wildpoppy Thu 20-Sep-12 21:04:01

Why? Because it's less like Brian?

pictish Thu 20-Sep-12 21:04:10

Briony surely?

bruffin Thu 20-Sep-12 21:07:06

Briony

Doilooklikeatourist Thu 20-Sep-12 21:10:04

Bryony .
Why ? Because that's the way I think it's spelt .
Looks nicer too .

YouMayLogOut Thu 20-Sep-12 22:12:11

Bryony, like the plant. Briony is a variant form of the name.

YouMayLogOut Thu 20-Sep-12 22:12:55

Less like Brian? Less Briany grin

wildpoppy Thu 20-Sep-12 22:20:34

Yeah, but are too many Ys a bit [whispers], common?

Squeeker Thu 20-Sep-12 22:26:39

Bryony. Looks much prettier than with an 'i'. Lovely name, my best mate has this spelling and she is gorgeous. smile

pictish Thu 20-Sep-12 22:29:16

Poppy - yes too many ys and the other thing you said.

NatashaBee Thu 20-Sep-12 22:29:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bluebird68 Thu 20-Sep-12 22:31:44

Bryony because that's the usual and correct spelling and choosing another variant will lead to years of you and her having to correct people. Trust me where i work I register people (library) and unusual spellings cause so many issues. It also looks better, plus Briony is like you have named the child after a Brian and added on a y to make it feminine.

Leftwingharpie Fri 21-Sep-12 20:00:34

Bryony

strawberryswing Sat 22-Sep-12 08:56:13

I am a bryony, and no matter which way you pick you will be spelling it out constantly.

I hope your daughter doesn't despise the name as much as i do! smile

wildpoppy Sat 22-Sep-12 09:50:54

Really Strawberry - why do you hate it? We're still shortlisting so would love to know.

charlienash25 Mon 24-Sep-12 09:58:21

I love Briony - but pronounced bree-ony..im trying to work my OH on it grin

strawberryswing Wed 26-Sep-12 08:03:21

wildpoppy - everytime i give somebody my name i have to spell it out, sometimes twice, get some funny looks and the 'thats unusual' comments. it doesnt seem much, but when you have to do this through out your whole life with nearly everyone you meet, it becomes pretty annoying very quickly!

plus when i was a child all i ever wanted was to walk in a shop and buy a teddy, mug, door plaque etc with my name on it like and i never could. plus the obligatory 'ha brian!' comments in the playground. in a class full of hannahs, sarahs, rebeccas erc i stood out like a sore thumb when i just wanted to have a normal name to be like everyone else.

although this probably wouldnt affect your daughter because there are so many children with unusal names it becomes less of an issue smile

its just personal taste at the end of the day, i find it dreadful but then does anybody really love their own name? smile

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 26-Sep-12 08:39:58

It was on my short list.
I'd spell it Bryony because that's how the 6 year old I know does.

Spelling seems to be issue with lots of names. DD has to spell both her full name and her chosen NN as there are variants of both.

I sometimes have to spell my married name, but it was my maiden name that caused the most grief.

It's one letter different from something really common. So although it sounds simple you have to spell it every single time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now