Talk

Advanced search

Do you want another American baby named Madison? DOOOO you?

(85 Posts)
CheerfulYank Mon 17-Sep-12 17:02:42

Well then, come help me. grin (Only joking btw, I don't like the name Madison a'tall)

But! I am having a baby! And it's very early days and we're not really telling anyone, and DH is saying we must be cautious, but I don't really do cautious, you see.

Plus, it will take forever for us to hammer out a name, so it's best to start early. Here are all the names we've ever liked, I think. Feel free to throw in suggestions! Oh, and we have one DS who is Samuel Robert.

BOYS:

Charles, called Charlie probably
Nathaniel/Nathan (would most likely end up getting Nate)
William
Alexander (DH loves, I think is ok. I do like Alec; I know sooo many little Alex's)
Jack (not nearly as popular here. My favorite but harsh with our last name)
Rhys

For boy's middles we like Frederick (my dear late Grandfather), James (FIL), Dawson (lots of Dawsons in my family tree, but not for a few generations)...I also kind of like the idea of a Frederick Alexander called Rex for short. (Red + Alex = Rex in my book grin)

GIRLS:

Eleanora (DH's grandmother. Lovely, but so many El names around!)
Caroline
Frances
Louisa
Elizabeth
I also love Annie Rose, but short for something like Susannah Rosamund. I actually love that combination (MIL is Suzanne) but SR are also DS's initials.

For girls' middles I like Rose, which I know is very popular, but my grandfather grew them and I love roses as they make me think of him. I also like Josephine, as a nod to my mother who is Jody.

Thanks for reading my mega-post, throw your thoughts at me! smile

LemarchandsBox Mon 17-Sep-12 17:07:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LemarchandsBox Mon 17-Sep-12 17:07:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

33goingon64 Mon 17-Sep-12 17:27:39

I was just at the playground (in uk) with a Dakota and a Piper. Any of your girls' names are better than those!

CheerfulYank Mon 17-Sep-12 17:34:54

I do sort of like Piper 33, but only as a nickname for Penelope! smile I know twins here named Prairie and Piper. That's a little...much.

RTchoke Mon 17-Sep-12 20:10:02

Is Rhys a common name in the US or would the spelling and pronunciation baffle people?

I love Jack and it goes well with Sam.

CheerfulYank Mon 17-Sep-12 20:13:25

It's not very common here, but I think due to Jonathan Rhys Meyers, etc, more people have heard of it. smile

I think Sam and Jack are lovely as well, but our surname is also one syllable ending in -ck, so I'm not sure. sad I do love it though!

LittleBairn Mon 17-Sep-12 20:13:38

I like Nathaniel best out of your boys names, really like Fredrick Alexander too.

For the girls I think Eleanor Rose would be a beautiful name for a girl and a woman. Love the idea of using Rose for a middle name it honours your grandfather without the burden of being named directly after someone.

Now Penelope is my very favourite name ( not that DH would let me) but I had never though to use Piper as a nickname. Lol at the twin prairie.

SuperB0F Mon 17-Sep-12 20:15:31

Nathaniel and Frances. Now I have Name Envy envy.

SecretNutellaFix Mon 17-Sep-12 20:21:27

Nathaniel and Frances are my faves from your list and they sound good with your surname.

Nathaniel Frederick
Frances Rosamund

MaybeAMayBaby Mon 17-Sep-12 20:47:58

I have an Eleanor-I obviously love it. I did hesitate as I was also worried about all the El names. In fact there are 3 Ella's at nursery (and one over the road!) including an Ella-Dior hmm! But we have started to call her Lennie. She can make her own mind up when she gets to school and decides how many of her preschoolers follow her!

Also love Nathaniel (Nate). A family name for us.

cynner Mon 17-Sep-12 20:50:06

My dialing niece is named Madison, which happens to be a family name. A lovely name for a lovely girl.

CheerfulYank Mon 17-Sep-12 20:53:10

I know some really lovely Madisons as well, Cynner. It was tongue in cheek! smile

cynner Mon 17-Sep-12 21:17:05

I figured as much smile our Madi was born in the early 90's when nary a Madison was in sight. My son, Spenser born several years later was part of the wave of Dylans, Logans, Trinitys, and Ashleys.

cynner Mon 17-Sep-12 21:26:40

Ohhhh..and I meant to say YAY for your little bean!

CheerfulYank Mon 17-Sep-12 21:30:24

Thank you Cynner ! Feel free to weigh in on my lists as well smile

emmyloo2 Mon 17-Sep-12 22:42:11

Charles or Jack would be my favorite boys names although you can't go wrong with William or alexander but they are very popular (as is jack I guess!!)
You have a gorgeous selection of girls names. Elizabeth, Caroline or Eleanora would be my favorites.
Congratulations!

emmyloo2 Mon 17-Sep-12 22:43:18

Gosh also just saw Louisa on your list - also love that. Great choices!

Shesparkles Mon 17-Sep-12 22:45:00

I love Alexander, how about shortening it to Xander?

NimpyWindowMash Mon 17-Sep-12 22:46:30

Ha, we know a Madison. She's a nasty piece of work grin

I like:

Charles or Nathan
Eleanora or Louisa

Please not Rose, everyone picks Rose for a middle name. Josephine is much more interesting

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 17-Sep-12 22:46:57

I vote for Rosamund. Fabulous name.

CheerfulYank Mon 17-Sep-12 23:06:44

Rosamund as a first name, Exit? I do like that although Rosie Surname is not great. sad

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 17-Sep-12 23:08:54

Rosa.

parttimedomesticgoddess Mon 17-Sep-12 23:17:45

How about Rosalie as a mm?

CheerfulYank Tue 18-Sep-12 00:40:36

I think Rosalie is pretty but it reminds me of Twilight now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now