-12 22:34:47

Oh, sorry if that was an insensitive question then blush.

curiousgeorgie Fri 21-Sep-12 22:39:29

No! Not at all smile smile

YouMayLogOut Fri 21-Sep-12 22:46:12

I'm afraid I agree with your DH, sorry.

squoosh Sat 22-Sep-12 02:18:01

No

weegiemum Sat 22-Sep-12 02:27:06

My Gran was christened Jessie Adam.

Adam was a family name and as she was the oldest dc she got it.

She wasn't terribly fond of Jessie either. But it's dd2s middle name and it sounds great to me (Jessie not Adam!!)

nooka Sat 22-Sep-12 06:37:23

My mother's middle name is her father's name. Seems a bit weird to me but she's never said that she disliked it (she did adore her dad though).

Kelerina Sat 22-Sep-12 09:33:24

Yes! I like it

Frikadellen Sat 22-Sep-12 09:35:03

I read the thread title thinking OMG no.. However realising you want it for a middlename I would say go for it.

TwoPeasOnePod Sat 22-Sep-12 09:37:32

I love it for a girl or boy. On a girl it sounds intelligent, measured, serious- all good smile who really cares what other people think? It's not their life or child

susiedaisy Sat 22-Sep-12 09:41:07

No, she will spend all of her life explaining to people that its not a mistake when she filled out the form and that she actually meant to put James, which will be tiresome for her!! Sorry

3duracellbunnies Sat 22-Sep-12 09:46:21

I personally would go for Jamie as then it is still sticking to the family tradition, but is more girly. Dd1 is named after her grandma who died before she was born, however it is a variation on the name, not the name itself (it's not, but like Vicki instead of Victoria). She still knows and is proud of the origin of her (first) name, but pleased we went for the nickname as the original is a little old fashioned.

It does though depend on how the name scans as James might scan better. I wouldn't rule it out, but would consider Jamie first.

Bunbaker Sat 22-Sep-12 09:54:07

I prefer Jamie. Also, it might give the impression that you wished she was a boy.

RillaBlythe Sat 22-Sep-12 09:58:14

I think you can have anything as a middle name. I'd go with James. My mum's middle name is Abel & there is a tradition in my family of using middle name Barnes for boys & girls after my great grandfather. So it seems quite unremarkable to me!

rathlin Sat 22-Sep-12 09:59:35

A guy I used to work with had Scarlett as his middle name as it was a family name. A friend has also recently given her baby her surname as she is an only child and wants her surname to be carried on. I think it's nice giving middle names that mean something but in saying that I wouldn't like to have James for my middle name. Jamie is a nice compromise.

tunnocksteacake Sat 22-Sep-12 09:59:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GlaikitFizzog Sat 22-Sep-12 10:01:02

would we be having this debate if the family name was something like lynch or Hamilton which are obviously surnames?

a friends of mine has her aunts full name as middle names because her mother wanted everyone to know who she was names after as there was another aunt who shared the first name.

I think anything goes for middle names and its great way of honoring family names.

lljkk Sat 22-Sep-12 11:35:55

I would think it was quite strange. Could be a strong reason to be teased in school, too.

mysweetie Sat 22-Sep-12 11:49:23

I would go to Jamie too.. compared to James which is very manly and can cause confusion if your baby is a girl or a boy.

DilysPrice Sat 22-Sep-12 11:55:25

What about Jaime?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now